OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kingston Mobilelite G2 (MLWG2)

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

ScriptGiddy wrote:

...got it working with my iPhone tether over USB and OpenVPN smile

I am curious why you went to tether?  I use the internal hotspot to connect to my phone for 3g.  Does your carrier not support this function?

RangerZ wrote:
ScriptGiddy wrote:

...got it working with my iPhone tether over USB and OpenVPN smile

I am curious why you went to tether?  I use the internal hotspot to connect to my phone for 3g.  Does your carrier not support this function?

Sure thing - there are a few reasons.

1) no need to deal with a complicated wireless setup (iPhone wifi > MLWg2 client > secondary AP channel..in theory it should save a lot of energy on both devices)
2) Keeps my phone charged and topped off
3) This is a neat trick which i suppose works over wifi as well - but the iPhone can actually route to the MLWg2 over USB (I can SSH into OpenWRT or hit the WebUI while over the cable since the iPhone is more or less treating it as an ethernet interface)

I've actually been considering building a case with an OpenWRT board and LiPO back for my Phone so I constantly have access to a linux box, LiPo pack, and vpn tunnel (plus GPIO, etc)....but my CAD skills aren't great.

Thanks, I had done this on my GLi AR150 at one point, but decided that I did not see an advantage over wireless and could eliminate one cable.  I do not recall if the AR150, which needs a wall wart, charged the phone.  I never tested to see if there was a speed difference, but I assume, that at least on my old iPhone 4, that the wireless is faster than the 3G.

RangerZ wrote:

Thanks, I had done this on my GLi AR150 at one point, but decided that I did not see an advantage over wireless and could eliminate one cable.  I do not recall if the AR150, which needs a wall wart, charged the phone.  I never tested to see if there was a speed difference, but I assume, that at least on my old iPhone 4, that the wireless is faster than the 3G.

Sure thing.  The AR150s are great little boxes. I have a similar setup using a UML295 (presents itself as an ethernet interface which is awesome and also has GPS) that I take with me on the go. The AR150 should be able to charge the phone as well - but I don't think its going to provide a ton of current. In my case - the USB is faster than using a wifi connection between the router and the phone since i'm usually using another client in the mix to do my browsing (it doesn't need to 'relay' the data over the radios, saving bandwidth and energy.) I'm a bit confused about your comment about wifi vs 3g - but usually when I'm using this box - i'm rebroadcasting my phones LTE connection to Wifi so other clients can use it.

My wifi connection between router and the phone is faster than the 3G connection to the ISP\telco.

RangerZ wrote:

My wifi connection between router and the phone is faster than the 3G connection to the ISP\telco.

Right - okay. That makes more sense.  I think we have two different use cases here. Like I said in my previous post, I'm using my MLWg2 to share my iPhone's LTE connection over Wifi or ethernet. In essence -I'm using my iPhone as the modem over USB.

This of course is only for travel or embedded development for remote applications or when I need a secondary WAN connection to test things from outside my firewall - at home I use a multi-lan PC running debian for routing and other network services with an AirPort Extreme as the wireless front end. I'd use OpenWRT for my home routing - but I prefer Debian due to the wide array of available packages (Wireshark and Virtualbox just to name a few).

Can someone help me please?

So after reading all these discussion in the forum for couple of days I decided to install OpenWRT in my Kingston MLWG2. I followed the exact same instructions in the readme file except for one step (well.. tried to be oversmart yikes).

I downloaded the "openwrt-15.05-rc3-ramips-mt7620-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" file and renamed it as "openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" and copied that to the SD card and then rebooted my MLWG2. After re-booting it I dont see the wifi enabled on the device (I dont see "OpenWRT" as SSID when I scan for WiFi networks). I see the green light (which indicates charge) and the blue light (which is the bridged LED ) ON. I am not able to connect to my device either through WiFi or through Ethernet.

I used a microSD card 32 GB formatted as MSDOS FAT using mac.

Can someone help me please..

EDIT: If I switch off the MLWG2 and connect it via a USB cable to my mac I am able to see the SDcard and its contents.

(Last edited by abc90_xyz91 on 2 Sep 2016, 09:16)

Hi.

I successfully flashed OpenWRT on my MLWG2 using the unofficial images provided in the Wiki page of the device.

Everything was working flawlessly until I tried to configure WDS following this guide (sorry, I can not link to the guide).

I changed the IP of my MLWG2 (fine) and then configured WiFi to join my home network. I configured the WPA2 password, applied changes and then I was disconnected from the WiFi. Now I can no longer connect to MLWG2 neither by WiFi nor Ethernet.

Is there something I can do to regain access to the device? Is there a way to safe boot or restore to a working configuration / factory defaults?

Thanks in advance.

papapapa wrote:

Now I can no longer connect to MLWG2 neither by WiFi nor Ethernet.

Read here
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe
For ethernet they might be some error here in the DTS file ...
I must check by myself

Hi elektroman.

Thanks for your message. I have read the document but, unfortunately, I can not make the device to boot in failsafe mode.

I do not own a serial console, so I have tried the two first methods. None of them seem to work as:

1) There is no light blinking when powering on the device. When I turn it on (long press of the power button) I have both the battery and the bridged connection lights on (yellow and blue, respectively). I kept it on for minutes. Nothing happened.

