OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-WA901ND v4 suport

The content of this topic has been archived between 24 Feb 2018 and 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Obsidian2099 wrote:

I am trying to flash one of these too, but I am not quite sure of what I'm doing when it comes to tftp. I'm following the generic flashing instructions and I have a few questions:
1. Does this device have a tftp server in it? In other words I want to confirm if I should follow the "Bootloader contains TFTP client" procedure or the "Bootloader contains TFTP server" procedure.
2. From your pc/laptop did you use the 192.168.0.66 address for `setenv ipaddr` or `setenv serverip` ?

The procedure to flash this model is well explained in the post by 'iorx' and I succeeded on the first try. Many thanks to him.

This model comes with TFTP client in the bootloader. You need to run TFTP server on your PC.

When the AP turns on with the reset button pressed, it configures itself as 192.168.0.86 and starts TFTP client. Then it looks for TFTP server at 192.168.0.66 and requests for wa901ndv4_tp_recovery.bin file if the server is found. The TFTP session takes just a few seconds to download the firmware file.

It is not necessary to login with serial port to change the IP address if you change the PC IP address accordingly.

DJ

For people wanting to build themselves, support has been added to the 15.05 tree.

The firmware image files created by hostle19 are very much appreciated as he put efforts to include Luci in the image. It is good if you want to use the standard features built-in the firmware.

However, if you want to install some packages like nodogsplash from the repository, it will fail due to the kernel version difference (as of April 27 2016).

On the other hand, if you take the firmware image from the snapshot trunk, the packages will install fine but Luci can't be installed due to lack of space available.

The best way is to generate a new firmware image file from the pre-compiled moduless taken from the trunk. OpenWrt wiki https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obta … e.generate explains very well how to do so. This page http://www.andrewklau.com/generating-my … -firmware/ was also helpful.

I removed the ppp and pppoe packages since it is an AP and added luci module in the image using the following command.

make image PROFILE=TLWA901 PACKAGES="luci"

Thank you, wonderful people of OpenWrt community.

DJ

hostle19 wrote:

Here is the links for the tp-wa901nd-v4 bins on my site...

CC branch
http://fire-wrt.com/forums/showthread.p … ;p=3#post3

DD branch
http://fire-wrt.com/forums/showthread.p … =21#post21

cheers

Hello, could you please explane about CC branch  and DD branch? what is it? and what image is stable, from this router WA901ND i urently need 802.1x eap-peap-mschap v2 autorizaion, AP get internet via WISP, and all trafic goest via ethernet cable to home.
what need to download?
thank a lot!

also when i try to upgrade firmware from this page - http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/tp-l … wa901nd_v4
i cannot do this, always have error "Error code: 18005 Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name"
can upgrade only official FW and only this version - TL-WA901ND(EU)_V4_160304. any different "bin" had error above.
thanks.

iorx wrote:

Use tftp and recover mode to get the .bin in place.

• Install tftp (tftpd32)

• Set your IP-address to 192.168.0.66

• Rename the factory bin file "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v4-squashfs-factory.bin" to "wa901ndv4_tp_recovery.bin" and place it so that tftp can pick it up (same folder as tftp works)

• Start tftp

• Hold reset for a couple of seconds while turning on the accesspoint

• Check status of the download (tftp - log viewer). You should see a fetch of the bin file

• If successful the accesspoint reboots and is accessible on 192.168.1.1 after a minute or so

Worked for me from same stock firmware version you got.

cannot do this procedure, install tftp, create filder - with file - wa901ndv4_tp_recovery.bin . hold reset device, and have no connection, and nothing in log.
what can i do any else? thanks!
tried on two laptops and differnet tftp clients, nothing changes. empty actions smile

(Last edited by m@dox on 8 May 2016, 20:59)

Have any news people? needs help! thanks!

