OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Soldering help - WR703N - External Antennae

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I plan on following this guide

app.box.com/s/cispknq8b9zgog8k5vxn

for the WR703N to give it an external 6bi or 9dbi RP-SMA Antennae
I have never done soldering before but think I understand the basic but have a few questions

according to the guide I solder onto the coxial briad and centre conductor my U.fl IPX to RP-SMA Male Pigtail with the u.fl bit cut off, open the wire and remove the enamel around the wire.

are there two wires inside? Solder one to the coxial briad and one to centre conductor? what exactly are these soldering onto after ive cut the tracks?

Do I just put the soldering iron onto the wire which is on my solder point, or do i need a wire to act as the bridge between the wire and soldering point? what type of wire?

how big of a soldering iron? what would be good for such a small scale?
do i need flux for this?

please help elaborate on these issues, thank you lots!

You can use that, but lead-free solder is preferable for modern stuff as it's better for the environment.

Make sure your coax is a Teflon (PTFE) insulated.   This will withstand soldering heat better.  It takes quite a bit of heat to solder the ground side.  Much cheap coax is polyethylene insulated, and it will melt badly.

The discussion might have continued from here.