2) I have connected it to my computer, configured my ethernet port to IP 192.168.1.2, started Wireshark on that interface and then I turn the MLWG2 on (with the long press). Some packages are captured, but all of them originate in my computer. Nothing coming from 192.168.1.1 is received.

Is the device hard-bricked? Should it be sending the broadcast package through the Ethernet port?

Thanks again for your help.

-> 1
I've tested several methods for recovery on my device which is attached via serial for debugging. No avail ...
You need serial console.
Check for USB serial adapter with 4 wires on ebay

5V / 3.3V USB auf RS232 TTL UART PL2303HX
Built-in TTL COM PC-PL2303HX Chip
Standard USB type A male and TTL 4 pin connector
Simple and Easy way to give USB support to your designs
Available for Linux, Mac, WinCE and Windows (XP, 2003), Vista Win 7
Black cable-----GND
Green cable-----TXD
White cable-----RXD
Red cable -------VCC 5V

Don't connect the red wire. I must check the wiring on my device ...

->2
There is some error in the switch config.
I've resolved this issue but didn't commit this in my local repository, so I must do again find the error.

hello   possible update to 15.05.1?

If you already have installed the firmware then yes.  15.05.1 is available here:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … ps/mt7620/

I do not suggest using OpenWrt or LEDE trunk on this device only because the default config has no WAN or WWAN and it's a pain to config the device to install packages and enable wireless unless you are highly skilled.  There is no Luci in trunk.

(Last edited by RangerZ on 5 Jan 2017, 23:11)

Good I do not know how to make the update

I came to flashing MobileLite G2 to OpenWRT, cause I wanted to use it with my 1TB ext4 drive, while traveling without a laptop.

There were no problems flashing via USB (from the first post in the thread) to v14..
But upgrading via GUI to v15.01 firmware (three posts above) with "preserving settings" got the device stuck.
Beware!

I was unsuccessful at finding a Serial app on Mac with working binary/kermit transfer, but actually TFTP over Ethernet (2: Load system code then write to Flash via TFTP) did work. Used PL2303HX TTL cable.

Speedtest.net gives 45/45 Mbps real throughput via LAN while MobileLite G2 as Wireless AP or Client@20Mhz and 22/15 Mbps as Wireless repeater (1st SSID AP, 2nd SSID client). Pity the device has 1 TX/RX chain only sad

Any progress on making Reset Button actually reset a config?

(Last edited by i3laze on 19 Dec 2017, 08:57)

hi i am new to openwrt,
i have a mlwg2 for which i flashed the openwrt firmware through USB method
,everything was working fine luci webui worked BUT as papapapa (post 183), i did the wireless repeater thing to extend my wifi,but after reboot the wifi was disabled and the power led and Ethernet led is only on, as i know this after reading entire thread that the firmware of this openwrt don't have reset button working,

i tried
>to see if the universal repeater is working through the lan,
-so first of all let's say a mobile hotspot was repeated to the mlwg2 the ip it assigned was 192.168.137.1 and subnet 225.225.225.0
-i did a nmap/zenmap on that ip through windows 10 laptop lan port , where i got some 9 ports open ,
-hmm so i thought there is no problem with the board of mlwg2 ,
-i have a tenda n300 router which now i made again a universal repeater so when mobile hotspot was off does this tenda act like mlwg2 through lan(nmap/zenmap)? yes it did (not a big achievement)
-ok heard about packets sniffing , installed windump(alternate to tcpdump) on my win10 pc and ran cmd with 'windump -i 2' where 2 is Ethernet interface. got a ton lot of packets but i did not capture it ,i could later.
-something fishy was, i saw a hex pattern on the windump cmd with on the right column had ......w.....
                                                                                                                                                .....d......
                                                                                                                                                ....w.......
                                                                                                                                                ......d.....
-but this hex was for two times and was in couple seconds after boot.

>next heard about making a static IP so that mlwg2 will connect, but no luck or maybe i need more advice from you guys

>what about that mlwg2_header.bin found in zip file ?
i did not use it while flashing, i carefully did what read me file said. i don't say my flashing was wrong, i am saying that setting a repeater without checking if the wlan was on/off was a mistake.
so can i buy a USBtottl device, so that i can get into boot sequence and get it to failsafe mode?
should i say i ruined this engineering marvel mlwg2 beyond repair?
i think so i can and i will try what ever i can to get this beast to work again.
ps. i had this device for quite a few years used this device to it limits, but now i stumbled upon openwrt where i can get even more functions of this tiny monster.
and i am stuck here anyone advice me please.

The only advice I can give you is IF you do get this working, do not screw with it. 

This device is a community supported device as opposed to a OpenWrt supported device.  Big difference.  There is no dev support behind community supported devices other than a handful of very interested parties with a wide variety of skills.

At this point there is really no-one working on this and I will not even upgrade mine.  The lack of the reset functionality is the big concern.  There is no way for the common man to recover it at this point. 

The best alternative for a battery device is the GL.inet MIFI.  I am not aware of any other supported device with a battery, but there are a lot less expensive alternatives for a repeater.  http://www.gl-inet.com/mifi/#1442566104 … f13c3-dd9d

The discussion might have continued from here.