OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: netgear DG834 adam2 config

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

Does anyone have a copy of the netgear DG834 adam2 enviroment variables? The router here mnaged to brick itself, the mesage on the UART is:

ADAM2 Revision 0.18.01
(C) Copyright 1996-2003 Texas Instruments Inc. All Rights Reserved.
(C) Copyright 2003 Telogy Networks, Inc.
Usage: setmfreq [-d] [-s sys_freq, in MHz] [cpu_freq, in MHz]
Memory optimization Complete!
Download.
Copying download from b0017000 to b4020000

And then it goes into failsafe mode. Now in failsafe mode, I can upload the flash via ethernet. But with duff adam2 variables doesn't help escape from the above.

Now in failsafe mode I should be able to upload both the OS, but also the adam2 env variables which are in flash at:

0x903e0000,0x903f0000

But only question, os what should I load into that area of flash. So does anyone have a copy of that part of flash?

If no solution, might as well try flashing uboot - but that is a one time choice, e.g. can only do it by overwriting adam2, and that will loose me the fail safe mode ...

Ah - this is going to be harder than I thought.

Managed to find a pspboot image on the net, and as that would fit in the 128KiB allocated to Adam2 decided to flash that.

Alas Adam2 failsafe mode refuses to update the boot loader. Its strange, the images from netgear seem to have the boot loader on the front, but whatever I upload looks like the bootloader isn't changed.

Sigh, means only way in is JTAG, and alas I don't have a cable (or knowledge) for that. I guess a cable like this is the one to go for:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen … _CABLE.pdf

Should be good enough to jtag many boards.

Does make me wonder what to do with this DG834 machine. if I'm going to JTAG the flash, then I might as well try and adapt u-boot to work on it. AT least then I'd have a modern boot loader rather than these ancient ADAM2 and PSPBOOT ....

ftdi cable bought - won't be able to use it till I get the header mounted on the PCB, so that will probably be next week.

Just a thought as to why flashing the pspboot - does anyone know if adam2 does a checksum on the image flashed? E.g. the image I created, by stripping off first 128kB (adam2), and adding 64kB (pspboot) + 64kB (blank), failed to have a correct check sum and so wasn't flashed? Any ideas?

ANyway will keep going the jtag route ...

(Last edited by djsummers on 30 Dec 2015, 11:18)

The discussion might have continued from here.