1 (edited by encynator 2015-11-12 22:39:52)

Topic: Turris (most powerfull router for openwrt) funding just started!

Check it out!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/turr … 208#/story

2 (edited by stangri 2015-11-14 00:35:49)

Re: Turris (most powerfull router for openwrt) funding just started!

Little RAM, little Flash.
Shouldn't be posting when I can't see the difference between M and G. wink

1GB of ram is not bad. and it has space for an M2 SSD.

Very very expensive

@stangri
@alphasparc

Are you guys looking at the right page?? 1GB of RAM and 4GB flash is 10 times what common home routers has and at a price of 189 USD it's a lot cheaper than for example the WRT1900 or R8000 in my country. Looks pretty bad ass, and open source is a huge plus.

what i like are the mini-PCI slots. you can add all kinds of goodies into those slots. from new wifi-modules in the future, to extra (e.g. 10gbit) nics, to even video and audio cards (i think).

Bad thing is that i've just bought a WRT1900AC, so I have little need for a new router.

7 (edited by alphasparc 2015-11-13 15:39:36)

arokh wrote:

@stangri
@alphasparc

Are you guys looking at the right page?? 1GB of RAM and 4GB flash is 10 times what common home routers has and at a price of 189 USD it's a lot cheaper than for example the WRT1900 or R8000 in my country. Looks pretty bad ass, and open source is a huge plus.

Don't need so much RAM and Flash
I do like the PCI-E and the SFP though

Nice! smile

Electronic engineer, Asterisk Voip and Linux Senior System Administrator.
Speak: fluent English, French and Italian (mother tongue).
Looking for a new job, anywere in the world ;)

Just wanted to say I'm happy to see we've finally reached a point where devices are being built from the ground up (ish) based on OpenWRT and designed to meet the needs that people around here have always expressed. Hacking custom firmware onto big name routers brings more value to them, certainly, but rarely do we end up with full support and a complete feature set.

Really hope this project succeeds and ends up becoming a long term sustained product line. If this device is too beefy for your needs might want to check out the WiTi board, similar concept but hardware is a little less than this (and so is price point). Two different beasts for two different usage cases, but man it's exciting to even be able to say there are at least two REAL made for OpenWRT options!

arokh wrote:

@stangri
@alphasparc

Clearly I wasn't. wink

If this is manufactured in China, I will expect to see more inexpensive clones of this on AliExpress sooner or later. As for me US $100+ router is beyond my budget.

BTW, I watched the video and all I can tell is it is a BIG supped up video. It claimed they only had a prototype unit, i.e. still under development? However, towards the end of the video, it shows the IPACSO glass award trophy. If the product is still under their development, how could it achieved such an award?

Mazi

mazilo wrote:

However, towards the end of the video, it shows the IPACSO glass award trophy. If the product is still under their development, how could it achieved such an award?

They had apparently the first Turris device for the security research project, and Omnia is now the a bit more polished version. Quote from the award list:
http://ipacso.eu/introducing-ipacso-inn … pions.html

Winner in the category: Innovative Cyber Security or Privacy Research
The TURRIS project represents a whole security environment composed from a secure by design router and a TURRIS central with cyber threat analysis, the Czech national CSIRT in the background and an up-to-date security fix on-line distribution. Each user of the service obtains a TURRIS router, which can, besides serving as a normal home router, also analyse the traffic between Internet and the home network, and identify suspicious data flows. Similarly to a watchtower, it then alerts the TURRIS central of a possible attack. At the system headquarters, it is then possible to compare data from many connected TURRIS routers and asses the security status of detected traffic. End user home networks. Unique approach on detecting and managing cyber threats at home new appliance part of core routing environment of home network. The jury praised CZ.NIC for its unique approach to protect Home Networks

They are not a typical startup, but the national top-level domain admin organisation in Czech (and also the national Computer Security Incident Response Team). This router thing seems to be a side product of a network security enhancement & analysis initiative.

Are there any more details about the hardware around? Reviews?

14 (edited by hnyman 2015-11-14 17:31:47)

arokh wrote:

I looked at their websites and there is quite a lot materials and explanations. They have more detailed explanations at the home page https://omnia.turris.cz/en/ than at the crowdfunding site.

But so far I have not seen any real reviews, which is no wonder, as the new device is just at the prototype stage.

15 (edited by makarel 2015-11-14 18:31:30)

+mPCIe and many
-very expensive.. no more then 50$ my price target

ps: get real 4Gb flash and 1Gb ram are nickels in china; from redundancy point of view all i need is 4(8 for fun)MB nor(again nickels) which anyone can hack(SPI interface) with extroot; again redundancy speaking why do i need sata when USB has broader usage??

tip: would be the shiznit( big_smile ) if it would have mPCIe radio cards.. as those can be exchanged with some that work.. regarding wrt1900 maze of wifi troubles

cheers

1043nd-1.8 / AA12.09-rc2 / buntu / xp

Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night! Truman Show

16 (edited by trismo 2015-11-14 18:34:59)

USB on this marvell chip use CPU power sata port is HW accelerated.

for Wlan AC there not a single chip full open i think this dont change in the next 5+ years ^^

17 (edited by makarel 2015-11-14 19:09:34)

trismo wrote:

USB on this marvell chip use CPU power sata port is HW accelerated.

i think they both cap the cpu..
considering wrt1900ac specs...
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2244167
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless … ew?start=3

it tops USB=30MB/s
sata/usb3 goes to ~70MB/s

Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night! Truman Show

hnyman wrote:
arokh wrote:

I looked at their websites and there is quite a lot materials and explanations. They have more detailed explanations at the home page https://omnia.turris.cz/en/ than at the crowdfunding site.

But so far I have not seen any real reviews, which is no wonder, as the new device is just at the prototype stage.

It is commercial successor of original Turris router (https://www.turris.cz/en/ - here there are alos more information about original research) it is the blue one on the page.
They learned from it and because there was huge demand (I wanted blue one too, but I was not selected sad) they decided to build one which they can sell.
Personally for me, most interesting part is that it can run OpenWRT and it is capable to perform NAT on 300mbps line, maybe even more. And also because those guys are from my country smile

Is this available in Canada? If so what price?

Remember, in today’s world you are NOT the customer. You are the product being sold!

The developers recently gave a talk at the OpenWrt summit.  The Omnia gets a mention starting at 25:23 in.

funded smile

there's still room for improvement, though... serial console only accessible from inside (but they insured me, the top cover can be lifted easily)

btw, there's an english forum now over at their site (for all who want to get in touch)... https://www.turris.cz/forum/

They got some benchmark results .... seems promising!

Over the Christmas holidays we made some tests and the results are: Turris Omnia is able to route 975 Mbps (even with NAT). If you prefer more technical info, it can handle up to 450 000 packets per second. We also measured VPN throughput. With Turris Omnia, acting as an OpenVPN server with recommended configuration with one client connected, we measured 100 Mbps in one direction. We expect this number to be a bit better in the future as we have still the crypto acceleration turned off.

This is getting to critical mass as the uptick in backers increases rapidly, the milestones get passed and the time to deadline ticks down. Becomes intriguing, onto this band-wagon jumping I may be.

Free OpenWrt Advances Democracy
Myth, the stuff legends are made of

so guys... last chance to get a really performant router for productions costs... campaign ends in <24 hours

nortii wrote:

so guys... last chance to get a really performant router for productions costs... campaign ends in <24 hours

very interested make me an offer for 30 buks or less ill buy it