OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear DGN3500

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

chainofflowers wrote:

I was surprised and alarmed of learning about the spin-off. I am afraid of the consequences that that could have on the project, in general.

However, I have also installed LEDE on my DGN3500B. It has a newer kernel (4.4.15) with a patched USB driver, so that SteveF's problem (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 53#p299453) should have been solved.

Sadly it isn't - at least with the DWC2 driver, I haven't tried the other one yet. I installed the current nightly build and a single "time dd if=/dev/sda1 | md5sum" froze partway through (I could see from the light on the USB device there was no activity). It did eventually finish, but dmesg showed the familiar symptoms:

[  565.960464] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     128MB    USB2.0FlashDrive 2.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[  567.031157] ready
[  567.032329] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 256000 512-byte logical blocks: (131 MB/125 MiB)
[  567.040276] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[  567.043737] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[  567.045005] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[  567.048987] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[  567.062446]  sda: sda1
[  567.069354] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
[  633.556356] dwc2 1e101000.ifxhcd: dwc2_hc_chhltd_intr_dma: Channel 1 - ChHltd set, but reason is unknown
[  633.564360] dwc2 1e101000.ifxhcd: hcint 0x00000002, intsts 0x04000029
[  633.570884] dwc2 1e101000.ifxhcd: dwc2_update_urb_state(): trimming xfer length
[  664.286885] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using dwc2
[  668.230440] dwc2 1e101000.ifxhcd: dwc2_hc_chhltd_intr_dma: Channel 1 - ChHltd set, but reason is unknown
[  668.238442] dwc2 1e101000.ifxhcd: hcint 0x00000002, intsts 0x04000029
[  668.244956] dwc2 1e101000.ifxhcd: dwc2_update_urb_state(): trimming xfer length
[  699.358886] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using dwc2
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# 

Maybe my router is just faulty.

SteveF
input command ifconfig in ssh or telnet
if there is dropped packets or errors on any interface - your router has problems (most probably hardware)
also it would be good to check PSU with osciloscope

the faulty one looks like this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9J5Wv … y=CMrwm_8F

Going through this thread, it's not clear to me...  I'm about to purchase a Netgear DGN3500 second hand. I need to be able to connect to the internet using ADSL 2+ on a PPPoE connection. Does the latest OpenWRT firmware fully support it or not ? Or will it take me 1 week of fiddling around to get it properly working ? It only says on the wiki page: "adsl it's fully working with pppoa connection"....

My other worry is, and I love feedback from anyone who's been using it, there's a lot of talk about connections lost with the DGN3500. Bad reviews all over the place regarding this router. Does the OpenWRT firmware fix this issue in any way ?

Much thanks in advance for your replies. Pat

(Last edited by ravenlost2 on 22 Oct 2016, 14:23)

works

@ravenlost2

As long as you replace the ADSL modem firmware blob as outlined earlier in this thread, connection integrity is fine.

richs wrote:

@ravenlost2

As long as you replace the ADSL modem firmware blob as outlined earlier in this thread, connection integrity is fine.

Thanks for your reply richs ! You're referring to your post #144 I assume ? I just don't understand what's the Annexe A firmware ? Referring to a revision number of the router ?  I haven't bought he router yet (buying online 2e hand..), thus don't know the details of it.. If that annexe thing has anything to do with it (?)

Thanks again..

ravenlost2 wrote:

Thanks for your reply richs ! You're referring to your post #144 I assume ? I just don't understand what's the Annexe A firmware ? Referring to a revision number of the router ?  I haven't bought he router yet (buying online 2e hand..), thus don't know the details of it.. If that annexe thing has anything to do with it (?)

Thanks again..

Yes, I was referring to that post.

The Annex version is very important. Which router you need is determined by how you connect physically to your ISP.

If you are connecting via a POTS (plain old telephone system) or analog line, you will be using Annex A and need to buy the DGN3500. If you're connecting via an ISDN line, you are Annex B and need to buy the DGN3500B.

I have no experience with Annex B, so do not know if there are alternate Annex B modem firmwares available, or if indeed they even need replacing. The version that ships with OpenWRT may be OK, but there seem to be others on here who are using DGN3500B's OK.

Regards,

Richard

(Last edited by richs on 23 Oct 2016, 20:31)

@Snakus: I'm seeing the following in ifconfig

nas0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  
          inet6 addr: xxxx::xxx:xxx:xxxx:0/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1871176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1822109 errors:998 dropped:0 overruns:998 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:408577563 (389.6 MiB)  TX bytes:217384756 (207.3 MiB)

I have a 20Mbps line, and it sync at 20, but I only get about 8Mpbs according to 'dsl-control status' actual speed

Does this match what you saw with your dodgy PSU? Did replacing it help?

(Last edited by sirlark on 6 Nov 2016, 12:13)

sirlark
yes, looks same.
with bad PSU I had much more errors.
After repair errors became less, but not fully disapeared.
I think something wrong with CPU or power supply of CPU. It became very hot fast.
Very small filtering capacitor in PSU made it black job.

