OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Just backup the current configuration, and then download and flash RC3. Lastly import the backup configuration.

I recommend uncheck "keep settings" when flashing back to RC3.

By the way... RC2 was very similar to CC final in one way. Where I saw similarities was with the CPU interrupts (affinity) - RC2 and Final are very heavy on the Interrupts with CPU0. This is in stark contrast to RC3 which is much more balanced between core0 and 1. Since the lock-ups are caused by CPU spinocks it seems logical that affinity plays a part in the problem. Some people are having success with CC Final by separating the interrupts for Wifi, thus interrupting both CPU's, and helping to avoid spinlocks.

I've read arguments on both sides of the issue.... One particular person is emphatic that all the interrupts should go to 1 processor because it's more efficient. I would have to say that testing shows RC2 and Final to have slightly more performance, and perhaps that's due to 1 core being driven instead of two.

Bottom line for me is that I'll take slightly less performance for something that's stable.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 5 Oct 2015, 00:36)

gufus wrote:
RogerSC wrote:

Just a quick note, 15.05-rc3 does work with my Apple mobile devices, where the final didn't work with them very well. Gives me something that I can play with and learn from.

Interesting.

Indeed.

Both CC 15.05 and RC3 use the same wifi driver.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll never know why RC3 was very stable for me.

davidc502 wrote:
kop48 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

I would imagine there will be further updates to CC, especially since it appears a lot of the bugs in CC 15.05 Final are due to the radio drivers.

As far as every single bug, probably not due to everyone not having the same the exact same hardware since the routers were created in batches by Linksys.  It's been hypothesized this is the reason why some have issues others don't.

I'm seeing regular hangs with my router on 15.05 that was not occurring on previous RCs. Is there any information that I can provide to help troubleshoot, or is this a known issue that we just need to wait for new Wi-Fi drivers to fix?

There are some who are having positive results by setting cpu affinity, and cpu performance. See below instructions. Or you can do what I did, and that was to revert back to RC3.

# create a copy of installed packages
opkg list-installed | cut -f 1 -d ' ' > /etc/config/packages.list
# Set the cpu governor to performance (it will allways work on 1.2GHz)
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
# Set the CPU affinity of the wifi interfces to CPU1 (Core 1)
echo 2 > /proc/irq/`cat /proc/interrupts | grep 'armada_370_xp_irq  59' | cut -f1 -d':' | cut -f2 -d' '`/smp_affinity
echo 2 > /proc/irq/`cat /proc/interrupts | grep 'armada_370_xp_irq  60' | cut -f1 -d':' | cut -f2 -d' '`/smp_affinity
# Increase the amount of reserved memory
echo 16384 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
echo 50 > /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

Thanks for the suggestion - is this to workaround the interrupt issue that I've seen in later posts?

Yeah, unfortunately the rc3 release has started acting up as well. Took a couple of reboots, but the same familiar behavior with Apple junk.

So it goes.

RogerSC wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately the rc3 release has started acting up as well. Took a couple of reboots, but the same familiar behavior with Apple junk.

So it goes.

But, 'it just works'.

gufus wrote:

http://www.gypsy-designs.com/1.jpg

hey @gufus, how'd you get that CPU graph to show in LUCI?

I've configured collectd [I think] to show CPU graphs.
I can see that the checkbox is checked under;  Statistics -> Collectd -> System Plugins -> Processor

But when I look under; Statistics -> Graphs
all I see is; Interfaces and System Load
Nothing for CPU
This seems like a bug in LUCI to me... how did you do it?

