OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Unless you're already in the market for a new wifi router, and are looking in that price range, there isn't any reason to order the 3200acm. You certainly won't see any additional wifi speed compared to any of the 1900ac models already available.

Maybe down the road we might see some devices able to leverage tri-band, but none are available right now.

Better ask on DD-WRT's website. We don't keep tabs here on what they support.

(Last edited by Borromini on 21 Oct 2016, 20:19)

The same applies for OpenWRT, I want to try out that software too, but I only see the download link for 15.05.1 Chaos Calmer for version 1 only, not version 2. I suppose since it's very little difference (at least according to Linksys) between V1 and V2 that I could possibly still install Chaos Calmer on my router (V2) but still, I'm trying to make sure, I don't want a bricked device.

*The "differences" being firmware versions, I think this doesn't matter since I'll be flashing something else anyways.

V2

Brainslayer's latest builds include V2 for the 1200 i believe, i don't have the link handy, but if you search through dd's mvebu forum you should run across it eventually.

"Villeneuve" and "mikemccartney" I thank you kindly. I also looked more thoroughly in the wrt1x00ac_series wiki and saw a build from "kaloz" which supports the V2. I'll look for Brainslayer's build you mentioned, mikemccartney big_smile

davidc502 wrote:

Unless you're already in the market for a new wifi router, and are looking in that price range, there isn't any reason to order the 3200acm. You certainly won't see any additional wifi speed compared to any of the 1900ac models already available.

Maybe down the road we might see some devices able to leverage tri-band, but none are available right now.

Just a shiny new toy to play with........... smile

mojolacerator wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Absolutely... If I were in the market, I would buy one.  Potentially it will be an amazing machine.

I had a v1 and went to the ACS. The next move may be to the acm.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 21 Oct 2016, 22:38)

About the 3200acm.
I am going to wait until Marvel gives people something to work with. Unlike the 1900v1. That seemed to take forever and I still don't feel that it is there yet.
Just an opinion. :-)

mojolacerator wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Unless you're buying it mainly for the asthetics, you'd be better off building your own router box if looking for a shiny new toy =]  Faster, better, skies the limit on customizations, etc. 

For anyone in the market for the 3200ACM, if you need the extra 200 - 600mHz clock speed it offers, simply build your own custom router box (same price range) and avoid the 1 - 2yr device cycle.  The single largest feature it offers is MU-MIMO, however, even with MU-MIMO being RTM 2 or 3 years ago, there's hardly any clients capable of utilizing it.  It's like buying a Bugatti and only driving it on gravel roads.  MU-MIMO at this point is beginning to resemble MirrorLink.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 22 Oct 2016, 03:59)

@sera (& anyone else)  Since your input has been critical getting the wiki to where it is today, when you have some time, could you check out the revamp I just finalized on an OpenVPN Server HowTo I wrote some time ago?

When I wrote it, I wasn't that familiar with DokuWiki, and since I'm quite proficient at it now, I figured it was time for a major update.

JW0914 wrote:

Unless you're buying it mainly for the asthetics, you'd be better off building your own router box if looking for a shiny new toy =]  Faster, better, skies the limit on customizations, etc. 

For anyone in the market for the 3200ACM, if you need the extra 200 - 600mHz clock speed it offers, simply build your own custom router box (same price range) and avoid the 1 - 2yr device cycle.  The single largest feature it offers is MU-MIMO, however, even with MU-MIMO being RTM 2 or 3 years ago, there's hardly any clients capable of utilizing it.  It's like buying a Bugatti and only driving it on gravel roads.  MU-MIMO at this point is beginning to resemble MirrorLink.

I've actually considered that but trying to match hardware, chipsets, ... with what is supported in openwrt is a rather daunting task.  At least for me wink

JW0914 wrote:
kirkgbr wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

I've actually considered that but trying to match hardware, chipsets, ... with what is supported in openwrt is a rather daunting task.  At least for me wink

If building a custom router box, OpenWrt shouldn't be used as it would defeat the purpose of a custom router box. I personally recommend mini-ITX server boards with an Intel SOC [J1900, C2550/C2750, C2558/C2758] and no more than a TDP of 20W, utilizing ESXi as a base OS, then a router OS within a VM [Sophos UTM is easily the best router OS out there for home users].

