OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Orange Brightbox building openWRT image

The content of this topic has been archived between 15 Apr 2018 and 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

davie wrote:

Ok, what about the Bright Box 2 that has good specs maybe I should try with one of those?

This starts to wander off-topic for this thread, but: when considering a model with no existing support it really depends what resources you can bring to it (patience/time/money/skills/kit).  Some SoCs apparently in that family (EEBB2 has BCM63368, Inteno DG301B has BCM63268) have been OpenWrt-ed but sometimes a single digit can actually mean a wildly different SoC (Broadcom almost never releases any docs on anything).

Personally since there doesn't seem to be much of a price difference, in the UK buying-castoff-CPE category I currently favor the BT HomeHub 5 (~£13 delivered with a little eBay patience; decent grunt, gig ethernet, decent flash space/memory), but the installation process does currently require some fine-pitch soldering which might not be your cup of tea, it requires OpenWrt from trunk, and there are still some slightly rough edges.

davie wrote:

I dont mind getting on of those and having a go or trying on the Bright Box 1.

If your (vertical/standing) EEBB1 will otherwise gather dust and you've nothing to lose by trying, sure.  It seems worth at least documenting what's inside the case, even just to get a board ID (and especially just in case it's actually the same board).  Usually the worst case is that you determine it'd be too much work, and maybe break a clip or lose a screw so it doesn't go back together as neatly.  Beyond that, again consider patience/time/money/skills/kit.  This forum never promises anything, and there are limits to how much help you can ever expect when you're the only motivated person with a unit actually in your hands (which is why lots of folks wanting support offer to mail a spare to a more techie person).  But if you have some energy, go for it; anything I've learned about this stuff I've learned just by getting stuck in and trying it.  Typically the ability to fix stuff you break is directly proportional to motivation.  And even if you don't finish, any partial documentation you leave for the next person leaves the ecosystem better than you found it.

davie wrote:

The brightbox (AR7516) theyre around a tenner now for a new one so pretty good price I think so I got one.

Should be ~£4 on eBay delivered, if you can be bothered to bid on many until you win one.

zx82 wrote:
davie wrote:

Ok, what about the Bright Box 2 that has good specs maybe I should try with one of those?

This starts to wander off-topic for this thread, but: when considering a model with no existing support it really depends what resources you can bring to it (patience/time/money/skills/kit).  Some SoCs apparently in that family (EEBB2 has BCM63368, Inteno DG301B has BCM63268) have been OpenWrt-ed but sometimes a single digit can actually mean a wildly different SoC (Broadcom almost never releases any docs on anything).

Personally since there doesn't seem to be much of a price difference, in the UK buying-castoff-CPE category I currently favor the BT HomeHub 5 (~£13 delivered with a little eBay patience; decent grunt, gig ethernet, decent flash space/memory), but the installation process does currently require some fine-pitch soldering which might not be your cup of tea, it requires OpenWrt from trunk, and there are still some slightly rough edges.

davie wrote:

I dont mind getting on of those and having a go or trying on the Bright Box 1.

If your (vertical/standing) EEBB1 will otherwise gather dust and you've nothing to lose by trying, sure.  It seems worth at least documenting what's inside the case, even just to get a board ID (and especially just in case it's actually the same board).  Usually the worst case is that you determine it'd be too much work, and maybe break a clip or lose a screw so it doesn't go back together as neatly.  Beyond that, again consider patience/time/money/skills/kit.  This forum never promises anything, and there are limits to how much help you can ever expect when you're the only motivated person with a unit actually in your hands (which is why lots of folks wanting support offer to mail a spare to a more techie person).  But if you have some energy, go for it; anything I've learned about this stuff I've learned just by getting stuck in and trying it.  Typically the ability to fix stuff you break is directly proportional to motivation.  And even if you don't finish, any partial documentation you leave for the next person leaves the ecosystem better than you found it.

davie wrote:

The brightbox (AR7516) theyre around a tenner now for a new one so pretty good price I think so I got one.

Should be ~£4 on eBay delivered, if you can be bothered to bid on many until you win one.

