OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@doITright

In the 20 years I'm using Linux only a few projects managed to get on my do not use list. For lede the nail in the coffin was the project announcement to openwrt-devel and the follow up smoke grenade. I was disgusted. The huge discrepancy between what was said and what happens doesn't help things either. Sure, I could go into details but this is not the place for it. So lets just say out of principle, for political reasons.

@sera

Fair enough... As a simple end user, I really have no idea of the politics involved but can relate.

I thought it may have been something technical

Cheers

Anyone working on getting 4.4.17 working on lede or openwrt? I tried building but some patches might need fixing.

I tried earlier today, looked like some patches(generic) may have been up-streamed. Have not pursued any further as still trying to get a owrt 4.7 happening.

Edit: that try was on lede

(Last edited by Villeneuve on 10 Aug 2016, 23:57)

@lifehacksback

I wonder if this ---> http://news.softpedia.com/news/tcp-flaw … 7182.shtml was fixed in kernel 4.4.17.

Also, does anybody know if we can extract the config files from a squashfs image without installing it on the router?

(Last edited by alexandrosio on 11 Aug 2016, 01:45)

With all kudos to @sera regarding the work behind this post as well as followup posts, I have stuffed a mamba 4.7 kernel image built with that patch set for those who would like to kick it about.

Regarding the 4.4.17 kernel, I only found this patch:

target/linux/generic/patches-4.4/095-ARC-unwind-ensure-that-.debug_frame-is-generated-vs..patch

which can be moved out of the way, as it has been up-streamed, to allow a successful build for that kernel release. The assumption being that you have already built to 4.4.16, i.e. moved aside the up-streamed patches from that release,as here.

(Last edited by Villeneuve on 11 Aug 2016, 04:00)

@sera Thanks for the work on the 4.7. A couple of issues but will let it run and see what happens.
(I did seem strange to me to change head in the middle of the build)?

root@OpenWrt:~# uname -a
Linux OpenWrt 4.7.0 #4 SMP Thu Aug 11 01:03:32 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@OpenWrt:~#

alexandrosio wrote:

[...]
Also, does anybody know if we can extract the config files from a squashfs image without installing it on the router?

unsquash or loop mount the rootfs extracted from the sysupgrade tarball.

northbound wrote:

@sera Thanks for the work on the 4.7. A couple of issues but will let it run and see what happens.
(I did seem strange to me to change head in the middle of the build)?

root@OpenWrt:~# uname -a
Linux OpenWrt 4.7.0 #4 SMP Thu Aug 11 01:03:32 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@OpenWrt:~#

A couple of issues? Let me know what an I might be able to shed some light or fix it. I do not understand what you mean by "change head in the middle of the build". Could you elaborate?

@Villeneuve

When you asked about backporting the new image building code, did you mean the naming scheme of the build artefacts or about being able to select targets selectively?

@sera
If I get time today I will save a build log.
I build with V=s and I saw the "changed head to" I did not catch all the message.
This was about 1/2 way through the build.
Wireguard would not load and cesa was not enabled.
It is probably something I screwed up. I will dig deeper when I have the time.
Thanks again.

Hi Guys,
While copying files on to usb hdd or watching film via minidlna in kernel log I have got phy0 or phy1 failed to reallocated TX Buffer, I know the issue belongs to memory leak, I have seen a few posts regarding the issue but no solutions, so far I changed free memory for kernel in /etc/sysctl.conf and attached usb stick with swap partition but kernel not even touching this and the issue still exist. Do you guys got any ideas how to fix that? I was using Gargoyle, Lede, David's build, on every one the problem occurs.

@sera
The sub-target granularity. In this case, being able to select mamba,cobra,shelby,caiman, but leaving out the SolidRun clearfog etc.

Just pushed the latest driver to both trunk and CC, which adds support for the WRT1200ACv2 and the WRT1900ACSv2. I'm rebuilding the images I had for CC as we speak, will let you guys know when they are up smile

Got me a little problem.

