OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link Archer MR200

The content of this topic has been archived between 11 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

@Hamy I create patch to support LEDE on MR200:
Not working:
- wifi 5GHz
- update firmware from official gui

all leds and buttons work OK, modem is default WAN.
Check this: https://github.com/heinzek/source/tree/mr200

(Last edited by Heinz on 24 Sep 2016, 20:51)

Heinz wrote:

@Hamy I create patch to support LEDE on MR200:
Not working:
- wifi 5GHz
- update firmware from official gui

all leds and buttons work OK, modem is default WAN.
Check this: https://github.com/heinzek/source/tree/mr200

This is great new and very unexpected! i can not thank you enough for this. I will try it and report back.

one thing that i didn't mention (because i thought no one would bother adding support for this device), is that since it seems that they have used TP-Link C2 tftp bootloader recovery code and environment, writing firmware via bootloader tftp, seems to be limited to 0x7C0000  bytes(even though it should have been 0x7D0000). in other words, although this device has 0x7B0000 bytes available for kernel/squashfs/overlay, if upgrading done via bootloader tftp, the sysupgrade file(after adding the tp-link header), should at most 0x7A0000 bytes (so adding 0x20000 bytes to it(bootloader), it equals to 0x7C0000). the extra missing 0x10000 bytes, could be available in overlayfs after openwrt is installed.

Also, in my testing, i also used '-s' in mktplinkfw2. this disables the padding of the sysupgrade file. which doesn't seem to be necessary. so it became:

KERNEL_INITRAMFS := $(KERNEL_DTB) | tplink-header ArcherMR200 -s -c
  IMAGE/sysupgrade.bin := append-kernel | tplink-header ArcherMR200 -s -j -r $(KDIR)/root.squashfs

Please let me know what you think.
I like to thank you again for spending time on this. i could have never done it myself

@WINTERZ You can test this procedure to change imei:
1. Connect to router using serial adapter
2. type command: adb shell
3. type cat /misc/imei to view and make "backup" Your current imei.
4. type echo "newimei" > /misc/imei

Heinz wrote:

Is this that simple? Have you tried to achieve this task?

@Heinz
I've compiled and done some initial testing on your patch. wan interface indeed works. as well as wifi and leds. the default network config, does not use vlan but it will likely work once its added to /etc/config/network .
I suspect the reason that the LTE interface is working without any tweak, is that it's been setup correctly in the original stock firmware web GUI before switching to lede. do you have any idea how one can communicate with this LTE device in lede and possibly change parameters and settings? i believe the stock firmware was doing that via /dev/ttyUSBx .
i also can not find any package containing adb in lede.
right now with this patch, this device is in a 'somewhat' workable state. as long as you setup the LTE parameters correctly in stock firmware, it works fine once switched to lede.

(Last edited by Hamy on 25 Sep 2016, 14:01)

mazilo wrote:
Heinz wrote:

Is this that simple? Have you tried to achieve this task?

Yes i change imei on my mr200, and on GUI and when use command cat /misc/imei i see new imei, but i dont know what see provider.

@Hamy I compile adb using this: https://gist.github.com/changloong/a20405fce066611bedae

You can easy install it to Your router using command:

opkg install http://hyniu.noip.pl:82/adb_android.5.0.2_r1-1_mipsel_24kc.ipk

To enable ttyUSBx on LEDE You can install kmod-usb-serial-option and add this device to known devices echo "2357 000d" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

(Last edited by Heinz on 25 Sep 2016, 16:19)

Heinz wrote:

@Hamy I compile adb using this: https://gist.github.com/changloong/a20405fce066611bedae

You can easy install it to Your router using command:

opkg install http://hyniu.noip.pl:82/adb_android.5.0.2_r1-1_mipsel_24kc.ipk

To enable ttyUSBx on LEDE You can install kmod-usb-serial-option and add this device to known devices echo "2357 000d" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

Thanks to your help, i have successfully activated the internal webserver of the LTE device. with this, we are able to fully control the LTE device via webgui even after installing openwrt. here's are the steps:

1- login to the LTE using adb shell
2- active executable bit for cgi files: chmod +x /WEBSERVER/www/cgi-bin/*
3- run httpd daemon: httpd -h /WEBSERVER/www/
4- access the webserver via your browser: http://192.168.225.1/login.html (user/pass: admin/admin)

Heinz wrote:

After this and installing comgt package, the connectivity and signal strength can be retrieved from the LTE modem by using comgt reg and comgt info . by this, and a simple script, we should be able to correctly utilize the internet and signal strength LEDs (we most likely will also be able to check for 4g connectivity and correctly utilize the 4G LED too. it's just the matter of finding the right command)

I believe after resolving this couple of issues, we could declare this modem, fully supported.

Would it be possible to make openwrt/lede build for TP-Link MR6400? As far as  i know, both Models are very similar. But i have not got running the serial debug port - so i cannot post any bootlogs.