PS. I'm running my own-built image.  It is CC 15.05 R47101

EDIT:  and according to 'opkg list', I've confirmed the following packages installed
root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list | grep collectd
collectd - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-cpu - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-disk - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-entropy - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-exec - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-interface - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-irq - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-iwinfo - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-load - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-memory - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-network - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-openvpn - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-processes - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-protocols - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-rrdtool - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-sensors - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-thermal - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-unixsock - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-uptime - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-wireless - 5.4.2-2

EDIT2:
I think I may have just answered my own question.  I added this single line to /etc/collectd.conf;

LoadPlugin cpu

Then, restarted collectd and luci_statistics
And now I see a Statistics -> Graphs -> Processor tab with CPU0 & CPU1 charts like gufus’s

(Last edited by wrtpat on 5 Oct 2015, 05:08)

wrtpat wrote:
gufus wrote:

I can see that the checkbox is checked under;  Statistics -> Collectd -> System Plugins -> Processor

Nothing for CPU

You need to install collectd-mod-cpu I think

shallpion wrote:
wrtpat wrote:
gufus wrote:

Nothing for CPU

You need to install collectd-mod-cpu I think

Yup, that's installed.
I've confirmed the following packages are installed;
root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list | grep collectd
collectd - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-cpu - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-disk - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-entropy - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-exec - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-interface - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-irq - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-iwinfo - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-load - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-memory - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-network - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-openvpn - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-processes - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-protocols - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-rrdtool - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-sensors - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-thermal - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-unixsock - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-uptime - 5.4.2-2
collectd-mod-wireless - 5.4.2-2

EDIT:
I think I may have just answered my own question.  I added this single line to /etc/collectd.conf;

LoadPlugin cpu

Then, restarted collectd and luci_statistics
And now I see a Statistics -> Graphs -> Processor tab with CPU0 & CPU1 charts like gufus’s

(Last edited by wrtpat on 5 Oct 2015, 05:06)

What a long thread.

I just got a wrt1900ac, and bravely flashed the latest snapshot (sep29). After installing luci, thinks work now, with wrt1900ac as WDS AP and and old dir-825 as WDS client. Some issues fought on the way:

- 5ghz channels that required DFS did not work (error in logs: "DFS-CAC-START DFS start_dfs_cac() failed, -1"
- 2.4ghz channel had to be set to "legacy" mode for a few android devices (Galaxy S3, Nexus 7 2012). Both have some bcm4330 chips.

The latter took a lot of time as I started by editing, and then disabling ipv6 support, all the way until tried legacy mode...

Oh, and despite being just bought, it was still and V1 version.

Thanks for your tremendous work.
I am on the 1900 v1 with cc final up and running for 19 days stable now.
Configured as Wireless and WDS AP (separate Firewall Zyxel as Router/modem) , connected with Asus RT56U as WDS Bridge, several clients on Android (HTC M8, Nexus 7 2013, Samsung S3, Asus Transformer) and Windows PC`s, hue lighting, wlan remote control, netatmo weather station and some TV`s, no Apple...IPV6 disabled
Would be glad for a hint how to activate the 5th Lan connector into the switch functionality

br
mark

(Last edited by mark1234 on 5 Oct 2015, 10:51)

suihkulokki wrote:

What a long thread.

I just got a wrt1900ac, and bravely flashed the latest snapshot (sep29). After installing luci, thinks work now, with wrt1900ac as WDS AP and and old dir-825 as WDS client. Some issues fought on the way:

- 5ghz channels that required DFS did not work (error in logs: "DFS-CAC-START DFS start_dfs_cac() failed, -1"
- 2.4ghz channel had to be set to "legacy" mode for a few android devices (Galaxy S3, Nexus 7 2012). Both have some bcm4330 chips.

The latter took a lot of time as I started by editing, and then disabling ipv6 support, all the way until tried legacy mode...

v1 vs v2 stock is determined by the retailers, entirely dependent on how many hundreds/thousands of units they still have left of v1.  An analogy would be what occurred with Axe Kilo deodorant, where Axe stopped production on it over 5 years ago, yet it could still be found in major retailers until about a year ago due to the enormous stock that warehouses had built up. 

• Retailers generally don't buy direct from manufacturers and instead go through an independent warehousing agent [of which buys direct from the manufacturer or through a second warehousing agent which does], so not only would it depend on how many v1 units the retailer has in their own warehouses, it also depends on how many v1 units still exist within the warehouses of their warehousing agents.  If the difference between the two wasn't as negligible as it is, there'd be more of decision to carry both, or take v2 stock over v1.

In regards to the S3 and Nexus 7, both have a wireless N controller, so setting the channel to N [legacy is b/g] should work.  What occurred when you set the channel to N and tried to connect to the router from the Nexus 7 and S3?

