OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-WA901ND v4 suport

The content of this topic has been archived between 24 Feb 2018 and 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

My username is 'mgu'. Could you give me access too?
Thanks

If you register with a valid email...hotmail, gmail, yahoo..etc daily moderation should add your account. If you are still having problems gettin in let me know and I will manually add your accounts

Are these patches being processed upstream?
Is there a pull request, mailing list post, or some other formal submission of the patches, beyond this forum thread?

please can you give me access to your files. I have no permission in firewrt after creating an account with valid email. My account name is cdek
thanks in advance.

Would you please grant the permission to download the firmware files?

My user id is 'djpark'.

Thanks.

stsp_ wrote:

Is there a pull request, mailing list post, or some other formal submission of the patches, beyond this forum thread?

Patch upstream can be grabbed here and this is the commit in trunk. Since there is support in trunk, that also means the OpenWrt trunk snapshots will have the right firmware images available.

If trunk builds are what you need, then just grab the one official OpenWrt builds, they don't include LuCI, but if you don't know how to install LuCI, then you shouldn't be running trunk either.

If there is interest I can run a build for 15.05.1 so people can grab that without needing to register somewhere. That should not be needed.

(Last edited by Borromini on 12 Apr 2016, 17:26)

Borromini wrote:
stsp_ wrote:

Patch upstream can be grabbed here and this is the commit in trunk. Since there is support in trunk, that also means the OpenWrt trunk snapshots will have the right firmware images available.

If trunk builds are what you need, then just grab the one official OpenWrt builds, they don't include LuCI, but if you don't know how to install LuCI, then you shouldn't be running trunk either.

If there is interest I can run a build for 15.05.1 so people can grab that without needing to register somewhere. That should not be needed.

Please add the upstream patch for CC 15.05.1 so those who do not wish to use snapshot can enjoy too ... I simply do not have time right now

Hostle

djpark wrote:

Would you please grant the permission to download the firmware files?

My user id is 'djpark'.

Thanks.

You should be all set ..

Hostle, I have backported your patch to 15.05.1, but I'd like confirmatioin the image works allright before sending it to the OpenWrt devs.

So I have built 15.05.1 images which can be downloaded here. If the site does not resolve, please try with different DNS settings like Google's DNS or OpenDNS.

If someone can confirm the images work OK, so I can upstream the backported patch? Thanks.

Borromini wrote:

Hostle, I have backported your patch to 15.05.1, but I'd like confirmatioin the image works allright before sending it to the OpenWrt devs.

So I have built 15.05.1 images which can be downloaded here. If the site does not resolve, please try with different DNS settings like Google's DNS or OpenDNS.

If someone can confirm the images work OK, so I can upstream the backported patch? Thanks.

I don't have the TL-WA901N-V4 with me at school but if you used my patch for 15.05 from post #5 of the first page of this thread I can can confirm it works great. Other members have reported the same results ..

I am wondering if I missed something. Every factory firmware I try to upload using the stock GUI gets the following error.

Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name.

My current firmware is TP-Link stock;

Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 160304 Rel.36585n
Hardware Version: WA901ND v4 00000000

I would appreciate any advice.

DJ

hostle19 wrote:
Borromini wrote:

I don't have the TL-WA901N-V4 with me at school but if you used my patch for 15.05 from post #5 of the first page of this thread I can can confirm it works great. Other members have reported the same results ..

Boy, if only I had seen before you had posted your 15.05 patch as well... I pulled your trunk patch from Patchwork and backported that one to 15.05.1 hmm

I compared my backport against your 15.05 patch, by now some extra changes had already been implemented in the 15.05 tree. I have submitted my patch here, in case anyone wants to build 15.05.1 themselves. Thanks for your hard work smile.

(Last edited by Borromini on 14 Apr 2016, 21:29)

Borromini wrote:
hostle19 wrote:
Borromini wrote:

Boy, if only I had seen before you had posted your 15.05 patch as well... I pulled your trunk patch from Patchwork and backported that one to 15.05.1 :/

I compared my backport against your 15.05 patch, by now some extra changes had already been implemented in the 15.05 tree. I have submitted my patch here, in case anyone wants to build 15.05.1 themselves. Thanks for your hard work :).