@walx
It sure looks similar. however, without accessing to the terminal, there is not much can be done.
One of the few things that could be done without opening up the device, is doing a traceroute. see how fast the second hop response is and whats it's ip address(for this model is 192.168.225.1), we could at least see if the they're using the same method (or even the same LTE card). Also see if the second hop, answers to dns queries.

Is the 5GHz band working?

Zranz wrote:

Is the 5GHz band working?

No. apparently there is a lack of driver for that

Build the source from Heinz git
I'm getting a message:
Error code:4506
The uploaded file does not match the device's current hardware version.
I'm trying the web interface. Should I use an other interface?

Upgrade to LEDE not work with factory web upgrade. At this moment work recovery method:
Set IP 192.168.0.66, mask 255.255.0.0 on TFTP server on Your PC and share recovery file:  ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin
Connect router to PC using LAN cable
Press and hold reset button and power on router
wait ~10sec and relase reset button.
wait ~2 minutes to router boot up.

After flashing router have IP: 192.168.1.1
To configure  3G/LTE go to: http://192.168.225.1/login.html   Login and password admin

WARNING!!! Recovery file contain bootloader. If You use wrong recovery file You brick the router.

You can back to stock firmware using system - backup/flash firmware and upgrade with "mr200_back_to_stock.bin"

Use file from my package:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9LBO … HllV25UX2s

My firmware have LuCI interface.

(Last edited by Heinz on 27 Oct 2016, 16:30)

@nico-nl
Also check MR200 openwrt wiki page for more info. it is indeed way safer and easier to use a tested working firmware for initially switching to lede than preparing one yourself (this is mainly because you need to include bootloader at the very beginning of the firmware and any mistake on that part would brick your router). after the initial switch, the usual sysupgrade methods could be used to upgrade to the newer versions (or even switch to openwrt if it ever adds the device support).
Also note that the provided back-to-stock firmware file by Heinz, is a sysupgrade compatible one (meaning it should be used inside a running lede/openwrt instance to do the switch). DO NOT use the tftp method with that file or you're gonna brick your router as it does not include bootloader.

@Heinz
Do you plan to keep those files in your google drive? if so, i could add the link to the wiki for new users to use them instead of instructing them how to prepare one.

(Last edited by Hamy on 28 Oct 2016, 05:01)

Thanks all

Hi,

so any updates on whether the modem is fully supported with openwrt?

Thanks

Heinz,

Thanks for porting LEDE onto the MR200. My initial problem with the original firmware is not being able to port forward properly to use VPNs due to the LTE modem.

I've tried to open ports 500 and 4500 which I know my equipment uses to establish a tunnel but a connection cannot be made, probably due to Double NAT.

Is there a way to bridge the WAN and LAN and take a DHCP address from the LTE modem? Can you please help with the config. I'm happy to have no firewall on there, fully open in and out as the device has it's own router and firewall behind the VPN

all portcheckers are saying all ports are closed

@polobeast did You try set static IP on WAN interface to:
IP 192.168.225.100
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.255.1

dns 192.168.255.1

Modem have enabled DMZ to IP 192.168.255.100

Hi, I have modified the 3G modem GUI to only provide dhcp to start: 192.168.225.100 and end:192.168.225.100.

This gave me the 225.100 every time but I still could not forward or open UDP 500,4500.

I then tried to statically assign the WAN to 192.168.225.100 and do the same testing but I had the same result. There may be a problem with where I'm applying the forwarding and one of the other rules may be taking priority and changing the port? I just can't seem to work passed it.

Thanks for your response by the way, I've put 3 solid days into trying to work through this solution. I have a dlink N300 and a dlink dwm157 doing the same job and it works out of the box! I would prefer to use the MR200 all in one solution.

Hi, I have an MR200 from Amena in Spain. Do you guys think the current LEDE from Heinz is stable enough for deployment? The firmware from TP link is buggy.

HI , i too wana change imei of my mr200.Sim card saying sim card error .please see sim in good condtion as sim is okey and running well in phone  as i bought it new sim for mr200. Other opertor sim work well expect one network. So tell me procedure for it. thank u.

(Last edited by abilash10 on 24 Nov 2016, 14:37)

I am looking for short-cuts. All this stuff here are pretty technical and I do not understand one bit of it. LEDE or not it still is same problem.

If anyone is willing to help configure my  TP-Link Archer MR200  to enable me change the IMEI and also have OpenWRT or it's alternative I will be more than happy. I got this router because of its sim slot. I searched here on the router page and didn't click for details i thought if it is listed it is supported my bad and i bought 3 of them.

I am will to pay for this service via bitcoin/paypal/western union.Alternatively if there is any other router that has support for OpenWRT with sim card slot please recommend me. I can't find USB dongle here in my country as most providers uses HUaWEI rooter these days here.

I need this urgently please.