Dear OpenWRT forums,

I hope this isn't considered too off-topic, but if it is apologies.

I've been trying to get to grips with understanding a couple of devices I have; the Osram Lightify Pro Gateway

This is a ZigBee lighting controller which also has a built in WiFi router and ethernet port, and recently they added a linux gateway for administration via web browser. This also enables you to set up multiple wifi vLans, with differing network access privileges, so you can turn the thing into a wifi hotspot, and still be able to manage you wireless lighting if your existing wifi network goes down. It also has a built in local API interface to allow for third party apps to control the ZigBee lighting side of things by either wired or wifi connections; presumably WAN connections as well if access set up properly.

The reason for me wanting to take a look at this is that Ive been trying to troubleshoot issues with the ZigBee network, as occasionally devices will drop from the network and despite this being a self healing MESH network, you cannot get the devices to be re-recognised by the network coordinator and yet the devices will still be mostly operational..

Problem is that you cannot then set any new configurations for the device that is dropped, as network continues to report it as non-contactable, despite it happily being switched on and off.

But I also got to thinking that the wifi router side of things may be amenable to OpenWRT tweaking, and as the box has some pretty good hardware features, it might make it a very interesting bit of kit to play with, particularly if the ZigBee controller can be included in this.

So, I cracked open the case, and set about trying to find out what I can. This is what I've gotten so far.

There is no FCC ID for this device itself, so that was a blank, but for some of the components ...

ZigBee controller : Delta Electronics ZigBee Controller (fccid H79DFZM-E8210)
Wifi : Broadcom BCM43131TKMLG
ADSL 2+ Modem : Broadcom BCM6319KMMLG
SD Ram : Nanya NT5DS32M16DS-5T

I'm only guessing, through ignorance, but I assume the ADSL modem side of things to drive the ethernet port and router functions.

On the logic board itself, there are a couple of headers. One a 4 pin header marked USBTP5, but the voltage across the VCC and GND pins is only 3.3 volts

The other is a capped off 10 pin header as 2x5 pins, with much smaller pin spacing than the USBTP5, that is marked J801. No idea what this is, but wondering if its a JTAG header?

There is also a mount for an external antenna push fit connection soldered to the board, but no wiring or aperture in the case to allow for the cable.

My primary aim was to see if I could hook up some sort of interface to one of the headers to enable me to monitor the ZigBee traffic directly, through something like Wireshark, but as the voltage is wrong, I don't want to play about with it randomly without getting some more experienced advice first.

As a secondary goal, trying to work out if this would be amenable to OpenWRT fixing would be a bonus.

If I have privileges to do so, I'll try uploading photos of the logic board and relevant bits.

Thanks in advance, and hope not too off topic.

Andy