OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Any mini routers with 1GB Ethernet?

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Looking through the supported list, finding lots of interesting leads but most gigabit devices are larger than I need, most with a switch included and wireless.

I just need one of those mini routers or similar but with a gigabit interface and even more importantly that is supported, not in trunk but what ever you call the main code that I can build using Image Builder.

Would appreciate any input you might have on devices that might fit this.

Thanks.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if there's a gigabit router smaller than EdgeRouter-X.

PS. There's an Image Builder for trunk as well.

The guy that maintains a binary build for one of my apps complains when we use trunk. He says it's not the same as <what ever not trunk is called>.

That's an interesting device and thanks, at least I have a good lead now. However, I thought there were a few mini routers with gigabit NICs now.

well, Banana Pi had a gigabit ethernet on it, and its supported by OpenWRT as well.

Interesting. Thanks!

Wish they would list operational temps and cases for it.

UPDATE: Darn, it doesn't seem to have any onboard storage. I need something that is all self contained like the usual tp-link and other devices. I'll keep reading about it.

(Last edited by projects on 10 Jul 2016, 19:56)

well you can just slap in a sd card on it no problems, id rather had a removable storage than a fixate storage to mess around it, with that I dont have to worry about the write cycles on flash memory that is common problem on routers.

(Last edited by remlei on 11 Jul 2016, 00:05)

I hear you but in my case, I need them to have internal storage. I've only ever heard about the flash memory dying but have never seen it. I've been running some devices like tp-links for over two years 24/7 non stop without any issues what so ever.

well I guess banana pi is not for your suits then.

there's a atom based development board that had gigabit ethernet and mini-pcie slot on it, with usb slots etc... it also had a 8gb internal memory as well. It has a similar sized of raspberry pi. but this board is very expensive might as well just buy a full size router that had better spec (r7000) or a APU based router.

I'll keep looking. Thanks very much for the leads. I'm sure cheap 1GB Nic devices are coming.

Please do not forget to post back here when you find them.

What I mean is that I'm sure gb nic based mini routers are coming. Right now, all I can find are what you mentioned, some mini PC's and arduino type devices.

Not seeing anything that indicates it's got a GB LAN port or supported in OpenWrt.

You are a bit vague in your requirement and purpose, which is your prerogative but makes it difficult for others to suggest potential alternatives. 
   1 or 2 Ethernet?
   What type\size storage?
   USB ports?
   CPU, Memory, Flash?
   Max physical size?
   Price?
There is little other than moving massive amounts of data that I can see really needing GB band width.  I have a 100Mb router, but hang Gb switches behind it for desktop clients and get 650Mbps or more transfer.  Only have 50Mbps internet, so the router is fine.

This is brand new from GLi and probably the best equipped device in the class.  No GB Ethernet, but 300Mbops wireless, and will eventually support AC with an add-on.  http://www.gl-inet.com/ar300m/