Ok, I wasn't aware of how much a slight difference can affect openwrt running on them, or the variants they have in the BB2 tbh, regarding the new brightbox one i have I just dont want to end up without bb but I actually have flashed 3 home hub 5As they run perfectly with custom built firmware, but like you said theres slight issues and thats the only reason I didnt want to mess with the EE brightbox, I already am using them around the house, repeaters, samba etc (hh5a),

I prefer buying new ones tbh though as you never know what condition a used on is in, the HH5A (new ones) cost upwards of 30 for a new one if youre lucky on ebay as the rrp is still £109 both prices a bargain considering their specs, with the brightbox you cant buy a new one for £4 but if youre ok with using an older one thats fine however you never know if its been used for 1 month or 2 years and will die in a couple of weeks.

Openwrt enables routers to do way more than a standard router can, a lot of people like me buy routers just to install openwrt on them not just to recycle old routers.

ps few links for NEW ones before you say they should be £1 tongue

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-hom … -90RY.html
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EE-Bright-Box … SwuAVWx0Jg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EE-Wireless-R … SwxehXO4cM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Home-Hub-5 … SwdzVXmMoQ <<< cheapest sealed one

So I still stand by a tenner is good value for a router you can customise with openwrt, and the hub 5 is a bargain at £30 again new um sure the prices youre quoting are correct for used ones so no offense intended just sayin.

I will probably open the vertical one up and upload pics I just hope that it is the same as the flat one I guess we will see soon enough, I will first get another router on my line working then crack open the new bb1 and post pics.

(Last edited by davie on 27 Jul 2016, 22:30)

Just an update, Ok, well my new brightbox arrived (old style) updated cfe and flashed with my custom image all went well cheers, I have ordered screw driver so i can remove the screws off the New upright BB1 as I dont already have one of those.

In the meantime I did comparisons of the two based on the GUI, Both identical but carry different boot code and runtime versions, there's another difference which will probably prevent the flashing of the new BB1 via the cfe web interface, the CFE web server requests a password to access it and its not the password for the EE Web interface

davie wrote:

the screws off the New upright BB1

Screw type is just the sort of thing that's useful to have in the wiki page.  Guess they're Torx then?  What size?  When they're big enough you can usually get away with a narrow flat-blade driver, in a pinch.

davie wrote:

the GUI, Both identical but carry different boot code and runtime versions

Interesting, thanks.

davie wrote:

there's another difference which will probably prevent the flashing of the new BB1 via the cfe web interface, the CFE web server requests a password to access it and its not the password for the EE Web interface

If it's the same underlying SoC (and unless they've been real gits about it), it may be possible to downgrade to an older firmware version using the main (post-CFE) web interface, and dodge that problem.  The other thing you could test before you get the screwdriver is whether "manufactory" mode (described on the wiki page) is still accessible in this newer firmware.  If it is, by uttering the right incantations it should be possible to grab the newer CFE and extract the password (I'd wager it's constant across devices, or deterministic); if the password isn't easy to extract, "manufactory" mode should still give you enough control to install OpenWrt (it's a bit tedious that way but I've done it before).

If it's the same underlying SoC (and unless they've been real gits about it), it may be possible to downgrade to an older firmware version using the main (post-CFE) web interface, and dodge that problem.  The other thing you could test before you get the screwdriver is whether "manufactory" mode (described on the wiki page) is still accessible in this newer firmware.  If it is, by uttering the right incantations it should be possible to grab the newer CFE and extract the password (I'd wager it's constant across devices, or deterministic); if the password isn't easy to extract, "manufactory" mode should still give you enough control to install OpenWrt (it's a bit tedious that way but I've done it before).

Thanks for your suggestions, I have no clue how to access post-CFE, but I tried the manufactory mode as you suggested and after i change the url and hit enter it asks for a password, again the one on the routers label doesnt work, also I thought its worth mentioning that the new model (upright) has a lower boot code version and runtime version numbers than the ee branded shiny model(flat one).

zx82 wrote:
i0s wrote:

I haven't got time to fully go thru the hardware.