(Last edited by JW0914 on 5 Oct 2015, 14:14)

mark1234 wrote:

Thanks for your tremendous work.
I am on the 1900 v1 with cc final up and running for 19 days stable now.
Configured as Wireless and WDS AP (separate Firewall Zyxel as Router/modem) , connected with Asus RT56U as WDS Bridge, several clients on Android (HTC M8, Nexus 7 2013, Samsung S3, Asus Transformer) and Windows PC`s, hue lighting, wlan remote control, netatmo weather station and some TV`s, no Apple...IPV6 disabled
Would be glad for a hint how to activate the 5th Lan connector into the switch functionality

br
mark

[I assume you mean utilizing the WAN port for LAN?]

Someone who's actually done it will have to verify, but I think it should it should be as simple as going to Network - Interfaces and assigning eth1 to the LAN bridge or whatever you'd like it to be.

suihkulokki wrote:

What a long thread.

I 've experienced the same issue with my WRT1900AC-V2 the 5Ghz channels that require DFS don't work only channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 work. Even when i set the regulatory domain to Russia, which, according to Wikipedia doesn't have DFS-restrictions at all.

When using DD-WRT i'm able to use channels that require DFS, at least when i set the regulatory domain to Poland.

Is this a bug in OpenWRT / WRT1900AC? Or is this something that is done by design?

(Last edited by Nijntje on 5 Oct 2015, 16:53)

Nijntje wrote:
suihkulokki wrote:

What a long thread.

I 've experienced the same issue with my WRT1900AC-V2 the 5Ghz channels that require DFS don't work only channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 work. Even when i set the regulatory domain to Russia, which, according to Wikipedia doesn't have DFS-restrictions at all.

When using DD-WRT i'm able to use channels that require DFS, at least when i set the regulatory domain to Poland.

Is this a bug in OpenWRT / WRT1900AC? Or is this something that is done by design?

IIRC to utilize DFS it needs to be set to auto

JW0914 wrote:
Nijntje wrote:
suihkulokki wrote:

What a long thread.

Okay, so if i understand correctly you're saying (or rather typing) that the WRT1900AC+OpenWRT does support DFS?

When i set channel selection to auto it always defaults to channel 36.

Again, only channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 work those are the channels that do not have DFS-restrictions. I would really like to know if this is a bug since i'm considering returning the unit if this doesn't get fixed.

(Last edited by Nijntje on 5 Oct 2015, 17:14)

Nijntje wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
Nijntje wrote:

Okay, so if i understand correctly you're saying (or rather typing) that the WRT1900AC+OpenWRT does support DFS?

When i set channel selection to auto it always defaults to channel 36.

Again, only channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 work those are the channels that do not have DFS-restrictions. I would really like to know if this is a bug since i'm considering returning the unit if this doesn't get fixed.

Its entirely possible I'm misremembering something I read

I've been monitoring Wifi temperature, and noticed 5Ghz really doesn't heat up the hardware. However, when I ran a report on Wifi Temperature for the past 24 hours I noticed a increase in temperature that lasted until 5am. My wifi and I were asleep, but my daughter couldn't sleep, and was watching various shows over her 2.4Ghz ChromeCast.

2.4Ghz out to devices
Mbps

Wifi hardware temperature
Mbps

I think this weekend I'm going to do some wifi download tests (hammer it hard), and see what the temperature does for both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.

It just seems wifi hardware heated up a lot just for a tv stream of around 5-6mbps.

JW0914 wrote:
suihkulokki wrote:

What a long thread.

v1 vs v2 stock is determined by the retailers, entirely dependent on how many hundreds/thousands of units they still have left of v1.  An analogy would be what occurred with Axe Kilo deodorant, where Axe stopped production on it over 5 years ago, yet it could still be found in major retailers until about a year ago due to the enormous stock that warehouses had built up.

Indeed, I was just under impression that in consumer IT shops had minimal stocks since computing items get outdated so fast.

JW0914 wrote:

In regards to the S3 and Nexus 7, both have a wireless N controller, so setting the channel to N [legacy is b/g] should work.  What occurred when you set the channel to N and tried to connect to the router from the Nexus 7 and S3?

