OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Connect a Client via LAN to the Wireless network with OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I've got a TL-WR802N (A TP-Link "Nano Router), flashed OpenWRT on it, originally for another purpose, but want to use the device now just as a wifi client, which connect's a lan wired device to my wifi network (So that the device is accessible from the other devices in my wifi network).At the moment, I'm only familiar with the LuCI Web configuration Interface, so perhaps, you can recommend me a simple solution for that, without setting static routings on my original wifi network router (With the original firmware of the nano router, as far as i remember, this had been possible). Perhaps the easiest solution would be, that the wifi client just pulls an IP Adress via DHCP, and forwards all the traffic in both directions to the lan wire.

Thanks for help in advance

Best regards

Daniel

(Last edited by Masiwo on 23 Aug 2016, 06:28)

Did your dog eat your (searching) homework?

Well, I must admit, that I really don't get along with those tutorials. I also tried to try them out yesterday, but nearly broke the device, because I can't reset it, cause the hardware reset button is not working -> I rather stick to the Web Interface where I hopefully can't break everything. In the LuCI Interface I normally go to Network -> Wifi -> Scan -> Add my Network as a "Client", attach it to wwan, so my device gets internet connection. So this works, as well as visiting local network urls of the other devices in the wifi network. But that does not work in the other directon (How should it, I get assigned a 192.168.1.219 IP adress...). Is there a simple solution, to, well unify the wlan client and the lan connected client?

(Last edited by Masiwo on 23 Aug 2016, 08:36)

Masiwo wrote:

Is there a simple solution, to, well unify the wlan client and the lan connected client?

Be so kind to update the WiKi when you develop that.

Ha ha ha... But well, perhaps I can make myself a bit more clear. I want my little tp link router which I use as the wifi client accessable from the other clients of the wifi network he is connected to, WITHOUT changing anything on the AccessPoint which offers the wifi. Afaik ther's not tutorial covering that, so I'd like to ask for a solution. I think this should be possible.

Best regards

Daniel

Nothing need be added nor removed from the AP that has 'net access.

What you require has been successfully deployed, many times over.

Hello again,

so, I now googled a bit around, and figured out, that the bridge would be able through this "Client WDS" Mode. Unfortunateley, my main router is a netgear one, and I absoluteley don't want to flash OpenWRT on it. Could you perhaps give me some keywords to search for, how I can achieve this without a second OpenWRT Router where I can enable the AccessPoint WDS ?

Best regards

Daniel

Masiwo wrote:

... where I can enable the AccessPoint WDS ?

Doing your homework will reveal that Netgear too supports WDS on many models OOTB.

The discussion might have continued from here.