OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Will LEDE replace openwrt?

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

It looks LEDE recruit some openwrt developers. Not sure the future of openwrt. I am really feel comfortable with current openwrt and also don't want to see the development source divided.

Is there any plan to merge them?

Don't worry.

Bobby McFerrin wrote:

...be happy!

I've just been catching up with this story. When I saw the names attached to the fork, it seemed obvious to me that LEDE is where the future is. It's basically all the most active developers.

Reading back through the meeting logs and mailing lists, it seems apparent that they felt that the current management model of the OpenWRT project was just too cumbersome and was holding them back from what they wanted to spend their time on - developing. The worry with a fork is that it spits resources and duplicates effort, but the way this one is going it looks more like a leadership coup. So maybe this could be a good thing that breathes new life into the project.

I don't care what it's called (and the OpenWRT name is rather out of date - this is much more than a custom firmware for linksys routers, after all), I just want this project to continue in whatever form to produce by far the most flexible embedded linux distribution in existence.

(Last edited by Degeneratescum on 1 Aug 2016, 15:36)

Degeneratescum, if we are into the domain of aesthetics (OpenWrt name being "outdated"), then I can rightfully express my feelings - I do not like the "LEDE" name at all.

(Last edited by booBot on 1 Aug 2016, 16:05)

I will have to go with Bill on this one: A rose by any other name...

booBot wrote:

Degeneratescum, if we are into the domain of aesthetics (OpenWrt name being "outdated"), then I can rightfully express my feelings - I do not like the "LEDE" name at all.

It's outdated because it refers to a specific model of linksys router from 14 years ago, I wasn't judging the aesthetics, I couldn't care less. The LEDE name at least stands for something more descriptive of what it is now (Linux Embedded Development Environment).

aafj wrote:

I will have to go with Bill on this one: A rose by any other name...

How about stenchblossom or crapweed OS? Anyone?

Dinner?

booBot wrote:

I do not like the "LEDE" name at all.

By all means to stay remains at OpenWRT.

LEDE reminds me an old and painful project LRP (Linux Router Project). I just basically don't like something called Linux ... because it could be abandoned shortly after. OpenWRT is still a good name reflect the nature of open.

Degeneratescum wrote:

I've just been catching up with this story. When I saw the names attached to the fork, it seemed obvious to me that LEDE is where the future is. It's basically all the most active developers.

Reading back through the meeting logs and mailing lists, it seems apparent that they felt that the current management model of the OpenWRT project was just too cumbersome and was holding them back from what they wanted to spend their time on - developing. The worry with a fork is that it spits resources and duplicates effort, but the way this one is going it looks more like a leadership coup. So maybe this could be a good thing that breathes new life into the project.

I don't care what it's called (and the OpenWRT name is rather out of date - this is much more than a custom firmware for linksys routers, after all), I just want this project to continue in whatever form to produce by far the most flexible embedded linux distribution in existence.

For me I prefer the name LEDE...actually is pretty cool sounding and all.

Don't worry, soon enough LEDE developers will disagree on something and the will fork again. I am surprised that OpenWRT lasted so long. Normally when a project gets big enough, there is always "disagreements". Didnt you ever see the number of Linux distributions? smile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L … tributions

I tried to figure out exactly what was the disagreement or why they couldn't fix the problem within OpenWrT without forking a new project. I couldn't find any detailed information other than vague explanations, it sure looks like somebody had a bad day.

Unfortunately, so many distributions doing the similar things ends up with divided work force and bad quality.

yurtesen wrote:

Don't worry, soon enough LEDE developers will disagree on something and the will fork again. I am surprised that OpenWRT lasted so long. Normally when a project gets big enough, there is always "disagreements". Didnt you ever see the number of Linux distributions? smile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L … tributions

I tried to figure out exactly what was the disagreement or why they couldn't fix the problem within OpenWrT without forking a new project. I couldn't find any detailed information other than vague explanations, it sure looks like somebody had a bad day.

Unfortunately, so many distributions doing the similar things ends up with divided work force and bad quality.

Did you get a chance to read this?  https://lwn.net/Articles/686767/

The discussion might have continued from here.