OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Camranger - Bricked during Update... MR3040

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi OpenWrt -

I've managed to Brick my Camranger during an update (Tripped on the cable mid update! Don't ask!)

Is it possible to "De-Brick" it - and re-install an Original copy of the Camranger Firmware>? I have Serial Numbers etc - and would like to make use of the expensive code!!! -  Gulp!!

Looking at the Camranger box - Its a V2.2 TPlink MR-3040.

Is anybody able to offer up a Step-by- Step guide on how to do this...? As I'm a complete novice when it comes to Firmware hacks/Mods/ Saves/ DEBRICKING!

Im currently running a Macbook Pro. - with no access to windows PC.
USB-TTL Serial connector on its way.

I've Trawled the forum and had a look for any other posts - and can't see anyone who has done this before, sorry if I've missed a similar article on this else where!

Hope that someone can help!!

Thanks in advance!!

@Camerafirm

It may be possible. Inside the downloadable Firmware Upgrade 10 DMG file, there is a file called CR2-v2.bin, which seems to have the right size to be a firmware image. To be precise, it is 16 bytes larger than expected, so this seems like a header, which needs to be stripped off.
To unbrick, you would follow these instructions from the wiki. But instead of all the pain of setting up a TFTP server, I would transfer via serial line using Kermit (data transfer takes a few minutes, but usually it takes longer to get TFTP running). So, in uboot, these would be your commands:

loadb 0x81000000

Transfer stripped-off CR2-v2.bin using Kermit in your terminal program.

erase 0x9f020000 +0x360000
cp.b  0x81000000 0x9f020000 0x360000
bootm 0x9f020000

In the worst case, you can send it back to let the vendor flash a new firmware - they may just charge for shipping.

The discussion might have continued from here.