OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Hidden WiFi Networks Atheros Bullet CC

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello all,

I found what I believe to be a bug, but would appreciate anyone who can confirm it also as an issue.

Running 15.05.1 on a Bullet M2 device.

After a clean install, or reset, when I perform a WiFi scan, Hidden networks are displayed in the list, as they should be.

After I connect to a network (non-hidden), and perform another scan, hidden networks are no longer displayed in the scan results.  All the non-hidden networks show up as expected.

If I disable the wifi-iface that I connected to/created, hidden networks once again show up.

So, there seems to be some issue with iwinfo when a wifi-iface has been defined, at least on Atheros devices.

I also installed the iwinfo bin file to run that manually.  Same results.

When I run iwinfo radio0 scan it will show hidden networks if I have wifi-iface not defined, or disabled.  Once it exists, or enabled, iwinfo radio0 scan does not show the hidden networks.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks,
John

Just to add to this, when I run iw wlan0 scan, that works fine, regardless of the existing WiFi connection.

In other words, iwinfo shows no hidden networks, while iw does.

So it seems to be specific to iwinfo itself, since iw works fine and I would imagine they both are using the same Atheros (compat) drivers for the results.

If someone can point me to the right place to log this issue, I am happy to do so.

Is iwinfo part of OpenWRT?  Or a separately maintained package?

The discussion might have continued from here.