OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear WNR2000 OpenWRT (Atheros AP81, AR9103 chip, u-boot)

The content of this topic has been archived between 3 Apr 2018 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

If you SSH in, run 'firstboot', then reboot (if that is necessary), do your settings stick then?

I just want to post a reply here as this was the most visible forum for this router, WNR2000V3.

The primary issue is that the trunk .img file has "WNR3000V3" as it's "device:" string in the file header.

I have found that the original WNR2000V3 firmware images from Netgear have "wnr3000v3" as their device strings.

I tried to change the characters from upper case to lower case, but it looks like there's some checksum validations that are failing.

Can someone make the new truck image with "wnr3000v2" instead of "WNR3000V2"?

Also, if there's a known fix for this, please let me know. I may have overlooked some things as a lot of the info on this router requires a  bit of digging into message boards that I'm not familiar with.

Thanks.

Chris

Just a follow up...

Model: WNR2000V3 (s/n 2SG2265A09C61)

I got this thing for $2 so no sweating losing a device, but I'd really like to have this working as an 802.11a bridge.

So I found fuhry's how-to on pg 4 and gave it a try.

I downloaded all 4 of his files to the router to /tmp via tftp (busybox).

I then ran all four mtd commands. 1-3 went fine, number four kept complaining about not being able to erase the device.

I googled a bit and saw that some people in the dd-wrt forums said they had this happen but didn't see any negative results, so I trudged forth.

I rebooted and.... bricked.

When I power cycle the device, I am immediately presented with:

NO power led
orange Internet led
1 is dimly lit (probably off)
2 and 3 are out
4 is on.

and then after a few minutes, I am presented with:

NO power led
orange Internet led
1 is still dimly lit (probably off)
2, 3, and 4 are now on

None of the ethernet ports work and the reset button does nothing to get the device into recovery mode.

So yeah, I'm saying Fuhry's how-to needs some big caveats.

I'll see if I want this device bad enough to connect a serial port to it,

Chris

I have wnr2000v1 doing somthing wrong when flash it to stock firmware and it always rebooting
i can send to router file by tftp like WNR2000-V1.2.3.7.img it instals but always go to reboot can any one help hou to debrick it

(Last edited by shadmg on 9 Oct 2016, 18:04)

I have a WNR2000V1 and am contemplating putting OpenWRT on it.  I have been using DD-WRT on most of my routers from some years but the Netgear WNR2000V1 is not supported by DD-WRT.   

If I do upgrade the firmware to OpenWRT I would like to use the router on wi-fi for a Client-Bridge or Repeater-Bridge and cannot seem to find out if the OpenWRT firmware supports those operating modes. 

Does OpenWRT support Repeater-Bridge or Client-Bridge modes for wi-fi? 

Jack

Wow!  Instead of a simple yes or no I get to watch over 80 minutes of videos and am still not sure that I am sure of the answer. 

But thanks! 

And I've studied this thread from end to end and am still trying to figure out how to flash OpenWRT to a WNR2000V1 router. 

I have been a Mint Linux user for about a year now and am still  learning, but the instructions in this thread and the Unlocking the Netgear Telnet Console page are still kicking my butt!  But I'll press on  because I have the router and the time to mess with this. 

I have been flashing DD-WRT to routers from a browser interface for some time but flashing OpenWRT to this router is definitely a more complicated process.   

Getting the telnet thing going under Mint Linux is still where I am floundering around on the Unlocking the Netgear Telnet Console page. 

But I have not given up yet...

Jack

yes

I have the wnr2000v3 and wnr2000v4 the v3 I updated to OpenWRT through the web interface but the v4 i had to unlock the telnet it was a lot harder.The only builds for the v1 are the TRUNK builds and the trunk builds does not come with the LUCI but you can do a OPKG update and in stall it.I used this to unlock the telnet but it is for the newer version but it is almost the same you will need the older telnet unlocker the rest should be the same except for user name and password.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH7CWTylX5I

if you brick it, it does have a recovery mode.

http://www.linuxmediaserver.net/linux-b … ed-router/

(Last edited by ckm on 17 Oct 2016, 11:17)

The only builds for the v1 are the TRUNK builds and the trunk builds does not come with the LUCI but you can do a OPKG update and in stall it.

