OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Hootoo HT-TM06 chipset MTK7620

The content of this topic has been archived between 25 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Please do reread everything above, especially about backing up.

1.  Download the firmware listed above and rename it as described above.

2.  Set a static ip: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/ho … windows-7/  10.10.10.254

3.  You need to setup a TFTP server to get the Openwrt firmware file onto the router: http://tftpd32.jounin.net/  Be sure to disable windows firewall.
http://www.tricksguide.com/how-to-setup … ndows.html

Then hook up your computer directly to the router by ethernet cable and follow the directions above.  Make sure that you have the firmware file in the directory of the tftp server, and that you have the correct interface chosen.

Finally, follow the flashing instructions carefully:  Starting with power off, hold power button on router until the first white light comes on, then right away (have a paper clip in place already) release power button and hold the reset button for 25 seconds (use a clock, do not estimate).  The router then looks for the file on a tftp server at 10.10.10.254 with the specific name "kernel" without the quotes and without file extension.  You have setup that server and put the file in place.  If everything works it will flash and reboot.

Thanks for the reply!

I know this may be a little off topic, but my main goal here is to use my router for DSLR Dashboard, which essentially lets me plug my camera into the routers usb port, and control it wirelessly from my tablet with the DSLR Dashboard app.

There has been a custom firmware made with openwrt for TP Link routers, and I thought I may be able to acheive the same with my HooToo router.

Here is a link to the page, with the .ipk package: dslrdashboard.info/ddserver-package-updater

I am having problems uploading it to my device though. This is the error I am receiving:

* pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for ddserver found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
Unknown package 'ddserver'.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ddserver.
ash: /etc/init.d/ddserver: not found

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The problem is that the version you are trying to install is for a different processor.

I compiled the package for the HooToo:

http://www.gl-inet.com/wordpress/wp-con … _24kec.zip

Run the following:

opkg update
opkg install unzip
cd /tmp
wget http://www.gl-inet.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ddserver_0.2-12_ramips_24kec.zip
unzip ddserver_0.2-12_ramips_24kec.zip
opkg install ddserver_0.2-12_ramips_24kec.ipk

Thank you so much!

I was getting errors at first, but somehow I got the package to upload.

Take care

computers-cca wrote:

EASIER METHOD - NO SERIAL NEEDED
There is an undocumented recovery mode: press the power button until the first white light comes on.  Then release the power button and press and hold the reset button for at least 25 seconds.  It then looks for the files on a tftp server at 10.10.10.254 (so set your computer to this static ip, and setup tftp server).  It is looking for a file called "kernel" (without quotes, no file extension), so rename the Gl-inet firmware above to "kernel".  Wait several minutes for it to transfer and write to flash.  It will then start looking for a file called "rootfs".  But here you can just hold power button down and let it shut down, the gl-inet has everything already.  Turn on and it should boot to Openwrt.

cool! How exactly did you find this?

I opened the case up and was working through serial with the bootloader, and made a trial (many routers have this, its just a question of how to get it).  Watching the serial output, it actually counts the time the reset is held, and so I just waited, and saw that the router went into recovery, and it gave me the details about the file and where the IP for the server.  Then I checked to be sure that flashing the GL-inet version would work and it did.  Hope it helps others.

Hi, I was able to tftp the new kernel to the device and then it starts asking for the rootfs file so I reboot, but unfortunately it does not come back up with openwrt. I have tftp'd with both linux and windows. I have waited 2 + hours after uploading the kernel before rebooting to make sure I have waited long enough for the write to finish. I believe I will need to connect via serial to repair unless I am missing a step somewhere. Any guidance would be appreciated.

By the way, could someone elaborate the key services or utils one would use on a custom firmware for hootoo? My  question is, why bother with this, if we can easily purchase something like GLinet and easily customize the router.