• Server boards are preferred due to IPMI (box should be headless) and ESXi is meant to be managed via IP

• ESXi allows one to fully utilize the quad or octa core CPU and the 16GB - 64GB RAM

• Sophos UTM (as a Software Appliance) is free to home users

ESXi and vm's are bit much for a home router wink

northbound wrote:

About the 3200acm.
I am going to wait until Marvel gives people something to work with. Unlike the 1900v1. That seemed to take forever and I still don't feel that it is there yet.

@northbound -- what exactly are you looking for?  As far as I'm concerned the WRT1900AC/ACS family arrived as of about 1 month ago.  The last thing I was waiting on was 5G wireless stability and my long-term stability test is ongoing at 39 days with file transfers still > 40 MB/sec peaks, no dropouts, etc.

Any issues you see remaining are specific to a build, in my opinion (mac80211/hostapd version/patches, kernel patches, etc).  It seems very easy to break the 5G wireless but it has been proven fast and stable recently.

Right now this family is in a pretty sweet spot for price/performance.

@JW0914 keep it writing:-) it seems that this configuration suits more for small office than average family:-) But i like your HW/SW combo..

@JW0914

Do you have a wiki etc. on your custom router ideas/build? 

Sounds very interesting .....

Cheers

northbound wrote:

About the 3200acm.

Don't blame ya

When I tyred the latest wifi which is modified to support VHT160 my Client Bridge had problems.

doITright wrote:

@JW0914

Do you have a wiki etc. on your custom router ideas/build? 

Sounds very interesting .....

Cheers

@JW0914

I would be interested as well. I have looked at doing this, but just don't have the time to pull all the info together.

@InkblotAdmirer
I guess I should have phrased the comment differently.
Speed and more so stability are fine no complaints there and I have not had any in quite some time.
What bothers me is when under a high wlan load the average physical rate drops from a solid 866.5Mbps
to 400Mbps or less in one direction only. Tested on different laptops with different nic's with the same results.
I only use 5Ghz here unless someone needs a 2.4Ghz connection then I will fire that up.
I still think there is more to be done with the mwlwifi driver and I agree about the other influences.
There are no 5Ghz AP's in range here, yet there are times I will see signal quality fluctuate as does the physical rate under no load with no change in position. The closest house is at least 50 meters away.
It may be external influences but since I am not buying a real spectrum analyzer I won't know for sure.
The main reason for the comment are the issues some others are having with the radar detection that still needs addressed.

@JW0914 great comprehensive description of your setup. I have few questions:
1. UTM can not be VPN or NAS server.Then you have this :"A major benefit is VPN speed, with a massive performance...."
2. can you elaborate more about " 5 different VPN types (including HTML5)" UTM feature
3, UTM is the first thing after your ISP as WAN connection/NAT/FW and other UTM specific features)? Then goes ACS? for what, what do you still miss on UTM beside VPN and NAS? if you need wifi you can put some PCI wifi card into server board and use openwrt for x86(if you want openwrt for your routing)
4. please answer is it possible the following setup: two VM machines on mini-ITX board, one is S UTM connected directly on WAN port,S UTM do his own job(web filtering, etc..)  then fort forwarding from UTM firewall to the next VM with Openwrt(x86) where you put VPN and NAS server:-) It is AllinOne solution.
5. is there mini-itx board with SFP slot ? to eliminate ONT?

Regards,
Goran.

I've moved all Sophos posts to it's own thread

@gsustek my reply

(Last edited by JW0914 on 23 Oct 2016, 16:05)

JW0914 wrote:

I've moved all Sophos posts to it's own thread

+1

Can you flash LEDE/openwrt from Chaos Calmer 15.05 GUI?

gufus wrote:

Yes, just use the LEDE sysupgrade image.
It's recommended to NOT preserve settings, unless you like living dangerously. smile

adri wrote:
gufus wrote:

Yes, just use the LEDE sysupgrade image.
It's recommended to NOT preserve settings, unless you like living dangerously. smile

Thanks.

I may give LEDE a test drive one day, I wrote A LOT shellscript scripts that would have to be modified. My setup is highly modified.

I see it's using:  ARM LEDE Linux-4.4.27

Nice smile

(Last edited by gufus on 23 Oct 2016, 21:17)

Sorry, posts 13601 to 13600 are missing from our archive.