OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: IP Webcam in OpenVPN

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have setup my OpenWRT box (TP-Link WDR4300 with Chaos Palmer 15.05.01) in a OpenVPN network with external OpenVPN server. That works so far. The VPN network is 10.8.0.0/24, the physical interfaces of the box are 192.168.1.0/24 (LAN) and 192.168.178.0/24 (WAN). Now I want to connect an IP webcam via ethernet and access it via the VPN. What are the best options? DHCP would give the camera a 192.1.68.1.x address. Is forwarding the address to the VPN ok, or should I give a 10.8.0.1 address to one of the pyhiscal ports? How would I do this?

eehmke, webcam in your case is located behind NAT of router with VPN-client?

ulmwind wrote:

eehmke, webcam in your case is located behind NAT of router with VPN-client?

Guess so, yes. Just as the other 192.168.1.x adresses, where my PC and notebook are.

eehmke, you try to access camera in following path:
Internet -> Router with VPN-server -> Router with VPN-client -> Web-camera
To my mind, you can do it as follows:

1. On the Router with VPN-server open port for incoming connections and forward it to Router with VPN-client;

2. On the Router with VPN-client open port for incoming connections via VPN and forward it to IP of Web-camera.

The discussion might have continued from here.