OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kingston Mobilelite G2 (MLWG2)

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The answer for the MLW221 (G1) is NO Failsafe.

The reset button does just that.....reset

Correction :

IT DOES WORK !!! ....had to try it a few times

(Last edited by ldpinney on 21 Aug 2015, 01:14)

- failsafe button reset was pressed -
- failsafe -

BusyBox v1.22.1 (2015-02-09 17:27:57 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

ash: can't access tty; job control turned off
  _______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
-----------------------------------------------------
BARRIER BREAKER (Barrier Breaker, r44162)
  * 1/2 oz Galliano         Pour all ingredients into
  * 4 oz cold Coffee        an irish coffee mug filled
  * 1 1/2 oz Dark Rum       with crushed ice. Stir.
  * 2 tsp. Creme de Cacao
root@(none):/#

ldpinney wrote:

The answer for the MLW221 (G1) is NO Failsafe.

The reset button does just that.....reset

Correction :

IT DOES WORK !!! ....had to try it a few times

Awesome. Maybe failsafe works on the MLWG2, but I'm not pressing the button at the right time. Will have to try again tonight. Just power it on, and start pressing the reset button a billion time right (or once when it starts blinking twice per second)?

I could have totally busted up my reset button when I tried to open my MLWG2 before I realize there were two screws on the bottom sad

@blackysky, you should try it too since it will save you the need from opening up your MLW221.

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 21 Aug 2015, 01:48)

King0fK0ng wrote:

Awesome. Maybe failsafe works on the MLWG2, but I'm not pressing the button at the right time. Will have to try again tonight. Just power it on, and start pressing the reset button a billion time right (or once when it starts blinking twice per second)?

I could have totally busted up my reset button when I tried to open my MLWG2 before I realize there were two screws on the bottom sad

Test your reset button :

with OpenWrt running push the reset for a few seconds and release.....it should reboot (reset)

ldpinney wrote:

Test your reset button :

with OpenWrt running push the reset for a few seconds and release.....it should reboot (reset)

My reset button is physically fine.

Looks like the reset button on the MLWG2 isn't connected to anything. It doesn't reset the device after holding it for a few seconds.

I tried the instructions from the hardware button wiki - http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/hardware.button - to identify it.

The first step is to find out the internal name of the button you want to use: some images use generic names such as BTN_1, BTN_2, others have more specific ones like reset, wps, etc. Run the following:

# mkdir -p /etc/hotplug.d/button
Create the file /etc/hotplug.d/button/buttons with your favorite text editor, paste the following:

#!/bin/sh
logger the button was $BUTTON and the action was $ACTION 
Save and exit. Now press the button you want to use, then run logread.

Jan 1 00:01:15 OpenWrt user.notice root: BTN_1   
Jan 1 00:01:15 OpenWrt user.notice root: pressed   
Jan 1 00:01:16 OpenWrt user.notice root: BTN_1    
Jan 1 00:01:16 OpenWrt user.notice root: released 

Didn't see anything log with logread.

Let me know if I can help somehow with getting this fixed.

King0fK0ng wrote:

I'm assuming you can build OpenWrt yourself....

IF you find the reset button (or something else) that needs a patch.

I'll patch for it...YOU (and others) test it...IF/WHEN it is confirmed working....I'll submit it.

Should go without saying...BUT... I mean patches that are (or would be) acceptable in OpenWrt.

I.E. NOT ...I want the the wireless on by default....custom default settings...etc...etc.

ldpinney wrote:
King0fK0ng wrote:

I'm assuming you can build OpenWrt yourself....

IF you find the reset button (or something else) that needs a patch.

I'll patch for it...YOU (and others) test it...IF/WHEN it is confirmed working....I'll submit it.

Should go without saying...BUT... I mean patches that are (or would be) acceptable in OpenWrt.

I.E. NOT ...I want the the wireless on by default....custom default settings...etc...etc.

I'm familiar with building openwrt myself. Just need some guidance on the process for figuring out the reset button. I'll read up, but if you have any hints, please share. Thanks!

Finally i bought usb2ttl adapter and regret unable to get connected... welded three wires, connected to PC (w7) and when i start router sometimes happened nothing, sometimes garbage is coming on the screen and no any way to get menu or so. I bought "USB to UART CP2102 RS232 Module usb2ttl", maybe it is wrong adapter ? Also do i need to disconnect battery plug ?
Thank you.

(Last edited by blackysky on 21 Aug 2015, 09:04)

blackysky wrote:

Finally i bought usb2ttl adapter and regret unable to get connected... welded three wires, connected to PC (w7) and when i start router sometimes happened nothing, sometimes garbage is coming on the screen and no any way to get menu or so. I bought "USB to UART CP2102 RS232 Module usb2ttl", maybe it is wrong adapter ? Also do i need to disconnect battery plug ?
Thank you.

Have you tried switching the RX <-> TX? Is it properly grounded? Are you using the correct speed - 57600?

No, if you disconnect the battery plug, what's going to power your MLWG2?

King0fK0ng wrote:

Have you tried switching the RX <-> TX? Is it properly grounded? Are you using the correct speed - 57600?

No, if you disconnect the battery plug, what's going to power your MLWG2?

