OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Xiaomi Mi WiFi 3 Router Unboxing, Teardown, solder Serial Console

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

This router have standard MT7620A why have not been supported?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERAKolFLYxk

(Last edited by freewifimarketing.net on 9 May 2017, 05:29)

what power design this is? any ext PA/LNA components or int only are used? can you dump factory partition?

Thanks for doing this, freewifi.

From what I can see in the video, it looks like the 5G chip is completely barefoot to the antennas while the 2.4 chains have a TR switch and LNA but no PA.

It is definitely an entry level router, but being dual band, 128 MB RAM, USB port, and under $30 it has potential for many projects.  Having real external antennas that are active their whole length rather than the typical little stubs inside big plastic covers, may help offset the low transmit power.

So can anyone add support for this to LEDE? What would it take?

Has this device CE/FCC-certification ? If yes, I would also participate in sponsoring to support this device.

anarchy99 wrote:

can you dump factory partition?

OK, let me try

(Last edited by freewifimarketing.net on 30 Nov 2016, 12:41)

could not enter serial console, input is disable, how can I dump these partition?

here is bootlog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ykWKH6aDw

(Last edited by freewifimarketing.net on 7 Dec 2016, 10:20)

freewifimarketing.net wrote:

could not enter serial console, input is disable,

Try to trace the wiring from the serial plug to the CPU.  Look for a missing resistor (jumper).

mk24 wrote:
freewifimarketing.net wrote:

could not enter serial console, input is disable,

Try to trace the wiring from the serial plug to the CPU.  Look for a missing resistor (jumper).

Thank you for your answer, I can connect to serial, but could not enter any thing firmware not response to command, just send information to console only

(Last edited by freewifimarketing.net on 8 Dec 2016, 11:39)

I guess mk24 suggests that only the TX line is connected to the CPU/SoC, i.e. you can only receive and not transmit.

mk24 wrote:

Thanks for doing this, freewifi.

From what I can see in the video, it looks like the 5G chip is completely barefoot to the antennas while the 2.4 chains have a TR switch and LNA but no PA.

It is definitely an entry level router, but being dual band, 128 MB RAM, USB port, and under $30 it has potential for many projects.  Having real external antennas that are active their whole length rather than the typical little stubs inside big plastic covers, may help offset the low transmit power.

Antennas are full length
https://scontent.fhan2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15253540_1382180411806789_7098957979602392571_n.jpg?oh=59c6f3c67419678f809f36e59fcac192&oe=58AF4F21
however the board is just half of the case

https://scontent.fhan2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15179093_1381340701890760_5076246733570922016_n.jpg?oh=2bf514181ad4859a03c0e8fdb4131fe1&oe=58F4FCC8

(Last edited by freewifimarketing.net on 17 Dec 2016, 17:25)

Does the router have a CE certification (logo) ?

augustus_meyer wrote:

Does the router have a CE certification (logo) ?

I see CE certification nowhere

this router has my interest as well will get one once its supported. as for ssh i have read that wih a (xiaomi) developers firmware it can be enabled. try a google search on that

(Last edited by mrt8 on 9 Mar 2017, 18:07)

mrt8 wrote:

this router has my interest as well will get one once its supported. as for ssh i have read that wih a (xiaomi) developers firmware it can be enabled. try a google search on that

If you can share the link, I would try

hey freewifimarketing.net

i do not have the link and i cannot give it to you since i am not sure and cant be since i do not have the device.

however i think that you might have skipped some development around the router.

yes according to many threads including on this same forum in other threads of the same mi wifi 3 router there is an SSH developers version of the xiaomi firmware which as far as i have read can be downloaded from the xiaomi website.

furthermore more than one members have flashed it.

besides the point there are members running even openwrt/lede on this same device and claim its supported but the supported devices list are not updated.

on the lede forum you might find more information i tried to find the thread on which people had it running but couldnt find.

this lead me to buy the 2 devices myself for a crazy price btw 13 dollar mi wifi mini and 30 mi wifi 3.

i would like to be of more value to get this cleared out so people can start using openwrt normally on this device and would love too since im awaiting my devices as well

hope all is fine

the thread the claims of support have been made:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 18#p354218

furthermore a google search will give you several threads also outside of wrt.
only thing sure ive read is for SSH support xiaomi developers version will be needed from xiaomi or maybe you can request it from a user, im eager to start trying myself btw so

everyone is very silent about this router too bad.

http://prometheus.freize.net/index.html this firmware is supported too by this router. havent tried yet as im still awaiting. hope to hear some news from anyone

the same day i got it i flashed a devel version to enable ssh and straight after flashed latest padavan from latest sources with prometheus. prior to the flash i soldered and tried out serial ports it is true that the RX is locked. havent tried after the padavan version im not sure if it alters the bootloader as well after flashing it ill give it a try and make a post

btw for those not familiar padavan has entware support, unfortunately there is no variety of packages as for my scope of wanting to use the usb port with a rtl8187 to work as wwan. i heard the following is possible on xiaomi firmware although i tested it on padavan, making the router a repeater. i was curious how the antennas work because it can work with as a client.. was interested in if the antennas are one rx one tx or not. if so i could hookup a pigtail straight to the parabolic antenna for my scope of a wwan which could be effective.

freewifimarketing are you still around bro

(Last edited by mrt8 on 13 Apr 2017, 11:09)

It's a 2x2 MIMO system.  Both antennas receive and transmit.  If only one has a signal path to the other router, it will still work but at half the data rate.  So you can simply replace one of the antennas with a parabolic.

i have the mi 3 128 mb rom 128 mb ram

The discussion might have continued from here.