OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Is the RE450 now supported?

The content of this topic has been archived between 31 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

radekdostal wrote:

1)

=== additionally couple of questions ===

Q1: what is lede-re450.bin ?

Q2: In which mode you operated your TPLINK when you measured that 94mbps throughput? I noticed that you had relatively old version of u-boot flashed and at that time AP mode maybe was not yet supported by TP-LINK. All my test I have done were in AP mode not in the repeater mode.

Thanks for the instructions. About your questions:

Q1: Just renamed your bin file from Git to make it easier for me on the serial console.
Q2: I was on your actual Lede version during the tests. I tested it with IPerf3. Do you (or the others) have some performance measurements? I think I have a problem in my network setup.

I'm now having a newer U-Boot version (after the upgrade to the May version of the TPLink firmware).

brandst wrote:

Thanks for the instructions. About your questions:

Q1: Just renamed your bin file from Git to make it easier for me on the serial console.
Q2: I was on your actual Lede version during the tests. I tested it with IPerf3. Do you (or the others) have some performance measurements? I think I have a problem in my network setup.

I'm now having a newer U-Boot version (after the upgrade to the May version of the TPLink firmware).

Ad Q1: that explains your issues, the files on my git are either in TP-Link format (...factory.bin) or in sysupgrade (...sysupgrade.bin) format. These are than parsed by firmware update utility, before being written to the flash. As you flashed them with all the surroundings (checksums, partition table, ...) no wonder it was not booting.

Ad Q2: I just did a bit of measurements. Unfortunately only AC device which I have available right now is Nexus 5, but iperf still did 185 Mbits/sec, which is comparable to what I can achieve with Turris Omnia router and Nexus 5.

What IP address do I use to access the WebUI? I am getting an IP from the NIC port but can't seem to hit any webpage.

lmarazzi86 wrote:

What IP address do I use to access the WebUI? I am getting an IP from the NIC port but can't seem to hit any webpage.

If you are using binaries provided by me, than I did not include any webpages inside. I just use SSH to configure everything.

radekdostal wrote:
lmarazzi86 wrote:

If you are using binaries provided by me, than I did not include any webpages inside. I just use SSH to configure everything.

Ok. How can I configure it to connect to my router? I was able to SSH to it.

lmarazzi86 wrote:

I configured mine by following this tutorial:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap

inside is standard OpenWRT / LEDE, so you can use any general tutorial which fits your needs.

(Last edited by radekdostal on 12 Dec 2016, 19:20)

radekdostal wrote:
lmarazzi86 wrote:

inside is standard OpenWRT / LEDE, so you can use any general tutorial which fits your needs.

Can you paste what your network and wireless files look like? I was able to enable the wifi connections and setup the AP. What I am having issues with is having the RE450 connect to my existing wireless network.

lmarazzi86 wrote:

Can you paste what your network and wireless files look like? I was able to enable the wifi connections and setup the AP. What I am having issues with is having the RE450 connect to my existing wireless network.

Sorry, I do not have access to my router right now, but it would probably not help you as I am using it in the AP mode and not in the repeater mode. I use Ethernet to connect to my home AP, which does not require much configuration.

radekdostal wrote:
brandst wrote:
radekdostal wrote:

If anybody wants to also test the lastest version

Today I bought the RE450 (EU) and have found this forum post. I'm testing the newest build from you and actually it's working pretty well. Do you plan regular releases?

I hope I will not have to make regular releases. If my code makes it upstream, it will be than released by LEDE directly.

Don't like to stress you, but is there any timeline to upstream it to the lede source? It would be nice to have regular trunk builds from the lede source :-)

brandst wrote:

Don't like to stress you, but is there any timeline to upstream it to the lede source? It would be nice to have regular trunk builds from the lede source :-)

Sorry, but you are stressing a wrong person. I have a pull request open for a month - see https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/519 now things will hopefully start moving again.

Thanks for the link - I didn't know that you already created a pull request.

radekdostal wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I believe I may have figured out an issue with flashing to newer firmware versions such as (1.0.0 Build 20160727 Rel. 63203.) This seem to made the trick:

Everything is now pushed to github. I will give it a bit more testing before sending it upstream. If anybody is interested in giving me some "tested-by" statements that would be more than appreciated.

I also pushed out the binaries, for those who just want to give it a try: ... - NO WARRANTY!

