OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: help to hex edit tp-link tl-wr841n v11

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Apr 2018 and 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I did install the v11 firmware and it works normal until I reboot the router. all the firewall port settings I made was gone now. do you have any idea about it???

(Last edited by balkanekrem on 26 May 2016, 07:34)

balkanekrem wrote:

I did install the v11 firmware and it works normal until I reboot the router. all the firewall port settings I made was gone now. do you have any idea about it???

Your configs probably don't get saved.

Try a

# jffs2reset

over SSH and see if your modifications stick then.

Has anyone had an issue with the once they are flashed they seem to go into read-only mode so you can't make any config updates and then they run out of memory since the files can't be over-written.

Be so kind to search before posting.

This topic has been addressed countless times in the forum.

Hi Max - I actually read all 30 posts and nothing other than running the jffs2reset command was suggested. Perhaps you;re searching a different forum for an answer or would be so kind to hyperlink the correct forum that the topic was addressed?

Hi,

I am testing the trunk version Bleeding Edge r49395 with a TL-841N version 11. I am trying to connect to a network (ap in client mode) with encryption WPA2 802.1X (CCMP) and It doesn't work. I have installed the wpad package and the supplicant has a configuration that works in a TL-841N version 9, with openwrt Attitude. The configuration of the suplicant is:

root@OpenWrt:~# uci show wireless.@wifi-iface[0]
wireless.cfg033579=wifi-iface
wireless.cfg033579.device=radio0
wireless.cfg033579.network=wan
wireless.cfg033579.mode=sta
wireless.cfg033579.ssid=Eduroam
wireless.cfg033579.encryption=wpa
wireless.cfg033579.key=none
wireless.cfg033579.eap_type=ttls
wireless.cfg033579.identity=XXXXXX
wireless.cfg033579.password=XXXXXX
wireless.cfg033579.auth_cache=1

On the other hand, the comand wpa_cli status return always "wpa_state=SCANNING" and wpa_cli in interactive mode is in loop, it prints on the screen the next messages:

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<3>CTRL-EVENT-NETWORK-NOT-FOUND
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

Does anyone has tried successfully in client mode?

King regards.

Hi,

I would really like to install mwan3 + luci-app-mwan3 or any other multiwan packages installed on this one but there is not enough space left for those hmm

Anyone has got an idea how to go about it?

I know that building a new image with the packages is an option but I do not know how to do this hmm

Any help would be appreciated smile

@modzsi - be so kind to Search before posting.

HINT: image, generator and builder are keywords

modzsi wrote:

Hi,

I would really like to install mwan3 + luci-app-mwan3 or any other multiwan packages installed on this one but there is not enough space left for those :/

Anyone has got an idea how to go about it?

I know that building a new image with the packages is an option but I do not know how to do this :/

Any help would be appreciated :)

I had the same problem for install wpad. The solution is to compile your own image and this is a good tutorial: https://wiki.openwrt.org/about/toolchain.

You should execute the command "make menuconfig" and don't select the packets that you don't need. In my case I chose not the packages related to ppp and I chose the package wpad.  Keep in mind that this method saves space because the packet is installed in the squasfs part of the rom memory, not in the root overlays (JFFS2).

(Last edited by jregueirar on 22 Jul 2016, 17:44)

Any updates on a stable release for v11 hardware?  I just purchased two of these and would love to have OpenWrt running on them.  If not, what are the stumbling blocks?  It seems that things are close so I'm hopeful.

Thanks!

Hi I have a tl-wr841n(ro) v11.1 I open it up and it does not match wath is on your website!
CPU QCA9533-BL3A
RAM: WINBOARD W9425G6KH-5
Flash chip not shor if its 100% correct below
ther is a G as logo
BH1614
25Q32CSIG
P0T454

is it ok to flash the 11 firmware will it work ???

(Last edited by Laufer2007 on 7 Sep 2016, 14:58)

How hard is it to revert to factory firmware from this test v11 OpenWRT?
I would like to try it but would not like to get stuck with OpenWRT for good without a straightforward way to revert to defaults.

Laufer2007 wrote:

is it ok to flash the 11 firmware will it work ???

Hi, I'm using wr841n v11.1 for about two weeks as wireless client (to get internet) and as AP at the same time (for tablets and phones) and also to provide internet for one pc connected to ethernet and everything seems to be ok. Today I have flashed another v11.1 (as a dumb ap), if there will be some problems, i will let know.

(Last edited by nozombian on 8 Sep 2016, 13:47)

npoljak wrote:

How hard is it to revert to factory firmware from this test v11 OpenWRT?
I would like to try it but would not like to get stuck with OpenWRT for good without a straightforward way to revert to defaults.

it is not hard, you just flash back the original firmware using sysupgrade command, only you will have to strip the boot loader first, see wiki. If you forget to strip uboot, you will brick it, but it can be recovered via tftp, which is quite easy with recent tplinks too.

nozombian wrote:

Hi, I'm using wr841n v11.1 for about two weeks as wireless client (to get internet) and as AP at the same time (for tablets and phones) and also to provide internet for one pc connected to ethernet and everything seems to be ok. Today I have flashed another v11.1 (as a dumb ap), if there will be some problems, i will let know.

I flash it to and works great i would like to add a 8mb flash chip on it but don't know witch one to buy ???
i found a cheap programmer board and 4 different flash chips from winboard but don't know wat to choose.
if any one can recommend me a chip will be greatly appreciated

So is Borromini build stable? (I mean this one)

I want to use this router as an access point (without routing) in my uncles house and I need something stable (I don't want to get calls that "something is not working" haha). I could buy an access point directly (WA801) but tplink access points don't have switches integrated.

In his house I've already have a router in place and now I will tend an ethernet cable to another place of the house (big house!) and use this WR841 as an acces point (no routing, no DHCP). But I need a switch because one PC will be connected directly to the access point over ethernet. The TV, Phone, etc will connect over Wifi to the AP. Can you confirm that what I want to do is possible? Use it as an access point and use the integrated switch at the same time.

(Last edited by Gonzakpo on 30 Sep 2016, 15:04)

i tested the build you recomended Gonzakpo and looks preaty stable at start even my wifi problem is no longer (download lower then upload)
tested as wifi client, repeter (wan is wifi and reroute the ip), Access point.
Personaly i use this router as an AP with WDS so it will automatically jump from 1 AP to a noter depending on the wifi strength
I will post update in 1 or 2 days

(Last edited by Laufer2007 on 1 Oct 2016, 19:47)

I just got TP-link TL-WR841N(EU) version 11.
I can not flash it with openwrt and also i can not downgrade from official EU version 160325.
Anyone have solution for this problem ?

Actually i think there is new EU regulations and all tp-link routers are locked for EU. You can not change country or put
openwrt. Anyone have more information ?

sanitariu wrote:

Actually i think there is new EU regulations and all tp-link routers are locked for EU. You can not change country or put
openwrt. Anyone have more information ?

Not true i have eu router from romania and manage to install openwrt with no problem
As for the change country i find some problems in the transmission power if i leav us the tx is 18dbm  and i have selected 19 if i chose ro the tx is 16 dbm and i stil chose 19dbm...
as for stable its stable but i get some errors in the kernel wen i try to install stuf
If you cant downgrade the normal way use the recovery option

(Last edited by Laufer2007 on 6 Oct 2016, 04:26)

There is two v11 hardware version. I have some v11 which accepts v11 firmware from trunk and can accept v10 with "sysupgrade -F".

But now I have "EU/11.0" revision and it doesnt accept v11 firmware. I am very angry. I have 13pcs for customers without OpenWRT... Grrr...