OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

For those who will flash the 3200acm via USB/TTL etc. - it expects the default file name to be "rango.img"   That behavior can be changed, but thought to mention it just in case.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 7 Feb 2017, 00:29)

@davidc502
but not with "setenv firmware_name openwrt-..."

Hi,

I've just bought a WRT1200AC, and I've got some problem with DHCP client.

I tried to connect my router to an access point, (Wifi b/g, WEP protection). The connection seems ok, I send and receive packets, but I can't obtain an IP adress. The DHCP client doesn' seems to work, an neither a static IP.

This is really strange because I can connect to this AP with my phone and my laptop, DHCP work, and I can connect to other AP with my WRT1200AC, and DHCP works.

I've looked at syslog and DMESG, and found nothing strange.

What log file do you need to debug this problem ?

I've tried the official stable openWRT, the RC2 lede version, and the davidc502 version. I've got everytime the same result.

Does anyone know if the LED issue is being worked on for the ACM, as well as users still being required to use sysupgrade, as the GUI continually states images are not valid.

@davidc502

Rango led patches are waiting for my giveaway unit to test them....

nitroshift

@davidc502

LED patches have been upstreamed by nitroshift, Ill work on ports to LEDE. Just use the img, scp it to /tmp then just "-F" the sysupgrade, yes this doesnt work onn gui.

lifehacksback wrote:

@davidc502

LED patches have been upstreamed by nitroshift, Ill work on ports to LEDE. Just use the img, scp it to /tmp then just "-F" the sysupgrade, yes this doesnt work onn gui.

Muchas gracias!

David

lifehacksback wrote:

@davidc502

Doesn't work on gui I consider a soft-brick, does this really bother no one?

---

Btw, I spent some quality time last Sunday working on swrt, even built Gargoyle on top. As the changes could be called excessive they need some more testing before I can release them, in time for 4.10 hopefully.

On another note, chances are that mwlwifi will be on time to make it into 4.12.

sera wrote:
lifehacksback wrote:

@davidc502

---

Btw, I spent some quality time last Sunday working on swrt, even built Gargoyle on top. As the changes could be called excessive they need some more testing before I can release them, in time for 4.10 hopefully.

On another note, chances are that mwlwifi will be on time to make it into 4.12.

Hi if your testing does not show up any bad bugs would you pleas share your build of Gargoyle. I love Gargoyle! For me it's the best to use as the GUI works excellent with my screen reader. I use it on all my older routers, but am held back by it being only built on stable OpenWRT. I have both the wrt3200ACM and the WRT1900AC v2 There is builds of gargoyle for them but baste on cc with kernel 3.18

(Last edited by tapper on 10 Feb 2017, 10:55)

sera wrote:
lifehacksback wrote:

@davidc502

It's been like that for about a couple of months now, and though it doesn't bother me too much, new users are often taken by surprise when they try to flash to another build.

sera wrote:

I have been flashing the ACM fine via gui.  I'm guessing it may be something I pulled from reviewing swrt patches that is the difference -- I'll post the patch I'm using some time before this weekend is over.

sera wrote:

It doesn't happen with clean OpenWRT code.

nitroshift

nitroshift wrote:
sera wrote:

It doesn't happen with clean OpenWRT code.

nitroshift

Yeah, my memory is terrible.  I had a patch at one time that fixed a sysupgrade issue but the one remaining patch I use related to sysupgrade allows a custom script to be run at some point during the process, it does NOT fix a bug.

So in other words, I am able to flash the ACM via the gui with clean code.

InkblotAdmirer,

so you are able to flash back to OEM firmware using the gui on the acm? From Davids description I take it LEDE prevents the installation of third party firmware by regular means unlike Linksys or OpenWrt.

---

tapper,

As for Gargoyle I had to set an initial password via serial console, after that it looked like I could be mostly working, can't say for sure as I never looked at it before. From the short stroll Gargoyles design principles make a lot more sense to me than Lucis (which reminds me of HAL). The lack for ipv6 support is quite a let down though.

Just because I built Gargoyle on top of swrt doesn't mean it has any additional features. On the contrary some of the existing ones might be broken. What are the issues you have and hope to magically be solved by replacing the base system? Maybe they aren't hard to fix at all. CC is still maintained after all.

@sera So I really missed the point on that one -- no, I have not tried to flash back to OEM so no opportunity to observe.

Lantis wrote:

Anyone tried the latest chaos calmer commit which "fixes" the USB 2??
I've got a user on a wrt1200ac reporting no USB after this change.
http://git.openwrt.org/?p=15.05/openwrt … d03ece3373

I don't have the 1200 but i will test now on my 1900ac v2

Yep got a bug!
On WRT1900 AC v2 both USB ports work with:
Gargoyle Version:
1.9.X (Built 20170110-2258 git@33deb7b)
I can mount and unmount a fat 16 1 GB drive. Both ports work.

When using Gargoyle Version:
1.9.X (Built 20170209-1606 git@f1e9e21)
Onley one port is working for me it's the port that's just USB. The one that is a USB and Esata combo will not work.

(Last edited by tapper on 12 Feb 2017, 09:31)

Lantis, tapper,

I used the other dts in CC as a means of verification on got lead astray. See https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/388 for the fix. Run tested on Shelby this time. Also fixes Rango and Clearfog.

Not required to revert original commit? Thanks for your fast response.

Lantis,

The original commit was fine except for this missing bit. The effect of both together is it fixes Rango and Clearfog. No changes for the others.

I have a weird situation.  I have cat5 throughout my house. 

When I plug one of the long cable runs into my router(wrt1900ac) I don't get link light and the device on the other end doesn't have connectivity at all.  However, when I plug that same cable run into a gige switch sitting just below my router I get link light on the switch and the remote device works fine. 

Now, if I plug some other device into those previously non functional router ports (much shorter distance) they work flawlessly.

Trust me, I have tried different cables and different ports on the router with same outcome.

Any ideas?

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 17 Feb 2017, 02:57)

kirkgbr wrote:

When I plug one of the long cable runs into my router(wrt1900ac) I don't get link light and the device on the other end doesn't have connectivity at all.  However, when I plug that same cable run into a gige switch sitting just below my router I get link light on the switch and the remote device works fine. 

Now, if I plug some other device into those previously non functional router ports (much shorter distance) they work flawlessly.

Trust me, I have tried different cables and different ports on the router with same outcome.

Any ideas?

Do you know if the house cabling was wired 568A\B standard? If it was the max dependable length is 300ft and that is if the wiring is done properly.

This sounds like a cable length or bad wiring pinout to me.

Chadster766 wrote:
kirkgbr wrote:

Any ideas?

Do you know if the house cabling was wired 568A\B standard? If it was the max dependable length is 300ft and that is if the wiring is done properly.

This sounds like a cable length or bad wiring pinout to me.

No clue on the standard used but you may be on to something.  Would that explain why the same cable run works with a port on the Linksys SE4008 but not the wrt1900ac ?

Thanks for the reply BTW.

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 17 Feb 2017, 13:35)

kirkgbr wrote:

No clue on the standard used but you may be on to something.  Would that explain why the same cable run works with a port on the Linksys SE4008 but not the wrt1900ac ?

Yes some devices can handle wiring issues better than others.

Chadster766 wrote:
kirkgbr wrote:

Yes some devices can handle wiring issues better than others.

Thanks!!

Sorry, posts 14076 to 14075 are missing from our archive.