OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Near to brick  ..

What I did until now:
First I uploaded Wingspinner's HooToo-Tripmate-HT-TM02-OpenWRT. Worked all well. 87% free  memory for packages.
Then I tried to add the USB-Audio package, but the trunk version did not fit Wingspinner's kernel version and I could not find packages with audio for his kernel version. So I updated the system with the standard openwrt-15.05-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Now I could add the kmod-usb-audio; after reboot I got the kernel log message that the file system was set to ReadOnly.
Ok, I flashed the standard openwrt-15.05-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02.initramfs-uImage....bin ( not sysupgrade) with unchecked "Keep Settings". Result: everything was running again, filesystem was ok, but no space for packages left (0%)
Grmbl .. finally I  flashed the current trunk sysupgrade with unchecked "keep settings". Since then I can ping the device and have access via PUTTY, but LuCi doesn't come up.
Now I'm afraid to brick the device if I do the wrong steps .. anyone who can tell me exactly how to continue? (I'm no Linux guy, but I can handle command lines and even the stone-aged vi editor) Best seems to me an downgrade to older 14.7, because that seems to need less space.

TIA,
Joachim

(Last edited by joschl on 28 Nov 2015, 11:07)

Hi,
I have just found this thread and the instructions to change the firmware on my Hootoo.
First of all, thank you for this.

I have some questions though, and I was not able to find them on the text or on the github page (by the way, the github readme looks old and recommend to install a different version than the one on this post).

So far I use the hootoo for extend my local network and when I am traveling to create a wifi to share  data with other devices, (android, ios, etc) using the usb host.
I am sure this is ok with the new firmware, but, Is there any functionality provided by the original firmware that is lost on this process?

Thank you very much

EDIT...
After reading 240 posts (not more today) I can see now that there are a lot of  features that can be achieved with the openwrt software, so I will try to upgrade on the weekend.
Wish me luck, it is my first openwrt router...

(Last edited by darkpollo on 1 Dec 2015, 21:44)

Hello, I wanted to add that I have the TripMate version of the HT-TM-01. it basically has a 6000Ma battery on it.

HootooHT-MT01

I have just loaded OpenWRT on it with your instructions and it works perfect, much more functional than stock.

I am not a router expert and I have 1 basic question,
I have 2 different usecases for this router - 1. I want to bridge the wifi and the Ethernet port on the same lan.
It did this by default.
2. I need it to sometime function as a traditional router, with a Statis address on the Ethernet port and serving DHCP addresses on the wifi, which is masqueraded to the Ethernet port.

I have set up the interfaces, Wifi and firewall to accomplish #2

My question is, Is there a easy way I can switch between these 2 configurations?
Can a shell script do this and can the button on the router initiate the script?

(Last edited by F4u5t on 5 Dec 2015, 15:54)

Button functionality is not documented https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hootoo/tripmate-nano
You would have to read the entire thread to see what has been done with this, so that's the limit to making a script work with the button. Unfortunately it seems like the original technical knowledge is no longer following the thread.

You can use a script from a prompt, or just use WinSCP and copy over a the config folder. (advantage files on router)
You can create 2 backups and use the GUI to swap them (probably best if you have USB config and a USB drive)

Just remember to backup your changes to the "gold" copies, which is easier to do from the GUI.

If you do write a script, please post it here and the wiki.  If you reread the post for button status or sort the buttons please do the same.  The TM-02 has a switch and reset.  The TM01 power and reset. 

I would suggest you store the backups under etc\config as these will then get backup when you do a backup.  Not sure about elsewhere, though I think you can set the backup scope.

Hi !
I have a TM01 as well (as 2 posts above) and while fiddling with the settings i managed to lock myself out.
How do i reset OpenWRT to factory ?
Can i do it somehow usung the reset button (tried some variants of course) or do i have to use UART ?
(If so is there any hint what to do after i got a working shell prompt ?!)

Greetings,

Ender

Hi again !
Well, i MAY was able to get it to failsafe mode like described here:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/de/doc/howto/generic.failsafe
(I presed the reset bitton several times when there was a 2/sec blink code while booting and then i got a fast blinking pattern).

So i thought i have won but when i followed the instructions to set 192.168.1.2 and telnet 192.168.1.1 no telnet or ping was possible.
Any help ?

Ender

(Last edited by enderffx on 10 Dec 2015, 23:05)

Ahhh TFTP ! THANK you, will try & report back !!!

Ender

Hi !
Now i got time and it WORKED, was able to recover the TM01 !
Thanks again !

Ender

Can someone help me restore the TM02 to the original firmware? My device currently is in a state where I hold the reset button and connect power, looks for 10.10.10.3 TFTP server. Am not sure what is the exact bin file that I should be having in the TFTP server path. I don't have the serial cable and have no idea how to manage it as well.

Hi !
The Kernal.bin is somehow hard (i am not a linux wizard) to extract it but i managed and got my tm02 back to life.
I cannot send a forum message so you would have to post a working email then i can send it to you.
You could edit / delete the posting after i sent the file to eliminate security / spam concerns.

One hint:
I used tftpd32 and it did NOT answer that request so i was angry about that tftp client.
Turned out (like always) that i was beeing stupid. When first starting the tftp server Windows 10 asked me if it should allow connections on private & public networks and i only checked private. But the Ethernet interface on 10.10.10.3 was marked as public so THAT was the reason why the server did not seem to work.
MY FAULT.

