OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Archer c7 ver2

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I tried to find an ac router that would run openwrt.  I settled on the archer c7 v2.  I struggled for a few hours bypassing the new lock (error code 180005).  I finally got openwrt installed.  I ended up with kernel version 3.18.29.  I know get lots of kernel dependency errors when installing packages. 

Is there a different distribution feeds for this kernel?

or

Should I install a kernel of 3.18.23 is there one where the 5ghz radio will work?  ( Where would I locate this firmware?)

I have tried googling this, but so much gets confused with the old version of the hardware.  It is one of those instances where the hardware shares the same name, but is not the same hardware.

Thanks in advance.

(Last edited by whitbacon on 3 Jan 2017, 16:33)

I am about to give up on this project.  I tried flashing from the version I was on to the stock archer c7 v2 firmware and it froze the router.  I guess I am out of luck for a little while.

TFTP recover should get you back to stock.

If 5 GHz performance is important, you want a newer kernel to be able to use the newest ath10k.  So that means a trunk build or LEDE.

I found that the current stable release is fine EXCEPT when my phone updated to Marshmallow, I then started to get it disconnecting and lag in things loading. All other devices were fine however apart from a reduction in real-world speed to 400Mbit compared to the older release.

On the other hand I just upgraded to trunk and am now back to 500Mbit and it seems to solve the stability issue on my phone.

Just bear in mind that to use trunk you need to know how to SSH in and install the web ui and 5Ghz WiFi modules.  Plus if you ever need to install kernel modules later you inevitably find out they upgraded the kernel in trunk requiring you to flash the latest trunk version before you can do so.

So I would highly recommend going for the stable release unless you know what you are doing, and even then it can be easier to get the initial configuration sorted there first.  You aren't technically supposed to upgrade without wiping the configuration from stable to trunk, but it usually works fine in my experience and means I do not have to remove the other network devices while doing so, as I would if it reset to default which conflicts with my network configuration.

I don't mean to bump an old topic by going off topic but are you saying that both the stable and trunk releases do not support the 5GHz modules?

My Archer C7's 5GHz radio is not turning on, that's why I ask.

The discussion might have continued from here.