OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: '/tmp' folder taking up most of my space

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

New to openwrt, running a seeeduino cloud. I do not have enough space to put my source code into the root directory, but I noticed I have 10+ mb in '/tmp'. My thought is to either change the partition size for this folder, or place the source code here into '/tmp'.

I tried placing my source code into this file. However, any files I place in the folder are deleted when I reset the device.

Is there a configuration or startup file of some kind that causes the any new files in '/tmp' to be deleted or is it at the kernel level?

It is very possible I am approaching this entirely wrong, so any guidance would be appreciated.

You're "approaching this entirely wrong", /tmp/ is tmpfs backed (== a RAM filesystem), which means it loses its contents by definition whenever the device gets (re-)started.

Thanks for the response. I'll try to just use bytecode instead of the whole source.

Adding some more storage space by connecting a cheap USB thumb drive could be an option for you. Having data such as "source code" doesn't sound like being required to be mounted as a startup script, so that should be an easy task with a huge impact.

The discussion might have continued from here.