OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Help needed on WZR-HP-g300nh

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I have a WZR-HP-g300nh 1.61.1.08 EU that I had it running DD-WRT for years. I wanted to try openWRT, so I accessed the site page about my router, took a quick look and saw that I could wget the image and then run mtd. Much easier than tftp so I ran it. During the flashing it appeared a message about Locked U-Boot. The router booted ok, no diag light on but I can't access it. It does not give any IP address. Tried to tftp stock image but it does not work anymore (I did that some times when applying DD-WRT bricked the router). Looking further into the page I saw a section about Locked U-Boot and that upgrading from DD-WRT would prevent me from doing tftp. Unfortunately I read this only after flashing, otherwise I would had done tftp.
Now I am trying to get access to the serial but it shows me only strange chars like below. Tried minicom, putty and the result is the same. Read in one page of the internet that serial access is locked on 1.08 models (mine).
Terminal emulator is set to 115200,8,N,1 with no hardware or software flow control.

Please help me. I like this router very much and the country I live in is not easy to find good cheap routers like this. Anyone has any idea? Can this router be recovered/unbricked?

�����������+���YMIH�C������U�t�{�ʺ��T�ڔ�;j�j+�YMIH�C����U�t��t��t�������������ʫ�z���v����������i��mY�g��l�Y��=W�������;jԪ��T�t��t��t�������������ԺtT�4������������������������������������������6���������V����������V����

Thank you all in advance,

Carlos

(Last edited by guidugli on 26 Jul 2016, 04:22)

Don't know exactly why, but using a cable from a  computer serial to router serial did not work. I used an old mouse cable to do the connection, the ports were right but minicom did not show the correct characters. Then I used my raspberry pi to connect to the serial and it worked very well. I was able to see that uboot was not overwritten and saw the correct mac address to do tftp. Now the router is working fine. It seems that latest version do not work for WZR-HP-g300nh, had to use a previous one.

The discussion might have continued from here.