OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Performance Oriented OpenWRT Builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 12 Sep 2015 and 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

1)MIPS16 does not do what it advertises. That is marketing speak.
If you do an actual compile it doesn't save any space at all because uclibc is by nature already small
2)If you do a netstat you will see how many instance ubus is listening unnessarily
3)CodeAuroa Patches need to be fixed to patch properly it is not copy and paste
4)It is not some if you bother to test it is alot
5)WRT54G has only 100Mbps port it is physically impossible
6)Just because it is opensource does not mean you cannot point out its flaw, I am just suggest a patch and test process to QA that the patch does not introduce regression into the system instead of pretending everything works.
Apparently you too conceited and full of yourself to accept any inputs other than your own imagination on how things work.
Gd luck with that.
Good Day.

Deleted my posts as to not mess up your thread. To sum up my view, respect the great job the devs are doing for us and be constructive instead.

Anyone tested the BB build on wdr3600 ? Any reports?

I've been using it for months in a 30/3 connection and it works great. Even with a little bit of OC (600Mhz).

@alphasparc thank you for your great work, December'15 version works great. Looking forward to some CC builds wink

This is the fastest build I've ever tested for my WDR4300 router. Many thanks!

Can you share overclocked firmware for even more speed? smile

It seems I cannot install udpxy using your build. I get this error message:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install udpxy
Installing udpxy (2015-03-08-c045a1e855a8033c5d70ab3e42271ba5636eb520-1) to root                                         ...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packa                                         ges/packages/udpxy_2015-03-08-c045a1e855a8033c5d70ab3e42271ba5636eb520-1_ar71xx.                                         ipk.
Configuring udpxy.
//usr/lib/opkg/info/udpxy.postinst: line 4: default_postinst: not found
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "udpxy" postinst script returned status 127.
 * opkg_configure: udpxy.postinst returned 127.
visata wrote:

This is the fastest build I've ever tested for my WDR4300 router. Many thanks!

Can you share overclocked firmware for even more speed? smile

It is in the github link.
Make sure you are clear about how to flash the uboot while retaining the MAC Address and the WDS Code

visata wrote:

It seems I cannot install udpxy using your build. I get this error message:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install udpxy
Installing udpxy (2015-03-08-c045a1e855a8033c5d70ab3e42271ba5636eb520-1) to root                                         ...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packa                                         ges/packages/udpxy_2015-03-08-c045a1e855a8033c5d70ab3e42271ba5636eb520-1_ar71xx.                                         ipk.
Configuring udpxy.
//usr/lib/opkg/info/udpxy.postinst: line 4: default_postinst: not found
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "udpxy" postinst script returned status 127.
 * opkg_configure: udpxy.postinst returned 127.

The log seems to indicate the problem is with the udpxy package
I will take a look at this when I have the time

(Last edited by alphasparc on 7 Dec 2015, 03:50)

Any chance to release R8000 optimized build?

@ alphasparc

thank you smile this is the first release for me that handle 24h wlan bridgemodus without drops at my 1043v1.
Any chance for Chaos Calmer builds?

(Last edited by blackThirteen on 11 Apr 2016, 07:06)

I was informed about these by another use and thanks for the builds! They managed to increase my 4300 from ~190mbit to ~310mbit on my advertised 300mbit connection.

I am another user asking Chaos Calmer support wink

ow can i make a Performance Oriented OpenWRT Build in general ?

I will experiment with my Arcadyan VGV7510KW22 (O2box-6431) with MIPS architecture
The default comiler options are:

CONFIG_TARGET_OPTIMIZATION="-Os -pipe -mno-branch-likely -mips32r2 -mtune=34kc -mdsp"
CONFIG_SOFT_FLOAT=y
CONFIG_USE_MIPS16=y

What is softfloat ?
I was thinking this is only relevant for ARM architecture

My only idea is to change the -Os to -O3 flag.
Is this a good idea ?

The hardfloat vs softfloat distinction applies to most architectures, even x86 (just that since the pentium 1/ AMD K5 days, no one has produced x86 CPUs without a floating unit anymore). Given that normal routing use cases don't need hardware accelerated floating point support, you (at least traditionally) often find CPUs not supporting it in embedded devices (one IP core less to license), so in order to support eventual floating point instructions anyways (and to avoid patching normal software using it), the kernel emulates it in software (which is very slow). However given that faster bandwidth require faster router CPUs (not even starting about additional, non-routing, features crammed into modern top of the line routers), hardware floating point support is slowly starting to appear 'by accident' (ARMv7 is hardfloat by definition, although that technically wouldn't prevent a router manufacturer to do otherwise), for mips router SOCs, softfloat is still more common (but even there hardfloat alternatives exist).

So it's up to you to check the CPU and its features of your router in order to find the ideal set of optimization flags - or to just ignore it and stick to defaults (which will work and probably aren't significantly worse either).

The discussion might have continued from here.