I have the TL-WA901ND v4. Could you provide me with simple instructions for getting *-wrt running on this device ? I'm quite terrified of bricking it :-P

(Last edited by satanclaus on 18 Apr 2016, 19:04)

hostle19 wrote:

If you register with a valid email...hotmail, gmail, yahoo..etc daily moderation should add your account. If you are still having problems gettin in let me know and I will manually add your accounts

I tried to register my account CPY but i got banned for no reason just by trying to register. I think your site is broken.

Cpy: you can pull official snapshots (trunk) from the OpenWrt download page, if you want 15.05.1, then I have a freely downloadable build available, see a few posts back. No registration needed.

satanclaus wrote:
Borromini wrote:
hostle19 wrote:

Boy, if only I had seen before you had posted your 15.05 patch as well... I pulled your trunk patch from Patchwork and backported that one to 15.05.1 hmm

I compared my backport against your 15.05 patch, by now some extra changes had already been implemented in the 15.05 tree. I have submitted my patch here, in case anyone wants to build 15.05.1 themselves. Thanks for your hard work smile.

I have the TL-WA901ND v4. Could you provide me with simple instructions for getting *-wrt running on this device ? I'm quite terrified of bricking it :-P

Rename the binary to something similar to TP-Link's own firmwares, flash from the TP-Link web UI. That should pretty much do it.

(Last edited by Borromini on 21 Apr 2016, 21:24)

Borromini wrote:

Cpy: you can pull official snapshots (trunk) from the OpenWrt download page, if you want 15.05.1, then I have a freely downloadable build available, see a few posts back. No registration needed.

satanclaus wrote:
Borromini wrote:

Rename the binary to something similar to TP-Link's own firmwares, flash from the TP-Link web UI. That should pretty much do it.

I'm afraid your image is broken. /lib/ar71xx.sh misses a closing quote on line 771.

*"TL-WA901ND v3")
                name="tl-wa901nd-v3"
                ;;
        *"TL-WA901ND v4")
                name="tl-wa901nd-v4
                ;;

It's softbricked at the moment. I have serial console access. I'll try to unbrick it at home later tonight.

My apologies, will run a new build. I caught that in the patch but clearly not in the build...

Edit: new build has been uploaded.

(Last edited by Borromini on 22 Apr 2016, 14:56)

Borromini wrote:

My apologies, will run a new build. I caught that in the patch but clearly not in the build...

Edit: new build has been uploaded.

I can confirm this build works.

djpark wrote:

I am wondering if I missed something. Every factory firmware I try to upload using the stock GUI gets the following error.

Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name.

My current firmware is TP-Link stock;

Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 160304 Rel.36585n
Hardware Version: WA901ND v4 00000000

I would appreciate any advice.

DJ

Use tftp and recover mode to get the .bin in place.

• Install tftp (tftpd32)

• Set your IP-address to 192.168.0.66

• Rename the factory bin file "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v4-squashfs-factory.bin" to "wa901ndv4_tp_recovery.bin" and place it so that tftp can pick it up (same folder as tftp works)

• Start tftp

• Hold reset for a couple of seconds while turning on the accesspoint

• Check status of the download (tftp - log viewer). You should see a fetch of the bin file

• If successful the accesspoint reboots and is accessible on 192.168.1.1 after a minute or so

Worked for me from same stock firmware version you got.

I've done successful flash with Borromini build. Thank you for making it available.

Got a questions here.

• Is it possible to cram in snmp support into this build?

Brgs,

iorx wrote:

• Install tftp (tftpd32)

• Rename the factory bin file "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa901nd-v4-squashfs-factory.bin" to "wa901ndv4_tp_recovery.bin" and place it so that tftp can pick it up (same folder as tftp works)

• Start tftp

• Check status of the download (tftp - log viewer). You should see a fetch of the bin file

• If successful the accesspoint reboots and is accessible on 192.168.1.1 after a minute or so

Thank you so much. I was about to open the case to solder the serial port. Your advice saved the day.

DJ

djpark wrote:
iorx wrote:

• Install tftp (tftpd32)

• Start tftp

Thank you so much. I was about to open the case to solder the serial port. Your advice saved the day.

DJ

I am trying to flash one of these too, but I am not quite sure of what I'm doing when it comes to tftp. I'm following the generic flashing instructions and I have a few questions:
1. Does this device have a tftp server in it? In other words I want to confirm if I should follow the "Bootloader contains TFTP client" procedure or the "Bootloader contains TFTP server" procedure.
2. From your pc/laptop did you use the 192.168.0.66 address for `setenv ipaddr` or `setenv serverip` ?