It 2.4Ghz new is set to N, They pick up the IP over dhcp, but trying to move a bigger chunk of data (like a typical web page), traffic stops moving completely.

Yesterday I had a few wifi hangups (didn't check if the ethernet still works), so I'll need to open up to wire in the serial..

davidc502 wrote:

I've been monitoring Wifi temperature, and noticed 5Ghz really doesn't heat up the hardware. However, when I ran a report on Wifi Temperature for the past 24 hours I noticed a increase in temperature that lasted until 5am. My wifi and I were asleep, but my daughter couldn't sleep, and was watching various shows over her 2.4Ghz ChromeCast.

2.4Ghz out to devices
Mbps

Wifi hardware temperature
Mbps

I think this weekend I'm going to do some wifi download tests (hammer it hard), and see what the temperature does for both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.

It just seems wifi hardware heated up a lot just for a tv stream of around 5-6mbps.

Cool, how did you do that? I would like to start a Wiki-page on Openwrt.org on the topic monitoring, but I failed in figuring out how to create such a page  -_-   I think a lot of people could benefit of a central place for stuff like that.

gaga wrote:

Cool, how did you do that? I would like to start a Wiki-page on Openwrt.org on the topic monitoring, but I failed in figuring out how to create such a page  -_-   I think a lot of people could benefit of a central place for stuff like that.

If you look a page or two back, there's a post that explains how I use Community Edition of HP SiteScope, and gather metrics using SNMP as well as SSH.

There's really not a lot involved to get this working. More familiarity with SiteScope, and how to use it more than anything else. Other than that, installing the snmpd process, and using tools in SiteScope to do a snmpwalk to get the OID's needed for polling.

If you want to go that direction with a wiki, I could take screen shots and basic explanations so you could publish?

suihkulokki wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

It 2.4Ghz new is set to N, They pick up the IP over dhcp, but trying to move a bigger chunk of data (like a typical web page), traffic stops moving completely.

Yesterday I had a few wifi hangups (didn't check if the ethernet still works), so I'll need to open up to wire in the serial..

What happens if you connect a non-cellular device to the 2.4gHz [set to N]? Do you get the same results?  If you don't, it would indicate an issue on the S3 and NX7, most likely caused by an app, or multiple apps, on the devices... however, in order to rule this out, a non-android device will need to be connected to see if the results are replicated. 

• If you've downloaded apps, or sideloaded them, from other sources outside of the Play Store and devs on forums you trust, it would indicate malware may be at play.  [Even if that's not the case, I'd still recommend downloading Sophos from the Play Store (Sophos is the best antivirus solution on the market, with most never hearing about the company because they're corporate security based and are known for their Unified Threat Management (UTM) software and hardware products... also offering the best router software on the market, which combines routing, antivirus, firewall, VPN, and many other features into an extremely powerful router OS)]

Do you have an issue connecting to other wireless N networks with the S3 or NX7?

(Last edited by JW0914 on 6 Oct 2015, 17:00)

davidc502 wrote:
gaga wrote:

If you look a page or two back, there's a post that explains how I use Community Edition of HP SiteScope, and gather metrics using SNMP as well as SSH.

There's really not a lot involved to get this working. More familiarity with SiteScope, and how to use it more than anything else. Other than that, installing the snmpd process, and using tools in SiteScope to do a snmpwalk to get the OID's needed for polling.

If you want to go that direction with a wiki, I could take screen shots and basic explanations so you could publish?

My bad sorry, I thought it's directly in LuCi as there is actually a plugin that someone got to work with LuCi.

My issue right now is, that I don't know how to create something simple like a page in the openwrt.org howto section to get something started on the whole monitoring topic.

gaga wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
gaga wrote:

My bad sorry, I thought it's directly in LuCi as there is actually a plugin that someone got to work with LuCi.

My issue right now is, that I don't know how to create something simple like a page in the openwrt.org howto section to get something started on the whole monitoring topic.

It makes more sense to use the tools Luci has anyway. There's a few people who have the internal metrics working, and I'm sure they can help you out.