OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Disabling Failsafe

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm trying to disable the failsafe mode on a GL-AR150. While I don't see an option to set it in menuconfig, There is a CONFIG_TARGET_PREINIT_DISABLE_FAILSAFE setting available in the .config file. Setting it causes make to complain that the configuration is out of sync, but it still compiles. After flashing the router, however, failsafe is not disabled - booting the router with the reset button held for 5 seconds still causes it to boot into failsafe mode.

I don't mind doing a little digging in the code if someone could point me in the right direction.

Does anyone know the correct way to do this?

Thanks.

On latest LEDE in menuconfig:

[*] Image configuration  --->
  [*]   Preinit configuration options  ---> 
    [*]   Disable failsafe (NEW)

Which is equivalent to:

CONFIG_IMAGEOPT=y
CONFIG_PREINITOPT=y
CONFIG_TARGET_PREINIT_DISABLE_FAILSAFE=y

(Last edited by mkresin on 20 Oct 2016, 08:20)

Yep, you need to include the upper lever umbrella option selections, like mkresin says. They toggle the availability of the option below.

The same goes for all options under Image options, Preinit options etc.

(Last edited by hnyman on 20 Oct 2016, 08:29)

Thank you both. Unfortunately, the only option available under Image configuration (I'm assuming it's target specific) is Separate feed repositories.

I made the changes mkresin recommended to my .config file, but the router will still boot into failsafe mode.

sbinder wrote:

Thank you both. Unfortunately, the only option available under Image configuration (I'm assuming it's target specific) is Separate feed repositories.

All Image configuration options are global options.

sbinder wrote:

I made the changes mkresin recommended to my .config file, but the router will still boot into failsafe mode.

You missed to point out which revision you are on. That is why I wrote on latest LEDE. No idea if the option was added before or after the OpenWrt/LEDE split.

It's there in OpenWrt as well, no point in switching to lede.

Got it configured correctly, but the router still boots into failsafe mode. Turns out, disabling failsafe in this manner prevents the OpenWrt firmware from booting in failsafe mode, but the uboot failsafe (which is the one I intended to stop) still works. I'm looking into ways (short of breaking the reset button on the router) to prevent uboot from entering failsafe mode at boot.

The discussion might have continued from here.