OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Router Recommenation

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

What's a good recommended router for general purposes up to about 70$ that can run Openwrt?

I'd personally recommend TP Link Archer C7v2 (bought it for $60 from newegg about a year ago), however I hear that the more recent shipments of them are no longer 3rd party firmware friendly. If I was buying another one of these I'd research that.

stangri wrote:

I'd personally recommend TP Link Archer C7v2 (bought it for $60 from newegg about a year ago), however I hear that the more recent shipments of them are no longer 3rd party firmware friendly. If I was buying another one of these I'd research that.

Strange question but any reason (i don't see one based on hardware) that this is better than the Xiaomi MiWiFi Mini which is sold at half the price?

RangerZ wrote:

Narrow down your choices here
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
All the details
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_ … _supported
Use the header row to sort or filter

Thanks but there are no prices there and it's hard to choose from so many... all i wanted is a human recommendation smile

You can't get a usefull recommendation without any input.
You certainly have more requirements than "$70". If you don't: Go to amazon, get the next best one that fits in your budget.

tmo26 wrote:

You can't get a usefull recommendation without any input.
You certainly have more requirements than "$70". If you don't: Go to amazon, get the next best one that fits in your budget.

A tip for checking Amazon: go to the Amazon site, and search for OpenWrt. This turns up a bunch of routers that mention OpenWrt in the comments...

Droger wrote:
stangri wrote:

Strange question but any reason (i don't see one based on hardware) that this is better than the Xiaomi MiWiFi Mini which is sold at half the price?

Yes for me there're 3 big reasons and 2 nice-to-haves.

stangri wrote:
Droger wrote:
stangri wrote:

Yes for me there're 3 big reasons and 2 nice-to-haves.

Can you please state the reasons? apart from the obvious ones:
Bad English support
Low number of connections
Limited to 100mbps.

3 extra LAN ports and 2 USB ports.

Droger wrote:
stangri wrote:

You'd don't see a reason to favor the C7 based on hardware? How about:
Faster CPU
3-stream vs 2-stream
More Ethernet Ports
Gigigabit vs 100MBit Ethernet.
Simpler Install

Not meaning to hijack this topic...
But any recommendations?
2.4&5GHZ wifi
5x gbit LAN
wifi + guest wifi
l2tp/ipsec (or OpenVPN) VPN server for remote users compatible.
NAS via its USB 3.0 would be nice too.

Looking for 1 for home and one in the office. We have an Archer C7 V1.0. But OpenWRT won't do the 5ghz as i understand it.

TIA,
Niels

lampje74 wrote:

But any recommendations?
2.4&5GHZ wifi
5x gbit LAN
wifi + guest wifi

Looking for 1 for home and one in the office. We have an Archer C7 V1.0. But OpenWRT won't do the 5ghz as i understand it.

TIA,
Niels

How about the Turris Omnia?

Seen that one today, before your post... funny how that works... but at $229 or so a but much for my taste... something cheaper perhaps?

lampje74 wrote:

Seen that one today, before your post... funny how that works... but at $229 or so a but much for my taste... something cheaper perhaps?

With your 5 LAN ports requirement you won't find many other options (if any). Besides, you know the old [good / fast / cheap]; pick two options?

lampje74 wrote:

But any recommendations?
2.4&5GHZ wifi
5x gbit LAN
wifi + guest wifi

TIA,
Niels

You kinda did smile

Anyway back to the original question, looking for a decent router up to 60$ or so (since i'm also adding 20-30 for the shipment).
must be more than a 100mb...
more than 3 ports is nice to have but not a must same for Ipv6 i guess.

What i found on the Amazon recommended section was TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2, any other suggestions?

Thats the one i was going to suggest WR1043ND v2.X If you want to go to the 5 ghz WDR 4300 works great with openwrt ,DDWRT has got a big problem with the WDR4300.The WR1043ND v1.x works good with BB excepted the v1.8 are NO GOOD.I like the Linksys WRT300N if want something cheaper D-LINK DIR 615  v.C1 or v.E3/E4.

ckm wrote:

Thats the one i was going to suggest WR1043ND v2.X If you want to go to the 5 ghz WDR 4300 works great with openwrt ,DDWRT has got a big problem with the WDR4300.The WR1043ND v1.x works good with BB excepted the v1.8 are NO GOOD.I like the Linksys WRT300N if want something cheaper D-LINK DIR 615  v.C1 or v.E3/E4.

Thanks!

I guess i'm sticking with TP on this one and if i want GIGABIT + 64mb ram or more under 60-70$ i'm left with:
TL-WR1043ND
TL-WDR4300

I'm not sure where to get WR1043ND v2 as Amazon is already v3...
WDR4300 looks very very good but expensive sad

(Last edited by Droger on 22 Jan 2016, 11:01)

The discussion might have continued from here.