OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Why do existing Master SSID's get removed when a Client SSID is added?

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

It doesn't make sense to me yet...

On my NEXX WT-3020 I flashed CCrc3 this is what happened:

I connected to the router, set a new password and rebooted
Logged in to the webinterface again.
Then i saw a preconfigured WLAN Master (SSID: OpenWRT)

But when I did a scan, selected my local Hotspot and entered the WPA passcode
That seemed all ok.   But then when i went back to the WiFi overview the Master SSID had disappeared.

This is a bit strange to me. But it seems to be standard behaviour.
But why?  I don't see a reason why an existing config should be removed

On the Mediatek i see that when i connect to an SSID, in my case it is on channel 6,  that when i add client SSID's they also live at channel 6.  Does this have anything to do with it?

The standard pre configured SSD (OpenWRT) was sitting on channel 1 or 10, can't remember.

So when i connected to the local hotspot at channel 6 i lost the OpenWRT that was on a different channel.
My feeling says this is somehow related, but i don't know if it is a bug, expected behaviour or maybe something that’s still on some dev's todo list.   (to automagically reconfigure the OpenWRT SSID's channel to the same as the local hotspot.)

Does my feeling make any sense at all, or am I dead wrong?

If it is not a bug, then where should i suggest to add automatic channel reconfiguration fot the OpenWRT SSID?

has nothing to do with chanels.. you can have maney wifi nets on same channel.. the difference between them is name/password combination

ofcouse youll get interferences..

(Last edited by makarel on 1 Sep 2015, 23:50)

You have a single radio, and thus a single channel.  Indeed, as some one pointed out a single config for the radio.  The only difference is STA/client or AP and security.  See this also https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=59329

I actually did read this yesterday and spent some time looking into things, but could not craft a worthy reply at the time.

The "Travel Router" as built to day is a shrunk evolution of a router.  (less Ethernet ports, smaller box, 5v).  There is no evolution in the hardware or software to actually fit the use.  Even real routers have the radio issue.  Look at bridging and the need for relayd.  Broadcom is about the only one that can do this, but the real solution is independent radios, so the two sides can be independent (channels and settings).  There also is a need for GB with dual Ethernet (why should it be slow), at least 2 USB (wireless, 4G, camera, USB data, etc), and at least one or 2 programmable buttons (to many options).  I do not care if its as small as the 6416 or this.  I also need a battery, or it's just not a "Travel Router" (it's lots of other good things).  The vendors market these as travel routers, but really treat them as media sharing devices if you look at the apps.  Sure they have apps, but none do the single thing (well) everyone needs to do when they turn it on.  Connect.  I have a 15 minute window to use my phone or tablet.  I do not want to spend 2 -3 minutes setting it up and again tearing it down.  Power on, select, go, power off. Done.  Once you go to Open-WRT, it gets worse.  Gl.inet has about the only usable software solution, but they do not seem interested in adding a battery (proposed to alfie along with dual radios)

So far I have a technical solution, but not a practical one and I am not using it.

yes the single channel like I expected.

but is this actually the cause of loosing the preconfigured OpenWRT SSID as soon as you add a Master SSID?  Because that really sux... hehehe Specially when you dont have a Cat5 cable or USB TTL in your pocket :-)

Now i see the whole issue you had with having to do way to many steps to reconfigure the thing. And i agree it's not really practical in a travel scenario.   It really would help if the client SSID's nicely followed the masters channel instead of completely dropping off the map. 

But i'm not sure if it is a bug. or just something that still is under construction. 

If it is under construction, then i come back to my double router idea (the picture i showed a few days ago of the DIR-505 + NEXX linked together)

Then the DIR-505 can deal with the WAN config this is what to reconfigure at new locations.
And the NEXX just routes from WAN to LAN+WLAN and never has to be changed.

Ok it is a bit hackish... but it saves a lot of config stuff.. in your case it would consume also double the battery power. so that's another thing but you also have dual core hehehe, 

Well thats how I would do it until there is a more easy way to do this within OpenWRT itself.
I'll have to draw a diagram of what i have in mind. I think it is capable of many nice things that just 1 box cannot do.

