OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can't install Netgear A6210 (mt7612U) on Asus WL-500Gv2 OpenWrt

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
I want to connect the Netgear A6210 usb wifi adapter to the router and use it as AP.
I try to install the kmod-mt76 package and others, edit the wifi config file and try to dedect wifi but nothing.

I'm new regarding that. please help me.

in lsusb i saw "Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0846:9053 NetGear, Inc." but i cant succsess to do somthing else.

(Last edited by nachum37 on 11 Jan 2017, 06:24)

While this should work in general, trying to push 802.11ac -and USB even less- through the CPU of your WL-500GP v2 is probably pushing your luck a bit too far (you're limited by the 100 MBit/s ethernet ports to begin with, but USB storage on routers of those specifications, with USB being quite CPU intensive, was typically limited to around 2.0-2.5 MByte/s, this is probably a very similar constraint for a wlan card, with wlan being rather timing sensitive, it might be that your router CPU is already overwhelmed with pushing management frames alone).

(Last edited by slh on 11 Jan 2017, 14:02)

Thanks for your answer. I Understand.
I'm not plan it for heavy use like fast internet connection through ac. only for stream mp3 music from storage to phone, but the built-in wlan have only b and g, even not n, with very limited range.

But it seems like the router not recognize properly the adapter as wlan interface. i don't see the adapter nowhere, only in lsusb but not anywhere besides.

My question is simple, what is the procedure for install usb wifi adapter? (what to write and where, etc). i dont know how to do that.

(I'm sorry about my bad english, isn't my native language).

(Last edited by nachum37 on 11 Jan 2017, 23:44)

The discussion might have continued from here.