OK, that sounds like what I need to do. 

I am now focused on getting the OPKG package manager installed. 

Jack

I have studied the OPKG Package Manager page and also googled for it and looked about 10-15 other places and I cannot figure out how to get the OPKG utility installed into my Mint 18 system. 

Neither the Software Manager or the Synaptic Software Manager seem to be able to find OPKG.

Guys what is the default user and password for ssh? I have only ssh access.....

Hey Jackerbes the OPKG package manager is compiled in the OPENWRT firmware.
Telnet in to the router at prompt type     passwd      enter.
Now switch  over to SSH it will be root and the  password you just gave it.
thin  be shore your wan is pluged to the NET.
at the prompt type
opkg update         thin enter  thin
opkg install luci     enter again thats it.

hey evilcorp their no default password, you are the one to give it one if someone gave it one and you don't know what it is thin OPENWRT has a fail safe mode put it in fail safe reset it it will reboot by itself if you don't have luci telnet into it give it one.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe

I can ping the router at 192.168.1.1 and log into it with a browser as
user: admin
password:  admin

From a terminal in Mint Linux, with or without sudo, I get this:

/home $ telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

If I try to ssh into the router this happens: 

/home $ ssh 192.168.1.1
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: Connection refused

I don't see where I am getting any opportunity to enter a password...   

Jack

Get you a copy of putty and use that to telnet into the router it will look like this

sh$ telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
=== IMPORTANT ============================
Use 'passwd' to set your login password
this will disable telnet and enable SSH
------------------------------------------

BusyBox v1.15.3 (2011-07-07 02:30:22 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
Backfire (10.03.1-RC5, r27608) --------------------------
  * 1/3 shot Kahlua    In a shot glass, layer Kahlua
  * 1/3 shot Bailey's  on the bottom, then Bailey's,
  * 1/3 shot Vodka     then Vodka.
---------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:/#

jackerbes wrote:

I can ping the router at 192.168.1.1 and log into it with a browser as
user: admin
password:  admin

From a terminal in Mint Linux, with or without sudo, I get this:

/home $ telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connection closed by foreign host.

If I try to ssh into the router this happens: 

/home $ ssh 192.168.1.1
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: Connection refused

I don't see where I am getting any opportunity to enter a password...   

Jack

Do you have a interface does it say LUCI at the top left before the login screen pops up.?
All trunk builds i seen does not have a luci unless its a custom build.

Do you have a interface does it say LUCI at the top left before the login screen pops up.?

I am issuing those telnet and ssh commands from a Terminal window on the desktop in Mint Linux, that is like a command prompt window in windows.   I have a browser running in the background and can access the router's firmware GUI with the  browser at 192.168.1.1 using admin for a username and password.   

I am only getting those connection refused and connection closed replies when I try to use telnet or ssh from the terminal. 

Jack

(Last edited by jackerbes on 17 Oct 2016, 22:13)

GKM wrote: 

Get you a copy of putty and use that to telnet into the router it will look like this...

Wow!  I got lucky on this one!  I googled putty and found a page for a ubuntu install of putty and banged it right into place!  I have the Synaptic Package Manager in Mint and that really works nicely.   

Almost anything that works with ubuntu will work with mint too... 

And this version of putty even comes with a GUI that you can use to set up a session and start it from! 

So now I am off to play with putty for a while.

Jack

jackerbes wrote:

I am issuing those telnet and ssh commands from a Terminal window on the desktop in Mint Linux, that is like a command prompt window in windows.   I have a browser running in the background and can access the router's firmware GUI with the  browser at 192.168.1.1 using admin for a username and password.   

I am only getting those connection refused and connection closed replies when I try to use telnet or ssh from the terminal. 

