OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys EA8500 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 26 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi ianchi,
Thanks for soft float image but i will be able to test the new image in 10 days, now I do not have physical access to the router.
Currently, the router is stable (2 days uptime) on your hard float image. Radios 2.4&5G performance and range are great , better than on WRT1900ACv1.
I think EA8500 is now one of the best routers in openwrt smile

Finally got around to testing it.

Ran into same issue re: full image, it won't run opkg-installed apps.

/etc/init.d/linksys_recovery does not seem to properly reset boot counter, probably should just fw_setenv boot_part_ready 3 instead of mtd resetbc s_env

Anyone running Linksys Stock 169978 and above will most likely need to open up their router, because of the firmware encryption. There's also reports of B00 rev in the DD-WRT thread as well. Given how everything is becoming locked down, anyone who is interested should buy an A00 rev and make sure they are at or have 168206 fw handy.

-- Starfox

The problem with opkg is that packages are still compiled with soft-float and I've moved to hard-float to profit all de CPU power.
I left an image with soft float in my dropbox, some time ago.

Now I've switched to the new LEDE fork and I'm working on making it work with Linux v4.4 and in getting it integrated in trunk.

My new repo for this, if anyone whats to join, it would be great to have more people testing and fixing:
https://github.com/ianchi/lede-ipq806x/tree/ea8500

I have also uploaded a new image (hard-float & kernel 4.4.11) to Dropbox.
Please, confirm if with this one you still have de boot counter problem.
By the way, the counter has to be updated with the mtd method, as it resides in a different partition and it is not an uboot env variable.

Thanks for the update.

I tried sysupgrade, failed miserably. Also should note that the recovery is now /sbin/sysrevert, since I had to go to the git to figure out where that script was. Package install works, although I had to enable repos first. It's no longer reverting after multiple reboots, so that's good.

Any chance that you could do a full build with LEDE? My current router is using the build supplied here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50914, which provides a pretty decent package list.

-- Starfox

Uploaded a full LEDE 4.4 version.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fr5wma9xfsuy … BCPBa?dl=0
Haven't tested it very much:

• LEDE has merged my patch for hard float, so feeds must be working well with opkg.

• sysupgrade is working

• sysrevert also working (it's correct what you found, I've renamed it and placed like sysupgrade).

• FIXED buttons. Reset and WIFI are working, WPS is working but no script configured.

• FIXED wifi led

• With the change to the new compat-wireless in LEDE, now there are some warning traces written to the log.

The image has these additional packages:

• LUCI

• openvpn

• transmission

• samba

• hd-idle

• ddns

• minidlna

• ffmpeg (moded with libx264 and lame)

• youtube-dl

• wifi ON by default

• All feeds enabled by default

Please send feedback and any package you find should be in the image. It's not particularly optimized, as my focus is on completing the port and making it into trunk.

(Last edited by ianchi on 31 May 2016, 14:57)

Thank you so much mr.ianchi ... your work is great
I have flashed the latest firmware uploaded on the dropbox and it works just great.
however, I ran into small issue, the packages are not able to be installed through GUI interafce neither SSH commands.
I have an errors related to dependancy,
to be specific, I want to install kmod-ipt-geoip package ...
thank you so much again.

Hi @Huthayfa, the problem with that package (and all kmod- packages) is that the kernel used by this image (4.4) and that of the feed are out of sync.
Previously no package worked because soft/hard-float settings were out of sync. This was updated in trunk to hard-float and so all userspace packages should be working.

But right now kernel packages won't work because I've already upgraded to Kernel 4.4 and LEDE trunk is still in the process of doing so for this platform, and remains in Kernel 3.18 while testing.
As they are currently working on this, I expect the upgrade in a few days time. Once LEDE trunk makes the switch the buildbots will recompile the feeds and you'll be able to install without need of firmware update.

I'll post an update once it's done.

ianchi wrote:

Hi @Huthayfa, the problem with that package (and all kmod- packages) is that the kernel used by this image (4.4) and that of the feed are out of sync.
Previously no package worked because soft/hard-float settings were out of sync. This was updated in trunk to hard-float and so all userspace packages should be working.

But right now kernel packages won't work because I've already upgraded to Kernel 4.4 and LEDE trunk is still in the process of doing so for this platform, and remains in Kernel 3.18 while testing.
As they are currently working on this, I expect the upgrade in a few days time. Once LEDE trunk makes the switch the buildbots will recompile the feeds and you'll be able to install without need of firmware update.

I'll post an update once it's done.

thank you again my friend ... keep up the good work,
waiting for your update ..

Hello,
This firmware is valid for those who have installed the version 171079?
For reasons of ISP I need to create a VLAN for FTTH, which would be the port VLAN to have internet connection. a greeting

As I posted earlier in this thread:

Newer versions (than 169978) are not supported, so if you updated further, please revert to previous version while you can (and disable automatic updates!).

