OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Problem connecting secondary router

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello there!

Before I go on with my problem, I'd like to mention that I'm not really familiar with router configuration and networking in general, but I know a thing or two. I hope that I will still be able to get some help here.

I recently switched provider from 20mbit DSL to 100mbit optical and they provided me with modem and router in one. Unfortunately now I'm having constant spikes every 3 minutes on wireless and from my understanding it's the router. I saw spikes while pinging the router and there is no problem when connected with cable. I had no problems with previous provider and router. Correct me please, if the issue could be something else.

So to the problem:
My main router/modem is Alcatel Lucent I-240W-A.
Secondary router is TP-Link TL-WR740N/ND v4 with OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r10530)

Since TP-Link was working fine before, I hope that connecting it to main router with cable and accessing secondary one would solve the spike issue.

I'v been through some tutorials and basically I get stuck at all of them at the point where I have to change secondary router's IP. Whenever I do that and click to apply changes it get's stuck and I have to hard reset the router. Last tutorial I tried was wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap#configuration_via_command_line_tools using web interface.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Um, it could be a lot of things.  Could be congested radio paths. Could be misconfig.  If it were me I would ask your provider to put their device(the Alcatel) and into layer2 mode(sometimes called bridged mode).  After they do that, plug your WAN port from the TP-Link and plug it into the/one of the LAN ports on the Alcatel. 

That's just me, do what you feel.

CB

I doubt that it could be congested radio path because my TP-Link was working in the same channel as this one.  Thanks! Will see if that works.

Those spikes every three minutes could be the router reauthenticating the clients; have a look at the configuration on the primary router.

Now, about configuring the secondary router, remember that you have to reconfigure your computer when you apply those changes, as the router and the computer are now on different networks.

The discussion might have continued from here.