Tested on EU running a very recent 2016 firmware. It's booted and appears functional big_smile

I did also download your sources to attempt to build my own variant, however, I have compilation bail out with openssl (looks to be in the toolchain) complaining the file name is too long (openssl is being compiled with a tonne of flags).

I can however build OpenWRT on the trunk pull from this post, so at least that's a starting point.

Great work, I believe that the patch for the flashing over newer firmwares is sturdy.

I noticed your image was 4MB? My build of OpenWRT is currently 6.5MB big.

EDIT: I've successfully built LEDE build with Luci.

imgur.com/a/dEqhE

(Last edited by grodders on 25 Dec 2016, 01:38)

grodders wrote:

Tested on EU running a very recent 2016 firmware. It's booted and appears functional big_smile

I did also download your sources to attempt to build my own variant, however, I have compilation bail out with openssl (looks to be in the toolchain) complaining the file name is too long (openssl is being compiled with a tonne of flags).

I can however build OpenWRT on the trunk pull from this post, so at least that's a starting point.

Great work, I believe that the patch for the flashing over newer firmwares is sturdy.

I noticed your image was 4MB? My build of OpenWRT is currently 6.5MB big.

EDIT: I've successfully built LEDE build with Luci.

imgur.com/a/dEqhE

1) I am happy to hear that it seems to be working to you.
2) The openssl issue is probably something specific to your machine. Could it be due to encrypted file system, some of them do not like long file names.
3) The difference in the image may be in what is included, my build is super basic without Luci or anything special.

===

but most importantly, the patches for RE450 support are now included in the LEDE upstream, so you can get nightly builds from here:

https://lede-project.org/downloads

or directly from here:

http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/lede/ … x/generic/

radekdostal wrote:

2) The openssl issue is probably something specific to your machine. Could it be due to encrypted file system, some of them do not like long file names.

Hammered the nail right on the head. For some reason, the user had an encrypted home folder. Might also explain why it took forever to compile big_smile  Now it works no problem, thanks.

radekdostal wrote:

but most importantly, the patches for RE450 support are now included in the LEDE upstream, so you can get nightly builds from here:
link
or directly from here:
links

Excellent. Just updated and see the RE450. Have built an image of my usual concoctions and have swapped it out for my older AP. Nobody has noticed any glitches and I am able to hit 700mbps off the WiFi (ac/an/n 5/2.4GHz combined). Ran out of wireless clients to test any further, but it's rocking solid.

Have ordered a few more of these now I am confident they can be web flashed. Since I've ordered 5 more, I will be able to test the stock firmware & all EU/UK fimwares on TP-Link site against your new patch. But I'm confident it will work. I know for one it will work against the firmware I was running in my first post.

You rock and many, MANY thanks!!

(Last edited by grodders on 26 Dec 2016, 19:37)

irishbiker wrote:

Hi

Can someone confirm if and when the TP-Link RE450 will be / is supported?

Thanks

I.

I think it would be fair to say it is now supported in LEDE smile

Hi Guys,

I've just bought the RE450 to replace my WA860RE, which was happily running OpenWRT for the past year.

By reading your posts I've found the following two images:

lede-ar71xx-generic-re450-squashfs-factory.bin    3506.2 KB    Wed Dec 28 02:22:36 2016
lede-ar71xx-generic-re450-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin    3520.0 KB    Wed Dec 28 02:22:36 2016

Could you please advise if these include LuCI? Or would it be only SSH CLI?

Thanks!
Luís

There's only SSH.
If you manage to put it online, to activate HTTP web UI you can:

opkg install luci
/etc/init.d/uhttpd enable
uci commit uhttpd
/etc/init.d/uhttpd start

But be warned, you cannot access the web UI from WAN, just from LAN because the firewall is preventing it.

(Last edited by uqbar on 28 Dec 2016, 10:11)

Thanks for confirming uqbar.

Would anyone be so kind to share their build with LuCI integrated? I've been fighting with building an image all day (never done it before) and keep getting errors at different points...

If it helps, my RE450 is EU v1, stock firmware is 2015/12/03 Rel. 51835.

cheers guys!

mryouwho wrote:

Thanks for confirming uqbar.

Would anyone be so kind to share their build with LuCI integrated? I've been fighting with building an image all day (never done it before) and keep getting errors at different points...