Jack

OK thin you got LUCI if you can access the router's firmware GUI with the  browser at 192.168.1.1 using admin for a username and password.   Where did you get this build from is it a trunk build.

go to system/administration you can give it a password their go one tab over to software and look for      luci-proto-relay
if you have that you got a custom build if you do thin you can config it to client bridge or  repeater.

ckm wrote:

OK thin you got LUCI if you can access the router's firmware GUI with the  browser at 192.168.1.1 using admin for a username and password.   Where did you get this build from is it a trunk build.

go to system/administration you can give it a password their go one tab over to software and look for      luci-proto-relay
if you have that you got a custom build if you do thin you can config it to client bridge or  repeater.

I have not gotten a build yet nor has anything been flashed to the router yet.

When I log onto the router with a browser at 192.168.1.1 I am seeing the factory installed Netgear Smart Wizard page, there is no system/administration choice there. 

My problem is basically that I have been unable to establish communications with the router using ssh, telnet, or putty.  I played with putty for two hours last night and got nothing but connections refused or unauthorized user returns from the router.  And I never saw anything about LUCI or got any prompts for passwords. 

Jack

I now have PuTTY installed on a W7 machine and the router connected there.  The computer is set to a fixed IP  of 192.168.1.7 and will ping the WNR2000V1 from a command prompt.

When I run PuTTY there are many settings in the configuration window, I am entering  the IP address and taking all the other defaults there.  When the PuTTY window opens I get a Connection refused error and that is it.

If I put the router password in the config (admin) I get the error Network error: Connection Refused.

Jack

(Last edited by jackerbes on 18 Oct 2016, 14:20)

Interestingly enough, I have a WRT54G2 router with DD-WRT on it and I can use PuTTY to telnet into that with no problem.  It prompts me for a user name and password and brings up an interface. 

Trying the same thing with the same settings on the Netgear produces only a Network error and/or Connection refused error...

Jack

ok

Well, I finally am talking to my WNR200V1 router on the W7 machine.  If it will help anyone else, I had to do the following for this miracle to transpire :>)   

1 - Enable the telnet and TFTP clients in Windows 7 (not enabled by default)...

2 - Downloaded and installed PuTTY for windows

3 - Followed the instructions on the OpenWRT Unlocking the Netgear Telnet Console for Original TelnetEnable for Windows

4 - Downloaded the Netgear telnetEnable.exe utility

So now I am going follow radengr's post #148 back on page 6 for upgrading the WMR2000V1 router.

I've read all the posts in this thread at least twice and I know that there are some other images (trunk builds and/or generic builds?) that have worked or will work on a V1 but I'll give those some thought later.  I'm looking for a conventional and safe approach here now.

I do have a question first though...

If I understand it right, the snarf command will download the needed files into the /tmp directory and then they will be read as upgrade proceeds. 

I already have the four image files downloaded and wonder if I can't just copy the files into the /tmp directory and not run the snarf commands, just start with the files in place and issue the mtd commands? 

These are the files I will use:

ubootenv-stockpartitions.img
u-boot.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-ap81-rootfs-squashfs.bin mtd2
openwrt-ar71xx-uImage-lzma.bin mtd4

Any suggestions or warnings of impending disaster are appreciated, and thanks for the help and you patience so far...

Jack

Never mind my question about uploading the files to the router instead of using the snarf command. 

I had no idea how difficult that would be for me to do and I found a working source where I can snarf them from.  The u-boot.bin and ubootenv-stockpartitions.img files are still available for download from here: 

http://www.simcop2387.info/wnr2000/

My thanks to simcop2387! 

The earlier links for those files were no longer working, that is what made me think up the dumb idea that it might be a good idea to upload them instead. 

So tomorrow morning we will have a moment of truth on this...

Jack

(Last edited by jackerbes on 20 Oct 2016, 01:53)

Well I guess this is the end of things for me... 

I followed through the steps in the radengr post on flashing the WNR2000V1

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 61#p163661

and when I got to the end and it gave it the reboot command the router powered off (even though the power button was still On), the PuTTY telnet session closed itself and that was the end of the news... 

I gave it some time, 30 minutes or so, and it will not power back up or show any signs of life with resets after power cycling, resets, or 30-30-30 resets. 

So I think this router is dead, not bricked.   I had changed the paths on the snarf commands but otherwise just followed that post.  But if it will not power up it is probably beyond saving, no? 

I think I'm losing interest in Netgear routers...   

Jack