(Last edited by Snakus on 8 Nov 2016, 12:51)

Hello. I juste got a DGN3500 annex A router, flashed it with OpenWrt and also updated the DSL FW as per post #144. So far so good , even though j haven't tried my dsl connection yet... Assuming it will be fine !

I do have weird things going on with my LEDS however ! I.e wifi staying orange, not turning green, power led not lighting up (although) I checked the "default state" in Luci interface and it seems to have turned it on.

I don't quite understand all the settings for the LEDs, triggers and such. If anyone else having the same router could share their led configurations ? That would be great !!! Much thanks in advance smile)

Hello to everybody.
I was able to install OpenWrt in my DGN3500 but I was unable to connect to my ADSL provider.
I did read in the forum but still I don't get ADSL working.
Can somebody give me some advice?
Before install OpenWrt this was my configuration:
  Network Type: PPPoA
  VPI: 0
  VCI: 33

Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards.

You need to give us more information, (what PPPoA encapsulation does your provider require)

Assuming you have correctly filled out the details under  Network -> Interfaces-> ATM Bridge and Network -> Interfaces-> WAN (click "Edit" button) and it still isn't working, ssh into the router and show us /etc/config/network. Anonymize the username and password first.

Regards,

Richard

richs wrote:

You need to give us more information, (what PPPoA encapsulation does your provider require)

Assuming you have correctly filled out the details under  Network -> Interfaces-> ATM Bridge and Network -> Interfaces-> WAN (click "Edit" button) and it still isn't working, ssh into the router and show us /etc/config/network. Anonymize the username and password first.

Regards,

Richard

Richard,
Thanks a lot for try help me with this issue.
Encapsulation mode is VC.
Currently I did put back the original firmware I will put OpenWrt again and let you know the result.

Regards.

(Last edited by hlopezrd on 14 Nov 2016, 22:29)

Hello. I have a few problems with openwrt and my dgn3500 router (one being the led configurations, but I think I've almost figured it out..  I'd like to attack more serious problems...

The first big problem for me is that whenever I turn off the router, DSL won't automatically reconnect ! I have to each time go into Luci / Network / Interfaces and hit the "Connect" link on the WAN interface, even though it's already setup to "Bring up on boot"! This is really annoying ... For the time being, the only "bandage" I found was to place "ifup -a" in rc.local but don't feel this is a real proper solution.. Is anyone else having this issue ? Is there a real explanation for this ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Patrick

(Last edited by ravenlost2 on 20 Nov 2016, 13:19)

Desperately in need of help regarding recovering Firmware / going into Failsafe...

If ANYONE can help me out regarding this post: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=69877

I will be forever grateful !!!

(Last edited by ravenlost2 on 16 Feb 2017, 19:14)

Hi everyone

I tried OpenWrt, I got WAN (nas0) up:

Line State: showtime_tc_sync [0x801]
Line Speed: 12.477 Mb/s / 1.022 Mb/s
Line Attenuation: 25.4 dB / 9.2 dB
Noise Margin: 7 dB / 9.2 dB

My stumbling block is I cannot ping IPs or ping from LuCI diagnostics.  The System log shows my problem (I believe) as "Timeout waiting for PADO packets" after it tries to negotiate PPPoE.

I google that, but I get minimal and sketchy advice to users who have had the same problem.

I was on openwrt-15.05-lantiq-xway-DGN3500-squashfs-factory-WW.img

From a router reset, I do the following:

• Change root password,
    Set gateway address as 192.168.1.1,
    Set DNS server as 192.168.1.1,
    Set ADSL username in WAN interface
    Set ADSL password in WAN interface
    Set LLC in interfaces section,
    Set VPI as 8 in interfaces section,
    Set VCI as 35 in interfaces section.

Am I correct to derive that DNS does not matter if PPPoE negotiation fails?

What can I do further to try and resolve the PPPoE negotiation issue?

To communicate with you guys, I had to follow the brutal debrick procedure.  The finger reset button did not work on my DGN3500, but the reset button below the hole that you have to prod with a paperclip did work fine.  I didn't even have to reload settings, it seems OpenWrt did not overwrite the original firmware settings.

However.  The Netgear recovery tool reports a failure after it performs the flash, saying it could not complete.  So while the router works perfectly well on the original firmware after the OpenWrt flash and revert back to original firmware via the brutal procedure, I think all is not well in the land of the flash layout anymore.  I tried reflashing the firmware from the original firmware upgrade page, but it reports more or less the same.  But still, at the moment the DGN3500 works, I'm on the net posting to everyone through it, so whatever is broken might not be in use.

Any help would be super greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

However.  The Netgear recovery tool reports a failure after it performs the flash, saying it could not complete.

What's the recovery tool? The one mentioned in the brutal debrick procedure? If so, that's not one specifically designed for your model, but it does a good job at setting it to a state from which you can flash the firmware with a full image.
If I have understood correctly, you have followed the procedure and successfully flashed a stock fw image, right?
Then, everything is as it should be, don't worry at all.

About the PPPoE issue: which model do you have exactly? DGN3500 or DGN3500B?
And what's your ISP?