I don't know what you mean, or what you think you have to do.  Everything but DSL should just work.

i0s wrote:

Just asking, is it possible to make ADSL working if in case the BCM6328 SoC can be replaced with other supported BCM chips. I know it needs extra equipment and effort to replace SOCs.

That's akin to asking whether you can desolder the Intel CPU on your laptop motherboard and replace it with an AMD one (no, you can't).  You can obtain an external standalone DSL modem (or even another router for which there is DSL support) and do PPPoE.

Hi zx82,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not desperate about my intentions only asked if its possible so I can play around with my DIY skills in spare time.

About SoC's I'm not exactly sure whether your reply justifies my question.But I understand its completely different with AMD and Intel and when coming to this router considering the BRCM series I thought any other SoC of same series would be a good replacement if it supports ADSL. Also I agree that replacing the SoC's is not a handy job but with proper equipment which I've now it can be easy for me. Again I'm not a fan of ADSL!!! neutral

Anyway coming to setting up router via WAN I completely lost because I'm new to openwrt and did try some things like bridging randomly which is not a good way I believe. I need your help in this as I've already posted my query on stack exchange but haven't got replies yet. Please take a look at my question in the below link.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions … e-provider

Thanks again for your time and hard work in supporting this router.

davie wrote:

is the ee bright box 1 the same as the ee brightbox? I have the one standing up but its labelled bright box 1 wondering if I can put openwrt on it? https://broadband.ee.co.uk/ee-bright-box-router

Hi Davie,

Welcome on board smile !!! AFAIK there is nothing like EE Brightbox 1 and not sure if it was under Orange. I got 2 EEbrightboxes originally branded from EE and both have not got any suffix numbered 1. So I think only EEbrightbox and EEbrightbox2 were released into the market. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong. Hope you're enjoying the hacks!!!

Happy Hacking wink

(Last edited by i0s on 30 Jul 2016, 17:31)

i0s wrote:
davie wrote:

is the ee bright box 1 the same as the ee brightbox? I have the one standing up but its labelled bright box 1 wondering if I can put openwrt on it? https://broadband.ee.co.uk/ee-bright-box-router

Hi Davie,

Welcome on board smile !!! AFAIK there is nothing like EE Brightbox 1 and not sure if it was under Orange. I got 2 EEbrightboxes originally branded from EE and both have not got any suffix numbered 1. So I think only EEbrightbox and EEbrightbox2 were released into the market. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong. Hope you're enjoying the hacks!!!

Happy Hacking wink

Thanks, but upon opening it just it appears the 2016 BB1  is the same model with a few changes made eg updated style and software, regarding wan, what you would have to usually do is, add new interface and setup the protocol and settings for the connection, assign it to an interface eg eth1 and also assign it to the firewall rules WAN. that should make it work without bridging.

Serial?

https://s26.postimg.org/oaurqmkw9/20160731_132744.jpgimg upload

davie wrote:
i0s wrote:
davie wrote:

Hi Davie,

Happy Hacking wink

Thanks, but upon opening it just it appears the 2016 BB1  is the same model with a few changes made eg updated style and software, regarding wan, what you would have to usually do is, add new interface and setup the protocol and settings for the connection, assign it to an interface eg eth1 and also assign it to the firewall rules WAN. that should make it work without bridging.

Hi Davie,

I'm not 100% sure coz I haven't got the board to test it but AFAIK the marked header pins in the image below should be the serial pins starting from left pin (marked arrow) to be the positive 3.3V followed by TX,RX,GND.
Before you try better check with others who have got it tested.

https://s31.postimg.org/5ohqwdfl7/20160731_132744.jpgimage gratuite

BTW thanks for the advice on setting up WAN but unfortunately thats not the real issue for me. Basically my setup is like this for now, after fresh install I've set root passwd and then enabled WiFi.Next I've changed settings under LAN interface, changed protocol to DHCP, checked bridge to eth0 and Wireless.After that saved settings and switched the router off and then back on.