Building Sera's 4.7 seemed to go just fine.  However this is what my caiman does when booting to either nandboot or altnandboot.

http://pastebin.com/KfGVeWXe

@alexandrosio
I don't think a fix for that has been back-ported. Which leads one to ask why it is being discussed so publicly; usually this stuff is kept hush-hush until a fix has been widely dispersed.

I've just picked up a WRT1900ACS, got a good deal on Amazon.  I've been following this thread for about a week and have reviewed the wiki, trying to figure out what to load on it.  I'm planning to use it as my main router in the house so I can't have it be unstable.  As of now I have no plans for any usb or sata attachments to it.

I currently use CC on my old router, so I'd like to be able to port (recreate) my settings in luci on the new router.  I'm not planning on doing my own builds so I'm looking for the best option for me.  I see there are a handful of users doing builds but only a few are linked to on the wiki and those appear to be a bit older.  Any advice?

CC is the current stable, but has been a little problematic due to known wifi driver issue. But @Kaloz has just posted that he will be putting a new CC with updated mwlwifi, so that may be your best bet once the build is in place.

sera wrote:
alexandrosio wrote:

[...]

@sera This only works for the sysupgrade.bin. How about the *-squashfs-factory.img?
I have an image from a VPN provider built on OpenWRT, and I would like to read their config files.

kirkgbr wrote:

Got me a little problem.

Building Sera's 4.7 seemed to go just fine.  However this is what my caiman does when booting to either nandboot or altnandboot.

http://pastebin.com/KfGVeWXe

ubi_attach [ubi]: bad image sequence number 1832218409 in PEB 186, expected 1759407395

Just a guess, did you flash the *-ubi-factory.img using sysupgrade maybe?

alexandrosio wrote:
sera wrote:
alexandrosio wrote:

[...]

@sera This only works for the sysupgrade.bin. How about the *-squashfs-factory.img?
I have an image from a VPN provider built on OpenWRT, and I would like to read their config files.

You can extract the squashfs using dd, don't know the offsets by heart but you can get it from target/linux/mvebu/image/Makefile for your device.

I'll only get home late tonight so maybe someone else can assist if it isn't obvious.

Kaloz wrote:

Just pushed the latest driver to both trunk and CC, which adds support for the WRT1200ACv2 and the WRT1900ACSv2. I'm rebuilding the images I had for CC as we speak, will let you guys know when they are up smile

Do you plan to add the needed dts for the WRT1200ACv2 and WRT1900ACSv2 as well?

And if we already have you here, do you mind to elaborate what mvebu patch xxx-revert-i2c-delay.patch is about? This is the only one that still isn't clear to me what it is for.

Cheers

sera wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

And if we already have you here, do you mind to elaborate what mvebu patch xxx-revert-i2c-delay.patch is about? This is the only one that still isn't clear to me what it is for.

Cheers

No extra dts file is needed. That patch was needed to unbreak boot on the Mamba (WRT1900ACv1).

The new files are up at the usual location if someone wants to take them for a spin smile

sera wrote:
alexandrosio wrote:
sera wrote:

You can extract the squashfs using dd, don't know the offsets by heart but you can get it from target/linux/mvebu/image/Makefile for your device.

I'll only get home late tonight so maybe someone else can assist if it isn't obvious.

@sera Thanks for your help.

I found the following in target/linux/mvebu/image/Makefile..

dd if=$(KDIR)/root.squashfs bs=$(3) conv=sync; \ 
) > $$(BIN_DIR)/$$(IMG_PREFIX)-$(2)-squashfs-firmware.bin 

But, I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

Kaloz wrote:
sera wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

Cheers

No extra dts file is needed. That patch was needed to unbreak boot on the Mamba (WRT1900ACv1).

Thanks, much appreciated.

Sorry, posts 12776 to 12775 are missing from our archive.