Yes three times, i did, even tried usb2com adapter, as well laptop builtin com port, should it also work ?

I was looking at these again yesterday and recall reading (before) that the FTDI chipsets are the standard protocol and that the "same as like but different" are not as reliable. 

The chipset blackysky APPEARS to have is a PL2303HX, based on the quoted string.

KingOfKong (and others) do you know what chipset you are using?

(Last edited by RangerZ on 21 Aug 2015, 16:52)

RangerZ wrote:

I was looking at these again yesterday and recall reading (before) that the FTDI chipsets are the standard protocol and that the "same as like but different" are not as reliable. 

The chipset blackysky APPEARS to have is a PL2303HX, based on the quoted string.

KingOfKong (and others) do you know what chipset you are using?

CP2102 is CP210x chipset. I'm using a PL2303HX on linux.

@blackysky , I would suggest basic troubleshooting. Are the drivers loaded correctly? Verify if the issue is with your serial adapter by testing on another device. Double check the that you have it solder to the correct pins. I provided a picture above. Post some photos on your soldering and screenshot from you computer so we have a better idea.

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 21 Aug 2015, 19:05)

So, after long story seems my device completely bricked, two adapters and three computers give nothing.

I can't connect at all. Nothing happened when i start router connected with serial adapter... No led on the usb adapter except red one as power.

May i damage bootloader somehow ? Is there anyway to solder lan port like others i saw somewhere ?

Fianlly i order new device. Just to be on safe side now, for the instruction bellow, do i need to write both kernel before string like at google drive: uboot_env setenv bootstate 0
or enough to do like you mention, only KernelA and point out bootstate ?
And then, to upgrade to Chaos Calmer RC3 i will proceed same procedure via USB or flash from web gui ?

The general flashing string via putty will be ?:

mtd_write write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelA
uboot_env setenv bootstate 0
reboot

HLK wrote:

How to update to OpenWRT after you applied a Kingston Update.

Problem:
Kingston uses a two Kernel System. After every update it will switches to the new one.
For example you got a new device with Kernel A active and apply the 2.0.0.6 update, the router will switch to Kernel B and starts at bc800000. When you upgrade now to OpenWRT the CFG_KERN_ADDR will stay at bc800000. So after first start of the new OpenWRT Kernel and a reboot you will get a bootloop.

Solution (works for me):

mtd_write write yourimage.bin KernelA
reboot

bootstate is responsible for the CFG_KERN_ADD.

0 = booting at bc050000
2 = booting at bc800000

Always remember that the first update has to be smaller than 8mb.

blackysky wrote:

Fianlly i order new device. Just to be on safe side now, for the instruction bellow, do i need to write both kernel before string like at google drive: uboot_env setenv bootstate 0
or enough to do like you mention, only KernelA and point out bootstate ?
And then, to upgrade to Chaos Calmer RC3 i will proceed same procedure via USB or flash from web gui ?

The general flashing string via putty will be ?:

mtd_write write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelA
reboot

@blackysky, you previously had no issues flashing openwrt. Why are you looking to change your flashing procedure? You made a bad network configuration change, that was the problem.

Also would like to understand how you ended up bricking your router by trying to install a serial connection (soldering 3 wires).

King0fK0ng wrote:

@blackysky, you previously had no issues flashing openwrt. Why are you looking to change your flashing procedure? You made a bad network configuration change, that was the problem.

Also would like to understand how you ended up bricking your router by trying to install a serial connection (soldering 3 wires).

I think i made short circuit to the contact with white dot and usb port rx or tx, because first approach to connect serial was without soldering, but attaching three contact on the "air", that's my explanation to myself...

Dear All,

Just got the new device and before to flash asking, is OpenWrt give full control over attached usb hard drive, R/W ?
and silly question: the usb modems to be supported all (like openwrt support) or only some like kingston said ?
Thank you.

Guys, mine arrived already with preinstalled 2.0.6 fw, how to flash it w/o bricking up ?

Like that ?:

reboot

blackysky wrote:

Guys, mine arrived already with preinstalled 2.0.6 fw, how to flash it w/o bricking up ?

Like that ?:

reboot

Sry for late respond.

You don't have to set the bootstate when you did not update before.

I am working with this devices in my company and bricked it often enough. (more than 15 times wink )
After adding bootstate command I do not have any flash problems anymore.

Hi all.
I buy this MLWG2  and I want to flash the wrt.
I read the instructions and I understand  up to 3rd step.
The fourth step and after is difficult to understand.

4) telnet to 192.168.201.254 username 'admin' password is blank. 5) mtd_write write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelA 6) mtd_write -r write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelB

What's mean  telnet and how run these two commands.
Please is there anyone to help me?
Thank you.

(Last edited by cocous on 6 Oct 2015, 12:47)

cocous wrote:

4) telnet to 192.168.201.254 username 'admin' password is blank. 5) mtd_write write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelA 6) mtd_write -r write /media/USB1/openwrt-ramips-mt7620n-mlwg2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin KernelB

What's mean  telnet and how run these two commands.
Please is there anyone to help me?
Thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet

Again I don't understand it.
Please somebody to explain step by step?
This needed Linux or you can do it with Windows?