Now I got both ethernet and wifi working from router but I couldn't access the router login page because all the IP settings are changed to DHCP in which they belong to my actual Wireless CPE device. Thats where the trouble starts and I've to re-flash the router to get access to router login.

Think i found a old thread who has got similar issue but didn't quite understand the solution...check this https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=58468

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for your input, Yeah Im not sure if its the serial or how to update the cfe even if I do get serial access, I will probably just put it back together and continue to use one of the others with openwrt, regarding the lan DHCP problem you have, I have made that mistake before setting lan to DHCP it nocks access  to the routers IP address thats why you cant access the routers login, I suppuse you could access it by connecting it to another router and accessing it via the IP address the second router allocates it, tbh you shouldnt have to mess with the lan settings to get it to work.

If it helps heres how my average lan settings are

protocol static
default gateway ip and netmask

physical interface:

ibridge interface
lan
wireless
f
irewall:
lan

BTW thanks for the advice on setting up WAN but unfortunately thats not the real issue for me. Basically my setup is like this for now, after fresh install I've set root passwd and then enabled WiFi.Next I've changed settings under LAN interface, changed protocol to DHCP, checked bridge to eth0 and Wireless.After that saved settings and switched the router off and then back on.

Now I got both ethernet and wifi working from router but I couldn't access the router login page because all the IP settings are changed to DHCP in which they belong to my actual Wireless CPE device. Thats where the trouble starts and I've to re-flash the router to get access to router login.

Think i found a old thread who has got similar issue but didn't quite understand the solution...check this https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=58468

(Last edited by davie on 3 Aug 2016, 14:30)

davie wrote:

Thanks for your input, Yeah Im not sure if its the serial or how to update the cfe even if I do get serial access, I will probably just put it back together and continue to use one of the others with openwrt, regarding the lan DHCP problem you have, I have made that mistake before setting lan to DHCP it nocks access  to the routers IP address thats why you cant access the routers login, I suppuse you could access it by connecting it to another router and accessing it via the IP address the second router allocates it, tbh you shouldnt have to mess with the lan settings to get it to work.

If it helps heres how my average lan settings are

protocol static
default gateway ip and netmask

physical interface:

ibridge interface
lan
wireless
f
irewall:
lan

Thanks Davie. Yes thats exactly I was thinking and I've already opened a new post regarding my issue and If you have time please check my post at this link https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=66556

And let me know your thoughts.

(Last edited by i0s on 5 Aug 2016, 10:34)

zx82 wrote:

ADSL isn't supported (open support for Broadcom SoCs in general just doesn't exist) but the rest of the hardware is.  LEDs/buttons/GPIOs might get incorrect names but that's purely cosmetic.  Kernel messages may name a different model since it piggybacks on the build for a similar board rather than having its own build.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/arcadyan/ar7516

Feedback welcome.

Hope you are doing fine. If you have time could you please look into my issues posted in the link below.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=66556

Thanks.

As you requested I already answered that post and according to your setup you are connecting to a third party router/ap right? well you dont need adsl running for that setup.  You need adsl when the router is connected to the phone line.

i0s wrote:
zx82 wrote:

ADSL isn't supported (open support for Broadcom SoCs in general just doesn't exist) but the rest of the hardware is.  LEDs/buttons/GPIOs might get incorrect names but that's purely cosmetic.  Kernel messages may name a different model since it piggybacks on the build for a similar board rather than having its own build.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/arcadyan/ar7516

Feedback welcome.

Hope you are doing fine. If you have time could you please look into my issues posted in the link below.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=66556

Thanks.

Hi everybody i made a mistake instead of uploading CFE... .bin (firmware updater) in boot loader updater i uploaded it in
advance setting>tools > firmware update section.
now on entering 192.168.1.1 i get nothing
power light and lan light turns on , i tried several times to reset by pressing and holding reset button but nothing....any help how can i get it to stock or boot loader and software update screen.
and a link to open wrt flash file for bright box 1 with Broadcom chip on board.
I needed the option of wireless bridging that was not present on stock .

