OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear DGN3500

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Lantiq is Intel now.
announce is on official site

The best ADSL blob for my 3500A is from Netgear official latest ww firmware (Extracted from GPL Package).
Best speed

Line Speed: 16.686 Mb/s / 2.110 Mb/s
Line Attenuation: 21.5 dB / 10.5 dB
Noise Margin: 9.5 dB / 10.5 dB

PPPoE only sometimes start work automatically after booting. The only reconnect button make it to work.
how to fix this, I do not know.

anyway ADSL is less stable then on original firmware, but on OPenWRT good WiFi and fast general work (on Netgear firmware offten I have to press link twice, looks like dns problems)

(Last edited by Snakus on 24 Apr 2016, 08:30)

Snakus wrote:

official latest ww firmware (Extracted from GPL Package).

What is the filename? In which folder exactly?

sciopath
extract file target.tar.bz2, extract it.

folder target\firmware\

file modemhwe.bin

Thanks!

Original DGN3500 firmware is using dsl_cpe_control binary file v4.8 which is much newer than used in OpenWRT one (). I think v4.11 used in XRX200 tree can be used for our device.

Also in the same file (original firmware) XTU bits used for ADSL initializating is  05_00_04_00_4c_01_04_00
Such combination is not present in dsl_control script.

I think this XTU bits combination may mean something like auto becouse no manual DSL Annex setting available in original firmware.

Also I wondering what scrips shall I change to get internet automatically working on initial boot. I swithced connection type from PPPoE to DHCP but still have same problem, I have to press Connect button in LuCi

(Last edited by Snakus on 22 May 2016, 15:45)

Snakus wrote:

Also I wondering what scrips shall I change to get internet automatically working on initial boot. I swithced connection type from PPPoE to DHCP but still have same problem, I have to press Connect button in LuCi

I wonder that too. This is the reason I've downgraded to OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07, here the connection will start automatically with PPPoE after a reboot/power loss

what does it mean errors:953 dropped:0 overruns:953 here ?

root@OpenWrt:/etc/init.d# ifconfig nas0
nas0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:01:00:00:00
          inet addr:94.179.249.141  Bcast:94.179.249.255  Mask:255.255.254.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::200:1ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1097617 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:946829 errors:953 dropped:0 overruns:953 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1181975263 (1.1 GiB)  TX bytes:92289321 (88.0 MiB)

as to 14.07 there is another problem on my router
after of 2-10 minutes of active internet connection it stops send / receive data, but in Luci all looks like started.
So i have to press Connect button again and again

so I have switched back to 15.05.1 with flw modifications:
/etc/config - change modulation selection (to may be auto)

config adsl 'dsl'
    option annex 'mm'

/etc/init.d/dsl_control add XTU bit from official firmware which means MMODE (multi mode)

annex_mm=05_00_04_00_4c_01_04_00

/etc/rc.local - add temporary workaround for WAN data transmission work

/etc/init.d/network restart

replace ADSL blob for newer one.

the only problem remains with errors on nas0 interface. I do not know if it is a router fault or line or DSLAM

can somebody check it on?
in Telnet command ifconfig nas0

(Last edited by Snakus on 28 Jul 2016, 06:19)

tryed  to compile from trunk.
Router starts visibily faster,
no Luci, I could not find it in make menuconfig , what I have to add?

Same sick as

after of 2-10 minutes of active internet connection it stops send / receive data, but in Luci all looks like started.

(Last edited by Snakus on 23 Jun 2016, 09:20)

Hi folks!

I've upgraded mine to 15.05.1 and works well (internet connection too, via PPPoA)!

I still don't understand how LED Configuration works...

If I want the dsl led to stay on when link is up and internet led to blink when there is activity I have to set the trigger of the first one to phy0assoc and the second one to netdev?

M3m3nt0
Yes. LED subsystem is comletely broken.
It look like router has correct LAN and Power LED config, but during boot the correct config is disabled and start working something terrible. At least LAN led just green and does not blink or change color in case Fast ethernet connection.

Power LED is also strange.

I manage to get it almost working.
Simly replace LED config in /etc/config/system with flw:

config led 'led_wifi'
    option name 'wifi'
    option default '0'
    option sysfs 'wifi'
    option mode 'link tx rx'
    option trigger 'netdev'
    option dev 'wlan0'

config led 'led_usb'
    option name 'usb'
    option trigger 'usbdev'
    option interval '50'
    option dev '1-1'
    option sysfs 'usb'
    option default '0'

config led 'led_dsl'
    option name 'dsl'
    option default '0'
    option sysfs 'dsl'
    option trigger 'none'

config led 'led_internet'
    option name 'internet'
    option trigger 'netdev'
    option mode 'link tx rx'
    option sysfs 'internet'
    option default '0'
    option dev 'nas0'

config led 'led_power'
    option name 'power'
    option default '1'
    option sysfs 'power2'
    option trigger 'default-on'

config led 'led_wps'
    option name 'wps'
    option sysfs 'wps'
    option default '0'
    option trigger 'none'

(Last edited by Snakus on 2 Jul 2016, 12:48)

Snakus wrote:

tryed  to compile from trunk.
Router starts visibily faster,
no Luci, I could not find it in make menuconfig , what I have to add?