The GL.iNet competitive product has an AR9331 at 400Mhz (http://www.gl-inet.com/mifi/#1442566013 … 448f7-2698) and has twice the flash and RAM,  but probably costs $20 more delivered.

The GL.iNet MT300s are supported in trunk and the TM-06 is not.

But, yes I agree.  I have a Kingston MLWG2, and while the work was done to get this into the mainstream, there is no real support for it in terms of buttons, etc.  It kind of kills some of the usability of the device, and I do not think I would go down this path again or at least until it's more flushed out.  The GL.iNet is easy to get going and has vendor support.

To computers-cca instructions on enabling Telnet.  If I take that script and save it as firmware.bin and try to use the stock Firmware Upgrade on the TM06 (V2.000.004) I get an error message saying it is the wrong file format.  I notice that the current update posted on the HooToo site is a .rar file.  Has this changed?  Does anyone know.

Are both the USB ports in this router actually usable to connect devices? Or is the charging port purely charging with no actual data connection?

kirk.wilson wrote:

To computers-cca instructions on enabling Telnet.  If I take that script and save it as firmware.bin and try to use the stock Firmware Upgrade on the TM06 (V2.000.004) I get an error message saying it is the wrong file format.  I notice that the current update posted on the HooToo site is a .rar file.  Has this changed?  Does anyone know.

Same question here!  Ready to play with OpenWRT but can't get telnet working to make a backup...

computers-cca wrote:

Telnet Setup for stock firmware

Workaround for enabling telnet as computers-cca's method didn't work for me or kirk.wilson

Kudos to theodric over in the TM05 thread (post 21)

Save the following code as EnterRouterMode.sh on a USB stick and insert it into TM06. 

#!/bin/sh

export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
ETCPATH="/etc"
#ETCPATH="/data/UsbDisk1/Volume1/etc"

#Start telnetd. Will only give access until reboot.
$ETCPATH/init.d/teld.sh start

#Delete this script so that it only runs once
rm -- "$0"

Having just gone through this, I'll share a note about where the EnterRouterMode.sh on USB stick technique might go wrong.

If you copy the code for the script, make sure your text editor uses UNIX line endings (0x0A, i.e. \n), and not Windows line endings (0x0D 0x0A, i.e. \r\n).  The script wouldn't work for me until I changed this.  If you're on Windows, this is simple enough to do with Notepad++ (or your editor of choice).  In Notepad++, choose Search -> Replace, then make sure "Extended" is selected for Search Mode.

Find what:  \r\n
Replace with:  \n

If you need Notepad++, it's available from: notepad-plus-plus.org

I can confirm this script still works even with the latest stock V2.000.030 firmware.

(Last edited by jekagan on 11 Feb 2017, 19:57)

Can anyone suggest a good OpenWrt recipe (or walk-through) that explains how to configure the network interfaces in a way that roughly approximates the stock behavior of the device?  The sheer number of choices is overwhelming.

I do already have the MAC address(es) backed up as instructed.

Thanks in advance for any tips.  I've played with DD-WRT and Tomato for years, but this is my first foray into OpenWrt.

jekagan wrote:

Can anyone suggest a good OpenWrt recipe (or walk-through) that explains how to configure the network interfaces in a way that roughly approximates the stock behavior of the device?  The sheer number of choices is overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for any tips.  I've played with DD-WRT and Tomato for years, but this is my first foray into OpenWrt.

This router suffers from the same VLAN configuration bug #20739 (can't post links).  You can dive in to the command line fix if you want but I've just learned to live with it for the moment, in the interest of using only the web interface.  I'm sure the problem will be addressed in a future build.

Thus the ethernet port is always VLAN Interface: "eth0.1".  You can delete VLAN 2 and even disable "enable VLAN functionality" from the web interface. 

I'll upload a saved configuration here in a bit that approximately duplicates stock functionality.

hunterdg wrote:

I'll upload a saved configuration here in a bit that approximately duplicates stock functionality.