Hi chainofflowers

Correct - the recovery tool mentioned in the debrick procedure.  OK, I won't worry about it.  The procedure worked successfully for me on the LAN port closest to the power button, which for me is LAN 1 as far as marking on my router goes.  Also, the reset button under the hole worked for me, the button you can press with your finger did not make my router enter a debrickable mode.  And the stock fw image I went back to is DGN3500-V1.1.00.33_1.00.33.img - if I remember correctly it's the WW version, as I believe the North America version is newer, but I'm on the other side of the world.

My exact model is the DGN3500.

My ISP is webafrica.

The reason I'm going the openwrt way is my wireless seems to be dropping out about twice a day, which it has not done before a month ago.  The router needs a reboot when this happens, and that makes for much unpleasantness and waste of human life waiting.  I'm hoping the post 144 wireless firmware change will make things better.

Update on my posts - I'm online with Chaos Calmer 15.05!  Must have been the way I went about it this time - completely set up the router with ADSL not plugged in.  Power off.  Plug in ADSL.  Power on.  Now starts monitoring the system for stability.  I'll report back in a week or so.

Thanks for the help chainofflowers.

I think my disconnect issue was more the wireless going down than the ADSL side, so I don't know whether the post 144 fix will help.  At the moment I'm hoping just moving to openwrt will help.  Does everyone running Chaos Calmer 15.05 apply this fix?

Does everyone running Chaos Calmer 15.05 apply this fix?

I am using DGN3500B, which means I am on another kind of ADSL connection (Annex B=via ISDN), so maybe I could have never seen that problem because it does not apply to me.
However, CC is quite aged; a lot of people moved to the LEDE project (https://lede-project.org/), which delivers more up-to-date software (in particular, the linux kernel): hopefully this fixes a lot of old issues.

So, now that you've successfully managed to install & run OpenWRT on your box, you might not want to install yet another firmware right now ;-) However, if you experience any issue, be aware that a lot of people have moved there and OpenWRT is (sadly) getting less attention, therefore it might become harder to get prompt support on OpenWRT at the moment.

Cheers,

(Last edited by chainofflowers on 2 Apr 2017, 17:47)

Thanks again chainofflowers.  I'll check it out.

ravenlost2 wrote:

Going through this thread, it's not clear to me...  I'm about to purchase a Netgear DGN3500 second hand. I need to be able to connect to the internet using ADSL 2+ on a PPPoE connection. Does the latest OpenWRT firmware fully support it or not ? Or will it take me 1 week of fiddling around to get it properly working ? It only says on the wiki page: "adsl it's fully working with pppoa connection"....

My other worry is, and I love feedback from anyone who's been using it, there's a lot of talk about connections lost with the DGN3500. Bad reviews all over the place regarding this router. Does the OpenWRT firmware fix this issue in any way ?

Much thanks in advance for your replies. Pat

Old thread but worked out of the box first try for me with CenturyLink adsl 2+ Annex A (no blobs replacement necessary, can get parameters need to set off CenturyLink web site).  Of course I only used Openwrt for the factory image and then immediately flashed LEDE over the top (clear settings).  Its a bit sluggish though through the GUI or ssh because sadly it looks like Openwrt/LEDE doesn't support SMP for this modem/router and it comes with two cores.  It doesn't seem to affect internet performance for me though but then again with only 20mbps down and 1 up so slow probably wouldn't (what can I say I am a cheap b*stard).  Also turned off wireless and only use as a modem and firewall basically with my separate WNDR3800 handling routing and wireless (cerowrt long in tooth security wise but still lowest latency firmware IMHO).

Edit:  I did have one mysterious drop tonight that hosed the game I was playing and I have noticed I had several hundred thousand Header Error Code Errors so I went ahead and did the post 144 blob as well.  Just brought it up successfully no issues and so far no HECs.  Guess the NSA really made sure this blob worked well, just kidding (I hope).

(Last edited by dumas777 on 5 Apr 2017, 06:55)

Anyone recently built their own firmware for DGN3500? (not B)
Current buildroot doesn't make WW/NA images, tried reverting that part of the tree to CC branch which did.
However....
After applying the upgrade the kernel won't start; It gets this far:

Image Name:   MIPS OpenWrt Linux-3.18.44
   Created:      2017-02-05  12:06:41 UTC
   Image Type:   MIPS Linux Kernel Image (lzma compressed)
   Data Size:    1621290 Bytes =  1.5 MB
   Load Address: 80002000
   Entry Point:  80002000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

**** do_bootm_linux
   commandline=root=/dev/mtdblock0 ip=192.168.1.1:192.168.1.15::::eth0:on console=ttyS1,115200 ethaddr=00:26:f2:3d:a7:cd phym=64M mem=64M panic=1
   argc=2
   argv[0]=bootm
   argv[1]=0x50000

Starting kernel ...

but then restarts:

ROM VER: 1.1.3
CFG 05

U-Boot 1.1.5-2.4 (Oct  8 2009 - 16:34:30)

I want to give LEDE a shot...

just to be sure: I could simply "sysupgrade" from OpenWrt Chaos Calmer, I actually have, to LEDE?