OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWrt on TL-WA860RE

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Greetings everyone! Newbie alert! Finally i got hardware which is supported by OpenWrt, got software on it and i got lost a bit. I was trying to configure wireless wan on this, not just as range extender. I can't get it work. Could anyone give me some help about this?

Have a look to the wiki at https://wiki.openwrt.org/, and see if there is a page related to what you need.

I read whole beginners tutorial but i still got stuck at creating wifi network. So, i connect to my main router with openwrt device and i have internet only over lan cable. When i create network, device loose connection with main router but then i can see openwrt network with no internet connection.

I'm not so sure about this but i think here's the first problem: one router is already connected to main router over lan and his IP adress is 192.168.1.1. Openwrt device's IP is also 192.168.1.1. Do i have to change this?

I can't understand Network -> Interface
Under Network -> Wifi i have two networks disabled or not associated. Why?
Where should i start? Make wifi network on which will clients connect or connect to the main router first then make network? Also, what does bridging mean?

(Last edited by lujurisic.pt on 17 Feb 2017, 11:16)

lujurisic.pt wrote:

I'm not so sure about this but i think here's the first problem: one router is already connected to main router over lan and his IP adress is 192.168.1.1. Openwrt device's IP is also 192.168.1.1. Do i have to change this?

Yes, definitively.

Ok i managed the other router so it's adress is now 192.168.2.1 so the 192.168.1.1 is now unused.

I have connected my openwrt device to main router and i have internet connection only over lan cable.
Status of network Openwrt device to main router:
Mode: Client | SSID: lujurisic
BSSID: EC:1D:7F:FB:79:77 | Encryption: WPA2 PSK (CCMP)
Channel: 6 (2.437 GHz) | Tx-Power: 19 dBm
Signal: -61 dBm | Noise: -95 dBm
Bitrate: 86.7 Mbit/s | Country: US

Under general setup here's option called "Network" where i can attach networks to this wireless interface. What is this? i cant find useful information on internet. Please help someone.
Already tried to revert to stock firmware but it says it's unsupported format so i got stuck with this without wifi on my floor. It's quite urgent now..

Update: i managed to have internet access over access point but speed is poor, ping is way too high and i'm beginning to regret installing openwrt on my device.
I am way too new to linux and advanced wifi properties but willing to learn and i just can't do it myself. Also, everytime i change something in hope to improve speed, i loose link with main router i have to do hard reset. Getting really tired of this. Oh yeah, this stuff made my device refusing to flash oem firmware.
I BEG FOR HELP.

The discussion might have continued from here.