(Last edited by junaidcool21 on 24 Sep 2016, 18:25)

junaidcool21 wrote:

Hi everybody i made a mistake instead of uploading CFE... .bin (firmware updater) in boot loader updater i uploaded it in advance setting>tools > firmware update section.

Sounds like you're saying you fed it the improved CFE where it was expecting firmware (but I'm not sure I understand you, and I'm surprised it'd allow you to make that mistake).  That's not the end of the world, because the installation instructions assume only that you have a working CFE, which you still should.  So just ignore the mistake and follow the instructions from the top...

junaidcool21 wrote:

and a link to open wrt flash file for bright box 1 with Broadcom chip on board.

...which will tell you which image you want from the normal downloads directory.  I'd link to it, but I really want to encourage you to read the instructions.

thanks for replying ....
you understood me correct .I did not followed the instructions correctly.I uploaded image at wrong place.
now i am unable to reset the device (tried everything with buttons) there is empty page on 192.168.1.1
no upload page is present either CFE page or stock firmware.
Anything i can do to get the firmware upload page back on device ...
i just want to get the wireless bridging option on this device whatever openwrt firmware version works best on this give me link.
thanks (sorry for inconvenience  i am medical student not so much technically advance)

i will send u screenshot of page

junaidcool21 wrote:

(sorry for inconvenience  i am medical student not so much technically advance)

That helps!  You'll have exemplary communication skills, you'll be able to follow instructions carefully when needed (and ask sensible questions when the instructions are unclear), and you'll know when you need help (do you have a more technical friend, preferably one studying electronics?). 

junaidcool21 wrote:

no upload page is present either CFE page or stock firmware.
Anything i can do to get the firmware upload page back on device ...
(tried everything with buttons)

Can you clarify "tried everything with buttons"?  Specifically, it'd help to know: that you've tried following "Replace bootloader" (carefully!); at what step it behaves differently from what's described; and what exactly happens instead.

What I think you're saying is that you get to step 6 of "Using CFE web (http) server" but the page never loads (but I'm guessing; you need to try again, and say so).  If you can't get that page after a few tries, get a technical friend to try.  If they can't either, they'd need to at least establish serial access to investigate (which probably means some soldering, and even then is no guarantee).

junaidcool21 wrote:

i just want to get the wireless bridging option on this device whatever openwrt firmware version works best on this give me link.

You can't replace the firmware until you sort out this problem.  When you have, you'll find it in https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … x/generic/

Can you clarify "tried everything with buttons"?  Specifically, it'd help to know: that you've tried following "Replace bootloader" (carefully!); at what step it behaves differently from what's described; and what exactly happens instead

I did not pressed the reset button and power on step , i just reset the device and after browsing the configuration page
uploaded the file (CFE).bin in firmware update. Then i again read the steps and i know i have done a mistake. I have to power on device while pressing reset button then i am going to get the page of bootloader as well as firmware upload.
Now i pressed the reset plus wps button to gather while powering on, pressed the reset button while powering on and holding it for 3 second.
but still on the same point.

they'd need to at least establish serial access to investigate

I can soldering and the stuff.?

(Last edited by junaidcool21 on 27 Sep 2016, 14:11)

Thanks a lot i sort out the problem and i did it
i flashed the CFE file successfully ....
now i have the page of software update
just only one question the link you have given various firmware files
which one is supposed to b the one for brightbox 1 (openwrt-15.05.1-brcm63xx-generic-A4001N-squashfs-cfe.bin) this one
then i have to do usb and wifi fix step also??
thanks

junaidcool21 wrote:

which one is supposed to b the one for brightbox 1 (openwrt-15.05.1-brcm63xx-generic-A4001N-squashfs-cfe.bin) this one

Yep, as per the installation instructions.

junaidcool21 wrote:

then i have to do usb and wifi fix step also??

For your use case, at least the WiFi fix, yes.

THANKS
i have done the flash successfully.

I successfully flashed openwrt on my orange bright box but now I want to go back to factory firmware. I found original factory firmware rips on the internet but how do I flash them?

The discussion might have continued from here.