OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: 3G/4G:LTE rssi signal strength indication?

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 May 2018 and 3 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

vinca wrote:

I tested (for Huawei usb dongle) this 3g.gcom script (add to gcom)

AT^SYS
^RSSI: 4
INFOEX
^SYSINFOEX:2,3,0,1,,3,"WCDMA",41,"WCDMA"

OK

^RSSI: 5

on web gui displayed: AT^SYSINFOEX "WCDMA"

How to edit 3g.gcom script to display WCDMA or EDGE or HSDPA (without quotes also)...

:match("\"[a-zA-Z0-9 ]+\"") and in javascript use .replace("\"","")
read this https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/12434#comment:11

I have written NCM protocol support for openwrt - allowing newer usb dongles, that use ncm instead of ppp to provide broadband.
I designed system as modular, therefor, drivers/at-command sets can be added.
Currently I have provided only support for device that I have: huawei e3276 but it is pretty easy to add support for other ncm dongles as well. Unfortunately, "status" page is set to support only ncm devices at the moment, as it needs a serial TTY of modem for communication and fetches it from network/wan configuration and checks that used protocol is ncm. Although, one can pretty easily to make changes to this..
Additional packages provide:
- at-command set support for Huawei e3276 (full support: initscript, mode setting, connection initiation, carrier info, cell info, signal info)
- protocol support for luci. Allows fast/easy setup in luci.
- ncm status for luci: visible dongle stats in luci, including hardware information, current mode, carrier, cell and signal information.

Code uses only comgt and shell scripts, so it's universal. No any binaries are provided/needed. Package is not made dependant on usb-modeswitcher, but your dongle most propably is (just giving a hint here) - User must handle modeswitching manually. Also on my setup, I had to add vendorid:productid of switched device to /etc/modules.d/usb-serial (usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1506)

If not chosen otherwise, interface is brough up/connected automaticly on boot, or when device is connected to USB port.

Here is image of setup:
ncm luci setup

And here is a screenshot of status:
ncm luci status

---

My work can be patched to current trunk tree from patch available at here: http://patchwork.openwrt.org/patch/4474/

And packages are available at: https://sites.google.com/site/variousop … awei-e3267
They are compiled for Netgear WNDR3700 - but my project is just bunch of scripts, therefore, architechture independant and work on all openwrt devices that can meat the dependancies.

(Last edited by jake1981 on 28 Nov 2013, 15:36)

[Updated 20 march 2014]

Site has once again been updated ( https://sites.google.com/site/variousop … awei-e3267 )

Instruction for building your own NCM packages have now been updated.
Also there are new packages, netifd was changed in OpenWrt's revision r39956 and
NCM packages for older revisions didn't work anymore.

Site now allows downloadable packages for both, revisions before r39956 and after..

(Last edited by jake1981 on 20 Mar 2014, 20:03)

I have a dongle related question about getting the Operator from the hardware.

I am using a Huawei EM820U Pcei card.

When I run AT +COPS? I get a response that has the carrier name as:

+COPS: 0,2,"54720",2

The operator being:  54720

I would prefer to get the actual name of the provider.

Is this an issue wtih the device, or is there some way to trasnlate this code into a name?

I looked at the scripts mentioned in this thread, and it seems they are just using the return value from COPS, so perhaps it is a limitation of the 820U?

Any help or pointers would be great.  Thank you.

EDIT:  I solved this issue by issuing the command: "AT +COPS=0,0,,"

This tells the Huawei modem to return the text string instead of the numeric value.

(Last edited by JohnV on 28 Aug 2014, 21:48)

As patchwork.openwrt.org isn't available anymore I'd like to as if somebody still has the source of the NCM status page so that I can integrate it into my own build.

I'm also very keen to have this functionality.

I think a solution is floating about in various patches or methods of operations - I'm trying to get some clarity on this. Will post back when I find out.

well, i also installed it now ...and was searching hard for it ....

[img]upimg.org/?di=D6D7[/img]
modifed script files to get correct modem infos ...

if anyone is interested, i added currently support for HUAWEI **909 chip** which are having a lot of devices eg: teltonika, ZBT
also support for LiNR values and LTE ...

don't know how to add here attachments ...also no links allowed ... is not very comfortable ..

anyhow if anyone interested - can contact me via PM

(Last edited by camro on 30 Sep 2016, 12:26)

Hi Community!
@jake1982 - is there any chance you could prepare luci-app-ncm-status for lede x86-64 ?
I use e3267 as a backup wan and really like your app. Would be nice to have it on my router.

The discussion might have continued from here.