So give me an email and i send you the "Kernal.bin" (dont rename, this is how it should be named).

Greetings,
Ender

P.S. the file is about 4 MByte !

P.P.S. if you want to do it for yourself the exact method is mentioned LATER in the above mentioned link from mmdonuts, its post #317 ! That worked flawless

(Last edited by enderffx on 12 Jan 2016, 10:24)

Oh damn, i misundestood, you want STOCK Firmware, right ? I dont know about that, so sorry for posting BS. I leave it there if someone else needs to reset OpenWRT.

Ender

prasadasokan wrote:

Can someone help me restore the TM02 to the original firmware? My device currently is in a state where I hold the reset button and connect power, looks for 10.10.10.3 TFTP server. Am not sure what is the exact bin file that I should be having in the TFTP server path. I don't have the serial cable and have no idea how to manage it as well.

Once you get the OpenWRT bootloader on the router you can't go back to factory without using a serial console or a flash programmer. The factory kernel does not work with the OpenWRT bootloader.

Here's what little I've learned for using the slider switch. The file /sys/kernel/debug/gpio contains:

GPIOs 0-21, platform/10000600.gpio, 10000600.gpio:
 gpio-7   (ht-tm02:blue:wlan   ) out lo
 gpio-10  (reset               ) in  hi
 gpio-12  (ht-tm02:green:lan   ) out lo
 gpio-14  (modeswitch          ) in  hi

when the switch is set to "the antennae" modeswitch reads hi, otherwise lo.  I use a shell script something like:

SYS_GPIO="/sys/kernel/debug/gpio"
grep -q 'modeswitch.*lo' $SYS_GPIO && mode="globe" || mode="antennae"

When the switch is changed, scripts in /etc/hotplug.d/button are called.  I named mine /etc/hotplug.d/button/10-mode.  The environment variable BUTTON is set to BTN_0, and the variable ACTION is set to "pressed" or "released".  I believe button scripts are also called for the reset button, so it could be important to check which button has changed.  I did not use, the ACTION value, but instead always find the state from the gpio file (since a button event is not sent for the initial power-on position).

Caveats - I suspect there's a better interface to read the gpio status.  The /sys/kernel/debug file system might not always be mounted. The hotplug.d directory predates procd, and it may be remodeled after the Chaos Calmer release.

mmmdonuts wrote:
prasadasokan wrote:

Once you get the OpenWRT bootloader on the router you can't go back to factory without using a serial console or a flash programmer. The factory kernel does not work with the OpenWRT bootloader.

Can you help me with the commands to be followed to flash the boot loader using the ash command or something that was mentioned in one of the post earlier? Don't want to buy a serial cable as I have never gonna use it again.

prasadasokan wrote:

Can you help me with the commands to be followed to flash the boot loader using the ash command or something that was mentioned in one of the post earlier? Don't want to buy a serial cable as I have never gonna use it again.

The bootloader partition is write protected in a shell session.  Mtd commands could not write to the partition.  The only thing that worked for me was using the bootloader menu from a serial console and others used flash programmers.

mmmdonuts wrote:
prasadasokan wrote:

The bootloader partition is write protected in a shell session.  Mtd commands could not write to the partition.  The only thing that worked for me was using the bootloader menu from a serial console and others used flash programmers.

I actually flashed it with OpenWRT to make sure my HDD is available as a share in my home wifi and not it's own hotspot. The read and write are better if it is ExFAT. But on NTFS, it's terribly slow. I used ntfs-3G packages. Is there anything I can do about? If that is fixed, I don't need to go back to the original firmware at all.

mmmdonuts wrote:

Thanks a lot for your files on converting back to stock.having difficulty connecting the serial console to the board. Could I get a picture of your serial console connected to the board?  I want to make sure I get the colors connected correctly.
Thanks a lot

sleopantro wrote:
mmmdonuts wrote:

Thanks a lot for your files on converting back to stock.having difficulty connecting the serial console to the board. Could I get a picture of your serial console connected to the board?  I want to make sure I get the colors connected correctly.
Thanks a lot

Sorry, I don't have a picture.  The cable was temporary and the router is not in use.

is the script indicated in the wiki working "out of the box" with the hootoo?

Cos I can connect to the guest wifi, get the ip , but I can't reach internet!

With the "standard" wifi I can browse the internet without any issue ( mmmh... actually just one small issue: I cannot get any ip without the cable plugged into the hootoo)

thanks for your help

@sleopantro
Here is my HT-TM04 PCB with Serial cable attached.
Black = GND
White = Rx
Red = Tx
Hope it helps.
If you don't get a valid answer from router, swap white and red wires.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2hn6dz9.jpg

I bricked my HT-TM04. I tried to recover it but couldn't open the device. There is no screw on it. Can someone tell me how you open it up?

You should search back in this thread for photos.
Observe the locking points of the case. No screws are used.
To open up your router you could use a credit card. Gentle, be careful not to break the plastic pins.
Once you get first pin loose, the rest are coming easy.
Good luck.

I managed to open the box (with only one pin broken). I found the weak spot is on the two sides of the ethernet port. Push a thin screw driver in and carefully pry the box open along the line.

octav59 wrote:

@sleopantro
Here is my HT-TM04 PCB with Serial cable attached.
Black = GND
White = Rx
Red = Tx
Hope it helps.
If you don't get a valid answer from router, swap white and red wires.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2hn6dz9.jpg

Thanks so much, really appreciate the picture