If it helps, my RE450 is EU v1, stock firmware is 2015/12/03 Rel. 51835.

cheers guys!

Sorry, re-edited as that config was a test build and not usable...

I have done two builds, one for basic AP usage with Luci and another with Enhanced functions with Luci-SSL.. If your build environment is sane, you should be fine with these.

Basic: pastebin.com/78XrvMZG
Enhanced: pastebin.com/uBACkB10

Basic is literally that. Supports VLANs, AP's and can do routing, dnsmasq etc. Not many features except the basic set.

Enhanced is a little more packaged with QoS, SSL on Luci and few other networking features like igmp proxy and addrwatch, nano editor (I'm lazy) and full WPAD, dnsmasq6, WOL etc.

(Last edited by grodders on 3 Jan 2017, 19:49)

Two questions:
Is ethernet wan or lan by default in lede buildbot images?

Could some owner post output of "iw phy" command? Preferable EU-region owner, but anything is better than nothing. I want to see txpower and channel support.
Thanks.

Edit:
Question 3: Anyone tried repeater mode in openwrt/lede? Does it work okey? What kind of speeds you get when devices are next to each other?

(Last edited by cannesahs on 6 Jan 2017, 20:30)

cannesahs wrote:

Two questions:
Is ethernet wan or lan by default in lede buildbot images?

Could some owner post output of "iw phy" command? Preferable EU-region owner, but anything is better than nothing. I want to see txpower and channel support.
Thanks.

Edit:
Question 3: Anyone tried repeater mode in openwrt/lede? Does it work okey? What kind of speeds you get when devices are next to each other?

Ad Q1: sorry I am not sure -  I operate device in AP mode, where I have only LAN
Ad Q2: see bellow - EU unit

Wiphy phy1
    max # scan SSIDs: 4
    max scan IEs length: 2257 bytes
    max # sched scan SSIDs: 0
    max # match sets: 0
    max # scan plans: 1
    max scan plan interval: -1
    max scan plan iterations: 0
    Retry short limit: 7
    Retry long limit: 4
    Coverage class: 0 (up to 0m)
    Device supports AP-side u-APSD.
    Device supports T-DLS.
    Available Antennas: TX 0x7 RX 0x7
    Configured Antennas: TX 0x7 RX 0x7
    Supported interface modes:
         * IBSS
         * managed
         * AP
         * AP/VLAN
         * WDS
         * monitor
         * mesh point
         * P2P-client
         * P2P-GO
         * outside context of a BSS
    Band 1:
        Capabilities: 0x11ef
            RX LDPC
            HT20/HT40
            SM Power Save disabled
            RX HT20 SGI
            RX HT40 SGI
            TX STBC
            RX STBC 1-stream
            Max AMSDU length: 3839 bytes
            DSSS/CCK HT40
        Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)
        Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 8 usec (0x06)
        HT TX/RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-23
        Frequencies:
            * 2412 MHz [1] (23.0 dBm)
            * 2417 MHz [2] (24.0 dBm)
            * 2422 MHz [3] (24.0 dBm)
            * 2427 MHz [4] (24.0 dBm)
            * 2432 MHz [5] (24.0 dBm)
            * 2437 MHz [6] (24.0 dBm)
            * 2442 MHz [7] (24.0 dBm)
            * 2447 MHz [8] (24.0 dBm)
            * 2452 MHz [9] (24.0 dBm)
            * 2457 MHz [10] (24.0 dBm)
            * 2462 MHz [11] (23.0 dBm)
            * 2467 MHz [12] (disabled)
            * 2472 MHz [13] (disabled)
            * 2484 MHz [14] (disabled)
    valid interface combinations:
         * #{ managed } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point } <= 8, #{ P2P-client, P2P-GO } <= 1, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
           total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz, 40 MHz }

