OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Sysupgrade not updating firmware

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I am experimenting a strange behaviour from sysupgrade. I have flashed a
ubiquiti nanostation m5 using the factory firmware downloaded from the
openwrt website (CC 15.05.01 kernel 3.18.23).

Then I have decide to build my own firmware from the latest 15.05.01 (kernel
3.18.36).

However when I try to flash the router with the sysupgrade image (using either
luci or the command line) it seems that some partition is not updated. In fact
after rebooting I still find the old image with kernel 3.18.23. No error is reported
during the sysupgrade flashing procedure.

Moreover even if I do not specify "-n" the configuration is NOT preserved. Could
this be a bug?

R.

No, the problem is different. Flashing the nanostation with CC 15.05.01 downloaded from the openwrt web site worked without problems. The router boots and everything works fine. However if now I try to reflash it with another image the firmware is not updated.

I had a similiar experience with my latest build, although I don't know if this is related to your problem. Sysupgrade must have gone somehow wrong, since I ended up with some files from my usb drive on root and root having permission problems. I solved it with flashing the orginal firmware back (from Linksys) and then flashing my custom openwrt build. Worked like a charm!

I know that doesn't explain any problem, but maybe it is a possible solution for you.

hamvil wrote:

No, the problem is different. Flashing the nanostation with CC 15.05.01 downloaded from the openwrt web site worked without problems. The router boots and everything works fine. However if now I try to reflash it with another image the firmware is not updated.

Maybe I am wrong, but to be clear, OpenWRT will install fine on the new AirOS version, or at least appear to.

The issue is it cannot save any config changes, nor update the firmware.

So, try to make some changes to config in OpenWRT.  Save them.  Power off the unit.  Turn it back on and see if the changes persist.  If not, this is your problem.  If the changes are there, it is something else, you are correct.

The discussion might have continued from here.