OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Intercept incoming packets on the wifi

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I would like to intercept incoming packets on the wifi link and do XOR operations on the TCP payload in transit.

Currently I am wondering if it's possible to use iptables or netfilter to get that type of functionality. I've seen scripts that let you modify TTL headers and compute checksums, but I want to be able to access the data payload itself. Is there an easy solution for ddwrt or openwrt?

Alternatively, is there any similar project with opensource code which I could borrow and tweak?

Hello Hyseda,

I too am doing something similar.  Ultimately I want to control incoming data streams, TCP and possibly UDP (nonsensical since UDP is not a stream..) and I intend to do so by managing acks and offered windows in the outgoing TCP.  I actually feel fairly comfortable with that.

My intention is to build a Netfilter module so I can grab the packets going by.

I would be quite interested in sharing the experience with others - I am too tired of working solo.

However, I am have a really hard time getting started.  It has been extremely difficult to get a basic netfilter module built in OpenWrt, I'm lost in include path hell, a problem that I will be describing in a separate thread.

If you are interested, I would not mind starting a side conversation on our efforts.

best,
Andy

The discussion might have continued from here.