OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bandwidth monitoring

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi

I'm looking solution for monitoring bandwidth per host in CL.

I tested Yamon 3, Bandwidthd, wrtbwmon, vnstat and iftop.

Bandwidthd is cool, but available only from web.
Vnstat way cooler with bandwidth statistic, but can't show stats per host.

Can you help me with finding solution, please ? wink

You can also look at Darkstat: not as cool as Bandwidthd, but can provide the bandiwdthd per host.

How to install darkstat ?

There is no package from official repo

or you can try wtBRMon

I tried wtbrmon, and i don't like it, it's base on qos.

I want try darkstat, but i can't find package.

I found github.com/openwrt/packages/tree/master/net/darkstat
But i don't know how to install on openwrt CC

ronin wrote:

I tried wtbrmon, and i don't like it, it's base on qos.

I want try darkstat, but i can't find package.

I found github.com/openwrt/packages/tree/master/net/darkstat
But i don't know how to install on openwrt CC

Yes: that is the correct link to have the latest version of darkstat.  Unfortunately, it is only available as a package in Trunk.
I submitted it for CC, but they do not want to add anything new in CC,therefore my pull request is still sitting there!  In any case it would only be available to compile in CC even if the pull request would be accepted!

If you want to try it, I can compile it for CC if you would like, but you will have to provide me with the router model.  If you want to compile it yourself, the files found in Github for trunk compile fine for CC.

(Last edited by jmlacroix on 29 Sep 2016, 00:44)

Thanks for suggesting darkstat. Just experimented with it for a few minutes and here's a list of cons/pros over vnstat.

1. darkstat is independent from Luci, so if you don't (want to) have Luci installed, darkstat is a better option than vnstat; if you like everything in Luci -- vnstat is a better option.
2. darkstat can only listen on one interface per instance, so if you want it listening on two interfaces, you will have to set up two sections in the config with different ports (I've looked at the init script and it looks like it'd work, but I haven't tested it).
3. vnstat doesn't list hosts like darkstat does, however darkstat only lists IPs and doesn't seem to resolve them (maybe there's a setting I didn't set).

stangri wrote:

2. darkstat can only listen on one interface per instance, so if you want it listening on two interfaces, you will have to set up two sections in the config with different ports (I've looked at the init script and it looks like it'd work, but I haven't tested it).

3. vnstat doesn't list hosts like darkstat does, however darkstat only lists IPs and doesn't seem to resolve them (maybe there's a setting I didn't set).

I am not sure if darkstat can monitor multiple interface.  It would be possible to create two instances, but this would require modifications to the init script.

The lack of resove of the IP is not something related to darkstat, but something in the OpenWrt setup, and I do not know what it is!  I have a router with both darkstat and bandwidthd and none of them resolve the IP addresses correctly, although darkstat can resolve a few IP (4-5).

I have not investigated much on this behavior.

jmlacroix wrote:

It would be possible to create two instances, but this would require modifications to the init script.

You're right, I've tried changing the config by adding another section and it doesn't look like it gets picked up. init script will need to be modified to allow multiple instances. sad

The discussion might have continued from here.