Same sick as

I've compiled mine too today from trunk (OpenWrt Designated Driver r49395) using Ubuntu 16.04.
I followed this guide: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/buildroot.exigence and installed the sysupgrade.image over OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07

Everything works fine (for now), except for some little bugs (I guess because it's still under development).
Example: the Wi-Fi does not work with WPA2 encryption enabled. Apparenty it was unable to save the passphrase, I had to manually add it in /etc/config/wireless by replacing option key '1' with option key 'my_passphrase' with vi and restart from LuCI.

To enable LuCI, you have to check LuCI ---> 1. Collections ---> <*> luci after issuing make menuconfig

Hi, I just want to point out, that the DGN3500B works just perfectly with Chaos Calmer 15.05 and ADSL (Germany).

The leds default setup is fine. The DSL line is up for multiple days and has a tip better connection rates than with the original firmware. The wifi is stable and fast. All in all I would consider this port as stable and update the wiki?

P.S. I was wondering, that switching to Annex B needed to be changed via UCI command line, but not via LuCI webinterface. Did I missed an option, or an additional luci DSL module?

P.P.S. Thank you all guys for your hard work to develop and port OpenWRT to so many nice devices :-)

(Last edited by görlem on 25 Jul 2016, 18:18)

görlem wrote:

P.S. I was wondering, that switching to Annex B needed to be changed via UCI command line, but not via LuCI webinterface. Did I missed an option, or an additional luci DSL module?

LuCI do not support it.

you can also edit config files directly using WinSCP.

Did you install 15.05 or 15.05.1 ?

I used 15.05.1 and led is not working nomally even after correcting settings.

Yes Chaos Calmer 15.05 / LuCI (git-15.248.30277-3836b45). As said, everything fine at 3500B.

(I opened an feature request to add an DSL Luci option)

(Last edited by görlem on 28 Jul 2016, 05:20)

Some stability problems (including WiFi stability on stock firmware) looks to be connected with PSU

After replacing capacitor on DC from 680 mF to 1000 mF stability of the device improved.

PSU may be source of unstable work and complete fail of the router after 3-6 years due to engenearing error in PSU.
This cause some electric splash and can be diagosed with Osciloscope only.

Unstable work symptoms: unstable connect od ADSL, a lot of dropped packets and errors wisible in CLI - ifconfig command. When such errors on WiFi  are to much - WiFi may stop working nomally.

In my case it was not enough just to replace capacitor. It is neccessary more efforts to stabilise output.

Even may be same story with my new TP-Link W8970. Osciloscope shows - everything is OK, but replacing PSU solved some stability issues.

By the way both PSU 12V 1.5 A

(Last edited by Snakus on 14 Aug 2016, 15:51)

görlem I have installed LEDE https://www.lede-project.org/
It was compiled from OpenWRT trunk and LuCi has extended DSL info on summary page and extended DSL config page with all necessary settings implemented smile.

(Last edited by Snakus on 14 Aug 2016, 07:06)

I was surprised and alarmed of learning about the spin-off. I am afraid of the consequences that that could have on the project, in general.

However, I have also installed LEDE on my DGN3500B. It has a newer kernel (4.4.15) with a patched USB driver, so that SteveF's problem (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 53#p299453) should have been solved.
It also seems to boot 2x faster than CC.

I won't go on with the description of the other differences because I understand this is not the better place to do that.

(Last edited by chainofflowers on 13 Aug 2016, 20:53)

chainofflowers

LEDE was mentioned on OpenWRT site. So I do not see any problems here.

and also here http://openwrtsummit.org/

(Last edited by Snakus on 14 Aug 2016, 07:08)

Does anybody have Lantiq chipset ARX 168 datasheet or DGN3500 electric schema ?
It looks that my one needs repair works, of course if Soc is OK.
With stock firmware WiFi and ADSL unstable, ifconfig shows dropped packets and errors for WiFi interface
With OpenWRT ADSL is better, ifconfig shows dropped packets and errors for switch interface

(Last edited by Snakus on 14 Aug 2016, 15:58)

Snakus wrote:

Does anybody have Lantiq chipset ARX 168 datasheet or DGN3500 electric schema ?
It looks that my one needs repair works, of course if Soc is OK.
With stock firmware WiFi and ADSL unstable, ifconfig shows dropped packets and errors for WiFi interface
With OpenWRT ADSL is better, ifconfig shows dropped packets and errors for switch interface

I'm using my DGN3500 for more than 5 years now and it still rocks. I'm afraid I can't help with your request but, are you sure the instability depends totally on your DGN3500? If I were you I would try with another modem and see what happen.
Recently I had to call the ISP technicians for some instability, and they also told me could be my fault but it turned out to be a remote modem fault.

entryburn
Thanks.
Another modem is working good. It's router fault.

chainofflowers wrote:

However, I have also installed LEDE on my DGN3500B. It has a newer kernel (4.4.15) with a patched USB driver, so that SteveF's problem (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 53#p299453) should have been solved.
It also seems to boot 2x faster than CC.

Thankyou so much for mentioning this as i'd not heard of it before and tested it out yesterday.

Definatly boots alot faster, seems to be online and connected within 2mins rather than 5mins that I was dealing with on OpenWRT.

I'll continue testing but so far LEDE seems more stable, I had it uploading files all evening without a disconnect, OpenWRT would reconnect around every 5hrs under heavy load.

I was starting to put down all the DGN3500's problems to an old hardware issue but LEDE is a big improvement so if anyone is having problems I'd recommend giving LEDE a go!

(Last edited by EarthwormD on 19 Sep 2016, 09:58)