As you are only one version ahead you should still be able to revert firmware, just go to
Troubleshooting - Diagnostics - Revert to previous

Once downgraded try installing.
US Version 171079 is signed, so much more difficult to replace.
So far, if you can't revert, you can flash from serial console. (but for that you need to open the router a have an USB-serial adapter).
As I it seems you are from Spain, perhaps you have "world" version. I haven't tried with that one, but perhaps
openwrt-ipq806x-EA8500-squashfs-factory_169978.bin
just works.

Please try and tell me. If it doesn't work and you are not on US firmware, perhaps I can make another image for it.

Hi guys,
and installed the version of ianchi and works perfectly, alone and noticed that costs load some parts of the LUCI interface, I have with my FTTH, for those who need internet via VLAN I leave my setup, above all a great ianchi work.

Vlan 1: 0t,1,2,3,4,6t
Vlan xxx: 0t,5t,6t

(Last edited by roberto_MCF on 6 Jun 2016, 16:03)

Hello,
thank you so much mr.ianchi ..
I have found an updated version of your lede firmware on your dropbox site,
I see you haven't post an update on the forum here,
looks like you are a work more - talk less type of person ... thank you so much.
best wishes for you my friend.

Hi ianchi,

Awesome that you have gotten so far, I have been using dd-wrt since I bought been the router while waiting for an openwrt/lede build and I will gladly assist any way I can.

I flashed mine yesterday (rev 00) with your full image and everything seems to work except I cant get an ip from my cable provider (dhcp) on the WAN port. Any suggestions for fixing that?

The router my cable provider gave me is set to bridge mode, which works fine on dd-wrt as well as my laptop but when my router is running your build it doesn't seem to get a public ip.. I have tried tweakng various things without luck and have now reset to the defaults for the build. The log shows netifd sending discover but it is getting no ip.

(Last edited by aldin on 11 Jun 2016, 22:38)

I just tried to set up my own dhcp server on my mac to see whether the router would get an ip from there on the wan port but that doesn't seem to work either. I verified that the dhcp server works by connecting a pc to it which received an ip.

Have you tried dhcp client mode on the WAN interface?

Thanks @Huthayfa.
Lately I've been working on getting the port integrated into Lede Trunk.
All the "conversation" is going on here:
https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/6

Soon I'll update a new image with all that has been going on over there.
Please let me know anything you'd like to get included in the image.

@aldin, it is strange. I do have wan set to dhcp and is working fine for me. In fact that should be the default configuration.
Can you do a tcpdump on wan ?
Any other having the same problem?

Hi ianchi,

I just debugged it to a previous bug report by doing some sniffing - https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/10570

I added except-interface=wan to /etc/dnsmasq and list notinterface 'eth0.2' to /etc/conf/dhcp and then it works. Not sure why this is happening though.

(Last edited by aldin on 11 Jun 2016, 23:54)

Hi Ianchi , cool if it were support for 3g/lte modems and mwan3 :

kmod-usb-net
kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether
kmod-usb-net-cdc-mbim
kmod-usb-net-cdc-ncm
kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm
kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan
kmod-usb-net-rndis
kmod-usb-net-sierrawireless
kmod-usb-serial
kmod-usb-serial-option
kmod-usb-serial-qualcomm
kmod-usb-serial-sierrawireless
kmod-usb-serial-wwan
chat
comgt
usb-modeswitch
mwan3
kmod-ipt-ipset
kmod-nfnetlink
kmod-ipt-core
kmod-ipt-conntrack
kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra

thank you in advance for joining it to the image

Regards

@ianchi , how to flash official lede snapshot from your image ? , sysupgrade works ?

Finally all changes have made it to LEDE trunk, and now EA8500 support is included in daily builds.
(https://downloads.lede-project.org/snap … x/generic/)
Wifi mac address have been fixed.
There is still a trace warning from wifi, from a regression introduced by the latest compat-wireless.
There are also some warnings remaining in klog, that needs still some work.

Trunk has also switched to 4.4, so now all packages can be installed with opkg, including kmods.

Also updated my full image. Details in top post:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 90#p312190

@slg, yes you can flash from sysupgrade

Hey @ianchi,

Appreciate all the work you (and other devs) put into it to get everything working.

-- Starfox

I just got an ea8500 and I'm trying to install the latest lede build, but need some help...

initial fw was linksys 1.1.4.171079 and I did a revert to fw 1.1.4.169978

I did a build of latest lede for ea8500, but when I try to upload lede-ipq806x-EA8500-squashfs-factory.bin via web ui, I get an error: invalid firmware file

I've tried a few other things: tried to revert to 1.1.4.168206, but get the same invalid fw file error...also tried to load the build available earlier in this thread, but I also get invalid fw. Are these possibly permissions problems or do I need to attempt a serial or tftp upload?

Hi @Konikofi.
It should be working OK over 168206.
Where you able to flash original 1.1.4.168206? If you are not on that version, and you have an US router, that might be the problem.

If you are on 168206, then It's long since I did a factory upgrade, and maybe some latter changes have caused trouble.

Have you tried with the firmware from post #2?, (the one that is hosted in this dropbox).

Please, confirm and I will have a look into it as soon as I have some time this week.

I get a firmware invalid when trying to load 168206...pcap shows signature check failed.