OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Spamming MUST end!! Add captchas to registration

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2012/03/this_is_spam.gif
Lately the forum is full of spam! mad
I don't remember if there were captchas to solve when registering, but anyway, should be done or hardened!
Lets make this forum a bit cleaner, will be better for all, less work for the moderators... smile
Regards

Agreed!

IF we get rid of one person the StUPID post and SPAM will decrease by 90% and everybody knows who that is the main TROLL on these forums.

He goes around read other people POST who are trying to help and say incorrect and starts an arugment and leaves.He is SPAMMING up the place too with his stupid spam WHO AM I TALK*ING ABOUT THAT STOOOOOOPID TROLL MAX SLOPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Last edited by ckm on 22 Aug 2016, 15:09)

Simple measures against spamming:

Add rel="nofollow" to links posted by forum users, so search engines don't uprank them (makes this forum for worthless for SEO spam).

Prevent new users (postcount < 10) from posting links completely.

ckm wrote:

IF we get rid of one person the StUPID post and SPAM will decrease by 90% and everybody knows who that is the main TROLL on these forums.

Problem is *we* can't get rid of anybody or anything here, because we are just forum users without any admin rights. Since it seems this forum is basically unmoderated, spam and trolling will just go on as ever.

no captchas  pleas! captchas  are the bane of people using screen readers. if your site is bad or you are blind like me then captchas  make it impossible to sign up. we just need some admins to help clean up the place.

ckm wrote:

IF we get rid of one person the StUPID post and SPAM will decrease by 90%...

<snip>

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/865/wikipedian_protester.png

not only forum but dev board too, why not give some users admin privileges to delete the spam as soon as it is posted?

anarchy99 wrote:

not only forum but dev board too, why not give some users admin privileges to delete the spam as soon as it is posted?

I wouldn't mind doing that for the forum.
Just moderator privilege is needed for spam control...not Admin.

In!

N.B. - must wait until RafaƂ returns from his hols

I wouldn't mind doing that for the forum.
+1

tried to register but captchas  page has no button to "enter" or register. hit enter key, it failed.
then tried to register again, it said:
Trac Error
Submission rejected as potential spam

basically, spam is stopped but also register/posting are stopped as well.

Please, no captchas

The easy work around is to do 2 things.

1. Have an admin periodically delete the posts.
2. Users can elect to not click on spammed posts thus never having to read them.

wjiang wrote:

tried to register but captchas  page has no button to "enter" or register. hit enter key, it failed.

I just tried to register for a new account and was never asked for a captchas.

Trac Error

Under what username did you try to register?

mazilo wrote:
wjiang wrote:

Trac Error

Could it be wjiang is having this show based on location, rather than showing for everyone?

HooTooJunkie wrote:
mazilo wrote:
wjiang wrote:

Trac Error

Could it be wjiang is having this show based on location, rather than showing for everyone?

TBH, I would not know.

i think the only real way to block spam is to add a captcha on every user post

however, for blind people i believe there are captcha methods that allow you to hear the code .. should be implemented

atesin wrote:

i think the only real way to block spam is to add a captcha on every user post

too annoying. enough for login.
Nobody will manually log in bots to every forum

"Trac error" means the user was trying to create an account in the old dev.openwrt.org which is now in read-only mode. Nothing to do with the forums.

nitroshift

I wrote no links, only file paths and even so it was rejected.
There must be another solution. How can I write a solution without writing the complete path for a file?
Best
Eduardo

The discussion might have continued from here.