OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Travel router with OpenVPN client

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I have been plowing through the forums for quite some time now, but I can't seem to find an exact answer to what I'm looking for. (my apologies if I haven't been looking/searching right :-) )

My usecase:
I'm going abroad to an appartment with the family in a few weeks. The appartment has Wifi. I want to be able to use my Netflix/chromecast combination to watch my regionally provided content and watch geolocked TV via Internet.

So in short:
My chromecast/laptop --> <device to purchase with OpenVPN client running> --> Wifi of appartment --> OpenVPN server in my home --> Internet

My research has brought me:
- I need a reasonable amount of RAM and flash space
- I need a reasonable CPU (for the OpenVPN)
- The device needs to be able to connect to multiple SSIDs at once

I found Kingston MLWG2, which is compact, quite cheap (about 40 euros), I however can't find if the device is capable of being both a wireless client and an access point at the same time.

Does anyone have simular needs and experiences with my usecase?

Wait... you are on holiday with family and are more inclined to spend time watching the boob-tube than spending quality time with family and learning of the local surroundings? Really?

lenn wrote:

- I need a reasonable amount of RAM and flash space
- I need a reasonable CPU (for the OpenVPN)
- The device needs to be able to connect to multiple SSIDs at once

<snip>

I however can't find if the device is capable of being both a wireless client and an access point at the same time.

Point for point -
- subjective without knowing the memory footprint of the application (RAM) and ancillary packages you require (MTD / flash)
- subjective without knowing the cycles consumed by the application
- untrue but most if not all radio chips have the capability

That is a software feature that most distros for wireless routers offer.

N.B. - currently you have established an OpenVPN server? And no mobile (VPN) client?

Thank you for your concerns in regards to how I spend my holidays :-)

And yes: I have an OpenVPN Server running at home to which I want to be able to connect to from the outside world with an OpenWrt device so I can use my other devices which don't run OpenVPN clients by themselves.
And No: I don't have a mobile access point that can use a Wifi connection as it's WAN-side and has an OpenVPN client.

(hence my question on this forum :-) )

lenn wrote:

My chromecast/laptop -->

Can this device access the OpenVPN server (client installed)?

N.B. - no mention of multiple devices in the OP

I have and use a Kingston MLWG2 in a similar manner.  It works good as long as you have a fast enough connection.  I find I need to be able to get at least 6-7 Mbps thru the tunnel to watch video with good quality (tested on you tube, do not have Netflix), so you may need twice that for a connection. 

Support is waning for this device, but it's not hard to flash.  There are other options with dual Ethernet that will help improve speed if you can directly access the main router in the apartment.  See the TOH
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_ … %5D=travel
This view is supported and unsupported devices so read carefully

The discussion might have continued from here.