OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [SOLVED] How to mount exFAT partition automatically?

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I've to mount my USB hard drive manually by this command after every rebooting.

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/

I tried to modify /etc/config/fstab as bellow, but it's still no luck.
Anyone can help? Thanks!

/etc/config/fstab

config global
    option anon_swap '0'
    option anon_mount '0'
    option auto_swap '1'
    option auto_mount '1'
    option delay_root '5'
    option check_fs '0'

config mount
    option enabled '1'
    option device '/dev/sda1'
    option target '/mnt/usb'

(Last edited by billychow on 18 Sep 2016, 02:38)

I don't think there is a way to mount a fat drive automatically, at least i never found one, you can try putting the mount command in etc/rc.local (System > Startup if you have Luci) and that should at least mount it at boot i think, although i've never tried it myself.

Lets check that we have the correct nomenclature here.  There is exFat and vFat files systems on the OpenWrt side and EXfat and FAT32 on the Windows side. 

I know that micro-SD cards 64GB and above are coming delivered with EXfat, which is a Microsoft proprietary format.  I am not aware that any other device is formatted as such, at least by default, and honestly not clear on what advantages EXfat has if any.

I use FAT32 with kmod-fs-vfat for most of my devices as I run Windoze and suck up the 2GB FS limitation.  I have just checked my Kingston MLWG2 and it has no issue booting the SD Card formatted FAT32. 

My global config section is identical.
My mount sections specify the uuid and file system, but I configure the devices thru the Luci interface and mount points does the heavy lifting.  I also have Samba installed and manage permissions thru that.

May pay to list all the packages you installed for USB. 

If you truly are running EXFAT, then you may wish to see this post.  I did try to use exFat and just gave up.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=65745
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=64608

There are a few other refs to EXFAT if you search the forum

mikemccartney wrote:

I don't think there is a way to mount a fat drive automatically, at least i never found one, you can try putting the mount command in etc/rc.local (System > Startup if you have Luci) and that should at least mount it at boot i think, although i've never tried it myself.

Thank you! It works!

RangerZ wrote:

I am not aware that any other device is formatted as such, at least by default, and honestly not clear on what advantages EXfat has if any.

Actually, there are many. exFAT partitioned drives are read/write on both Mac and Windows, no stupid limit of maximum size of the disk, etc. So, it not just another obscure hard disk format.

I did not call it obscure, nor did I intend to imply such.

fstools lack support for exFAT fs identification.

The discussion might have continued from here.