* #{ WDS } <= 2048,
           total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
    HT Capability overrides:
         * MCS: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
         * maximum A-MSDU length
         * supported channel width
         * short GI for 40 MHz
         * max A-MPDU length exponent
         * min MPDU start spacing
Wiphy phy0
    max # scan SSIDs: 16
    max scan IEs length: 199 bytes
    max # sched scan SSIDs: 0
    max # match sets: 0
    max # scan plans: 1
    max scan plan interval: -1
    max scan plan iterations: 0
    Retry short limit: 7
    Retry long limit: 4
    Coverage class: 0 (up to 0m)
    Device supports AP-side u-APSD.
    Available Antennas: TX 0x7 RX 0x7
    Configured Antennas: TX 0x7 RX 0x7
    Supported interface modes:
         * managed
         * AP
         * AP/VLAN
         * monitor
         * mesh point
    Band 2:
        Capabilities: 0x19ef
            RX LDPC
            HT20/HT40
            SM Power Save disabled
            RX HT20 SGI
            RX HT40 SGI
            TX STBC
            RX STBC 1-stream
            Max AMSDU length: 7935 bytes
            DSSS/CCK HT40
        Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)
        Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 8 usec (0x06)
        HT TX/RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-23
        VHT Capabilities (0x338001b2):
            Max MPDU length: 11454
            Supported Channel Width: neither 160 nor 80+80
            RX LDPC
            short GI (80 MHz)
            TX STBC
            RX antenna pattern consistency
            TX antenna pattern consistency
        VHT RX MCS set:
            1 streams: MCS 0-9
            2 streams: MCS 0-9
            3 streams: MCS 0-9
            4 streams: not supported
            5 streams: not supported
            6 streams: not supported
            7 streams: not supported
            8 streams: not supported
        VHT RX highest supported: 0 Mbps
        VHT TX MCS set:
            1 streams: MCS 0-9
            2 streams: MCS 0-9
            3 streams: MCS 0-9
            4 streams: not supported
            5 streams: not supported
            6 streams: not supported
            7 streams: not supported
            8 streams: not supported
        VHT TX highest supported: 0 Mbps
        Frequencies:
            * 5180 MHz [36] (23.0 dBm)
            * 5200 MHz [40] (23.0 dBm)
            * 5220 MHz [44] (23.0 dBm)
            * 5240 MHz [48] (23.0 dBm)
            * 5260 MHz [52] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5280 MHz [56] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5300 MHz [60] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5320 MHz [64] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5500 MHz [100] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5520 MHz [104] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5540 MHz [108] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5560 MHz [112] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5580 MHz [116] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5600 MHz [120] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5620 MHz [124] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5640 MHz [128] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5660 MHz [132] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5680 MHz [136] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5700 MHz [140] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5720 MHz [144] (23.0 dBm) (radar detection)
            * 5745 MHz [149] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5765 MHz [153] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5785 MHz [157] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5805 MHz [161] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5825 MHz [165] (30.0 dBm)
    valid interface combinations:
         * #{ AP, mesh point } <= 8, #{ managed } <= 1,
           total <= 8, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz, 40 MHz, 80 MHz }

HT Capability overrides:
         * MCS: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
         * maximum A-MSDU length
         * supported channel width
         * short GI for 40 MHz
         * max A-MPDU length exponent
         * min MPDU start spacing
    Device supports VHT-IBSS.

Ad Q3: sorry not me

radekdostal wrote:

Ad Q1: sorry I am not sure -  I operate device in AP mode, where I have only LAN
Ad Q2: see bellow - EU unit
Ad Q3: sorry not me

Thanks, Q2 listing helped a lot! About Q1, guess it is then LAN, which would make most sense.

(Last edited by cannesahs on 17 Jan 2017, 01:23)

Guys, a little off topic. I have one RE450 and I stuck in firmware '1.0.0 Build 20160530 Rel. 51361' I can't upgrade to any offical firmware or unofficial, I get checksum error. Your guys have any idea to help me? Thanks!

(Last edited by tdlsb on 27 Jan 2017, 12:09)

tdlsb wrote:

Guys, a little off topic. I have one RE450 and I stuck in firmware '1.0.0 Build 20160530 Rel. 51361' I can't upgrade to any offical firmware or unofficial, I get checksum error. Your guys have any idea to help me? Thanks!

connecting serial line, than stopping boot at u-boot and booting initramfs and re-flashing from there could help, but this is nowhere trivial task and some experience is needed.

radekdostal wrote:
tdlsb wrote:

connecting serial line, than stopping boot at u-boot and booting initramfs and re-flashing from there could help, but this is nowhere trivial task and some experience is needed.

I do not know how to do this, but thanks for the help! I'll let in this firmware otherwise I can crash my AP. I thought that it could exist an easy way.