Sorry, got busy, and don't feel like returning router to stock. 

1. be prepared with TFTP server method to re-flash the OpenWrt image in case you lock yourself out.  I've done it about 10 times by now.

2. enable wifi AP network (see "Secure and Turn on Wifi" in OpenWRT Wiki), make sure is in 'LAN' interface

3. (optional but probably want to do this before #4) if you want wifi<>wifi routing, join another ADDITONAL wifi network as DHCP client and set in WAN interface, and MAKE SURE you have two CONNECTED wifi networks (showing signal strength/BSSID addresses)
NOTE: if the "source" network you are joining has multiple APs for roaming (like hotel or business guest networks), then make sure you DELETE the BSSID that will be auto-populated when joining the network.  The BSSID is unique PER AP, so if you want to roam amongst multiple APs with the same SSID, then you'll want the BSSID to be empty. 

4. if you want ethernet<>wifi routing, remove eth0.1 from the LAN interface bridge and add it to the WAN interface as a DHCP client.  (will loose ethernet connectivity to router so make sure you can access via Wifi first)

This approximates stock (dumb) behavior. 

NOTE: when joining AP networks with intent to use wifi<>wifi routing, if OpenWRT can't successfully connect to the "source" wifi network, it will not broadcast it's own AP network, because the channel of the AP network depends on the channel of the "source" network.  I always set all wifi channel settings to 'auto' (not the default) to help ease the situation.  If you find you can no longer see the AP network after attempting to join a "source" network, in order to regain connection to the router, you will need to have eth0.1 still in the 'LAN' interface, OR have already set up "remote" ssh or http(s) access if eth0.1 is in the WAN interface, OR start from scratch with TFTP method.

to troubleshoot internet/"upstream" network access, use Status>Routes and makes sure you have a WAN Gateway route

(Last edited by hunterdg on 17 Feb 2017, 05:47)

jekagan wrote:

Also I delete all saved MAC addresses because I prefer randomly generated MACs

(Last edited by hunterdg on 17 Feb 2017, 05:40)

Is there a way to restore back to factory firmware without having your mtd backups?

Can you reflash from the vendor firmware somehow or do I need to get someone's backups and restore them?

Thanks
And yes, I'm an idiot for deleting the backups

Looks like I've bricked mine. I'd been restoring using the tftp install method but the last time I did that I got an unusable device, no wifi and no LAN port either.  The battery lights still come on in sequence so something is working.

I may try to crack the case and connect serial if I can find the parts.  Otherwise I know have a battery pack and that's about it.

i have no issue using tftp method, renaming openwrt-gl-mt300n-clean-1.0.bin to kernel.

anyone figured out how to upgrade this thing to 15.05.1?  i accidentally did it once, but had to restore and can't remember how now.  I try uploading openwrt-15.05.1-ramips-mt7620-mt7620a-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin via the upgrade method but it doesnt come back up (light stays blue).

I hope there is still life in this thread.

I update my Tripmate HT-TM06 with OpenWRT..
Did it to see what it looks like since there were no screen shots of menus or layout posted anywhere on here.

So looks cool, but seems a sacrifice to many standard features that the device was made for when using their original interface. Is it possible to run original software from Hootoo as before with OpenWRT at same time?

Since I am "in" now, is there a method so future firmwares from HooToo do not look us out?

If not, how to flash it back back to factory?

(Last edited by wilsonb on 22 May 2017, 02:36)

Someone...

Please post method to restore to original factory firmware.

Cheers..

(Last edited by wilsonb on 21 May 2017, 05:55)

StealthRhino wrote:

Looks like I've bricked mine. I'd been restoring using the tftp install method but the last time I did that I got an unusable device, no wifi and no LAN port either.  The battery lights still come on in sequence so something is working.

I may try to crack the case and connect serial if I can find the parts.  Otherwise I know have a battery pack and that's about it.

Please reply how to restore to Original vendor firmware..
Thanks