When you need to upgrade the firewall you can do that offline...  When the new one is ready, unplug the old, an plugin the new.  etc.

And you can make a pluggable config.

Make mini boxes
- Firewall
- HTTP Server
- POP Server
- TOR Router

Stick it all to the cold wall of the house with Velcro.
A Powered USB HUB with 4Ampere PSU.
A decentralised MINI home appliance.

And when the NSA want to hack your mailserver then they just need A LOT of patience.  And the extra load will stand out.

Fast enough to send emails, slow enough to annoy hackers?  not sure..
You even could add a temperature sensor on each SoC, if it gets too hot then power it down for 10 minutes.... 
Then a hacker would have to tip-toe his way in.

Not sure though if this is at all practical for day to day use.

@RangerZ
why do you neeed a battery dude.. its not like your in the middle of nowhere with no electrical wires around
even in the middleof the space you have juice from the device your using..
id be more worried couse they use micro-B instead of mini-B for power..

I have a phone in my hand.  I want to connect to my OpenVPN connection. 
The way it is.  I need to connect my router to 5V battery or wall with a cable.  My phone can not power the router.  I then connect my phone to LAN side (Should be auto).  Disconnect cables and battery, put away.
The way I want it:  Push a button, the router powers on and connects to my phone.  The router can stay in my bag or pocket.  Press button again its off

Battery, cable, wall wart, router (4 items)
OR
Router (1 item)

It's called a "road warrior" for a reason.  Among all the other things we fight is what to pack and the space it takes.  And yes, it frequently is the middle of no where. Airports, coffee shops, even offices.  With a 4G modem it can be anywhere a cell signal is. 

Cables are too much effort and time, and easy to forget or loose.

@frietpan - I do not think it's a bug and I do not think its under construction.  The entire scenario is limited by the "single radio means single channel". 

If I set a LAN AP on channel 6, and configure my PC to connect to it, the PC saves the connection parameters including CH6.  If I then use the SCAN to get an AP for the Client, and the AP is on channel 1, I think the only choices are 1) abort or 2) drop the connection on the AP side to the PC.

We are back to 2 radios.  I just wish I had 2 USB ports so I could also have a USB drive in addition to my EdiMAX.

@RangerZ
whell.. i stick to my demand why use micro-B instead of mini-B for power.. or even better.. why use designer power plugs insted of standardised (sturdy) one

Cable is a cable.  I do not want any for use.  It is a goal, not a debate.

I have an iPhone.  All IOS cables are std full size USB.

RangerZ wrote:

Cable is a cable.  I do not want any for use.  It is a goal, not a debate.

I have an iPhone.  All IOS cables are std full size USB.

ok i go for cable lol

So many people so many ways to use hardware.  When on the road it's sure a pain to have to many 'stuff' to keep track of.

back to the single radio single channel.
I do think there is one addition that could improve OpenWRT on this topic.

Now the preconfigured client is deleted when a master is added that is on a DIFFERENT channel.
This potentially can lead to a lock-out When you don't have a CAT cable at hand and rely 100% on wifi.

What I'd like to see is something like this:

Lets say SSID OpenWRT Master is on channel1
You then scan for a local accespoint and connect to it.
This Client then turns out to be on lets say channel 6.  (so the OpenWRT SSID gets deleted)
But if OpenWRT would RECONFIGURE the OpenWRT SSID from channel 1 to the Client's channel 6 then such a lockout should be prevented.

And a single radio would then be enough...

Or is there more at play under the hood that I'm not aware of?

But who can build this functionality? Where do I suggest this that the devs can jump on top of this? I think this is a big improvement if it can be done.

whell ive tried to make 2 ssids on same radio on BB... so..
-my device doesnt support it and stayes disabled while configured with 2 ssids
-i can customize every ssid but settings regarding the hw are same for both.. if i change in one ssid they change in the second also

@makarel
What SoC is in your device?
The  Ahereos AR9331 and MediaTek 7620 based devices I have are capable of running multiple SSID's on the same channel.

The discussion might have continued from here.