CC = Chaos Calmer branch (stable)

DD =  Designated Driver branch (development)

for the tftp server to work you must manually set you pc network settings to match the tftp server address .. there is plenty of info on this method all over the forums wink

hostle19 wrote:

for the tftp server to work you must manually set you pc network settings to match the tftp server address .. there is plenty of info on this method all over the forums wink

i did all actions as like in manuals from "iorx" , but it didnt work, cannot install openwrt-factory.bin via tftp.
maybe anybody have any way? how i can do this?
thanks

Hi all again, have any news about how to install "bin" file to the router?

hi!! i need to download the .bin files. could you please give the permisions. my username is alphadog89. thanks!!

any news people?

hostle19 wrote:

CC = Chaos Calmer branch (stable)

DD =  Designated Driver branch (development)

dear hostle19 - could you please give access to resource. i wrote a personal text in them web site.
thanks.

My AP has stock firmware from TP-Link currently installed, factory settings applied
Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 151102 Rel.55514n
Hardware Version: WA901ND v4 00000000

I downloaded and built CC 15.05.01 (from the git source).

I set up a tftp(d) server running on 192.168.0.66.   I copied the openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v4-squashfs-factory.bin file to the ttfpd server directory with the name wa901ndv4_tp_recovery.bin.

I can successfully "get wa901ndv4_tp_recovery.bin" from this tftp server.

I connected my AP to this LAN.  While holding the reset switch I powered on the AP.  After a few seconds (or more - many different timings) I released the reset switch.

I monitor the traffic on the VLAN with tcpdump.  Nothing until the AP has booted the TP-Link firmware and sends DHCP/BOOTP requests.

I then went back to the TP-Link website and downloaded two different versions of the firmware:  wa901ndv4_en_3_16_9_up_boot(151029).bin and wa901ndv4_eu_3_16_9_up_boot(160304).bin.  I tried using the "Update Firmware" menu item to install each of these.  With both these I get the bad file error as mentioned in this list before.

What am I missing?

Is it possible using the TP-Link firmware upgrade menu to load "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" (or "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v4-squashfs-factory.bin" if appropriate)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tim.

P.S. I see that "Obsidian2099" and "m@dox" had similar problems with upgrading the TP-Link firmware in a different thread on this forum  ("General Discussion" -> "TP-Link WA901ND v4 - help flashing firmware") with the same hardware and firmware from TP-Link.

Is the wireless of TP9343 working with cc 15.05?

Dear hostle19 - could you please give access to the bins?

Username is JojenStark.

Thanks in advance,
J

For those of you having trouble updating to openwrt from the new stock tp-link firmwares with the region code implementation, I have created a modified stock tp-link bin to bypass the region check routine and allow openwrt bins to be loaded us usual via the firmware upgrade option within the tp-link gui. The modded bin can be found on my site here --> http://fire-wrt.com/forums/showthread.p … rt-upgrade

for those who cannot access the files on my site, pm me on my site and I will activate your accounts

Hostle

JojenStark wrote:

Dear hostle19 - could you please give access to the bins?

Username is JojenStark.

Thanks in advance,
J

I have activated your account, you should be all set ..

Hostle

Hi!

i registered in your site, username andescomit, please activate my account!

your image has LuCi on it??

i used the trunk available in openwrt site, but comes without luci and when i try to opkg it, free space is not enough. i believe it is because of temp files downloaded, so if your image includes luci, i think i will guet web gui.

Thank You!

jbrmiller wrote:

Hi!

i registered in your site, username andescomit, please activate my account!

your image has LuCi on it??

i used the trunk available in openwrt site, but comes without luci and when i try to opkg it, free space is not enough. i believe it is because of temp files downloaded, so if your image includes luci, i think i will guet web gui.

Thank You!

Yes the images have LuCI.. you should have access now.

Hostle

cobz wrote:
hostle19 wrote:
draxxz wrote:

Can you please give me access over on fire-wrt? Username there is "draxx".
Thanks!

you should be all set

hi hostle19, can you please give me access on fire-wrt?
my username is tipaksikil, thanks

Done wink