OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Optimized and feature rich trunk build for select routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Aug 2014 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Thanks!! I'll test during the weekend. Away for the week, work...

2015-07-22 09:59:58 :

SlavoF wrote:

It is a question also for other,
does not use one Oscam or Doscam on OpenWrt?
on the older builds  / < 46356 / runs smoothly, on newer not already running sad

now I have r45950 kernel 3.18.14 and Oscam/Doscam works seamlessly
on 46356 and later not working

@arokh, it would be embedded into the later images/builds driver "vsftpd"?
( like last kmod-ath10k )
that when installed it already functional FTP?

Thanks.

@arokh, 3.18 build for Archer C5 and Archer C7 v2  ? smile
On kernel 4.x some linux binaries do not work , those that need, need uClibc sad
Why get you on 4.x when official build is still on 3.18 ?

Thanks.

(Last edited by SlavoF on 19 Aug 2015, 10:12)

@SlavoF

Why do you want a 3.18 build? Official ar71xx images are 4.1 for trunk. coxmobil/bouwew have the wdr4900/mpc85xx which is still on 3.18 but I adapted the patches to apply with 4.1. Their problem does not apply for you. Simply install packages compatible with your build or build yourself. Kernel version does not demand a specific libc version.

@Crayne

http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/s … s/99-arokh

There isn't a proper way to do backups/restore, you will need knowledge of every part of the system. Unofficially you can usually use sysupgrade with success, but some times things can and will break.

A personal UCI script and backup of certificates should let you replicate your settings efficiently though, but don't ask me to support it.

arokh wrote:

I do have CONFIG_PACKAGE_ATH_DFS set, but I didn't include hostapd and wpa-supplicant. I'll add them for the next release.

I'll put out a wdr4900 3.18 build you can test. Might as well be the switch from uClibc to musl causing it though, we'll see.

I just flashed your latest 3.18 build and it also eliminates the problem I had with Transmission and since I just started a new job which is quite hectic, I haven't had the time to test the 4.1 without the PPC optimizations.

Hi @arokh I just took the plunge and clean installed r46672 on my WNDR3700v4 and everything looking good - I've held off upgrading for ages because of the need to wipe config, but didn't take too long to re-apply and looks like everything is running nicely - thank you for your great work!

Hey @arokh, just registered to say thanks for your build. i had bought a WNDR3800CH for the sole purpose of using CeroWRT but I found out your build is much, much more polished and updated.

Right now I'm rocking r46584  and couldn't be happier.

I do have a question, and forgive me in advance if it's better suited elsewhere: I have OpenVPN routed through Tor and everything is working perfectly, but I was wondering if it's possible to have a different profile that routes the connection through the router instead of teh Tor network, for when I simply need to check on my local server from work.

Again, many thanks for this excellent addition to OpenWRT, and sorry if my question is misplaced.

Cheers from Colombia!

Sure, you can add as many OpenVPN instances you want and have them routed the way you want. You have the example Tor/VPN rule that you can modify to do what you like.

arokh wrote:

DNS requests are handled like normal, they go to dnsmasq on the router. After that they are forwarded to dnscrypt on 127.0.0.1:5300.

Changing the rightdns to 127.0.0.1 like you did shouldn't work in theory. I'm guessing your phone has a DNS fallback, either that or it works because the default route goes to VPN.

EDIT: There's an issue with the creation of ovpn profiles in the last build.

Problem line in vpn.sh:

cat /etc/templates/ios-ikev2.template | awk '{gsub("WANIP",x)}1' x="$wan_ip" | awk '{gsub("CA",x)}1' x="$CA" | awk '{gsub("CLIENTCERT",x)}1' x="$CERT" | awk '{gsub("CLIENTKEY",x)}1' x="$KEY" > /www_blank/$1.ovpn

Should read:

cat /etc/templates/ovpn.template | awk '{gsub("WANIP",x)}1' x="$wan_ip" | awk '{gsub("CA",x)}1' x="$CA" | awk '{gsub("CLIENTCERT",x)}1' x="$CERT" | awk '{gsub("CLIENTKEY",x)}1' x="$KEY" > /www_blank/$1.ovpn

If you correct this manually, recreate client profiles with "vpn.sh buildclient myclient". Otherwise new builds are on their way smile

Thanks for the explanation arokh, now that you mention it i have been seeing some weird behaviour.

I'll download the latest build this weekend, set it up properly and feedback.

Hey arokh!

Could you help me figure out what might be the problem here?

I was using your r44590 build on an Archer C7 v2, it was working okay.
Today I tried updating to the r46693. I always use the TFTP recovery method for updating. The file transfer went okay, however the router did not update properly, it rebooted but then only the system led was on and one of the the LAN indicators, I couldn't reach the router and it never assigned an IP through DHCP to my computer.

So I tried going back through the versions to see which one worked and I found out that the last version that works correctly is the r46434. That is what I am using now.
You made two r46434 versions and the r46434-2 is the first one that doesn't work, anything before that works fine, anything after that does not work, router becomes unreachable.

I don't see anything Archer specific in the changelog for that version in there so I don't understand what caused this.
Thank you!

That is very odd indeed, I can't imagine what change did that. Perhaps the -O2 produces some bad code with musl on that architecture? I could cook up a build without that option for you to test. I've compared the config diffs between r46434 and r46434-2 and there's nothing special just added vnstat and some libraries.

I've seen that from r46541 mwan3 is included, I believe in order to support USB tethering. Did anybody try pluging in a wifi usb dongle to this build and try to set up 2 WAN connections? USB dongle as wifi client and regular lan broadband connection as pppoe or whatever method you have.

Hello.

Something curious happens. I have a Archer C5 configured with firmware of arokh for Movistar FFTH (using VLAN). I have a 300Mb / 30Mb. If I connect cable, only I get to 220-200Mb. If you use the original Movistar modem, I get the 300Mb.  If I set the archer C5 with the same firmware but instead of using it as a modem, is only connected to the Movistar router, then I get back to 300Mb.
You know that it may be due? Perhaps the router is not powerful enough to make modem / router?

Regards.

arokh wrote:

That is very odd indeed, I can't imagine what change did that. Perhaps the -O2 produces some bad code with musl on that architecture? I could cook up a build without that option for you to test. I've compared the config diffs between r46434 and r46434-2 and there's nothing special just added vnstat and some libraries.

Thanks, if you could do that, that would be great. I will test it to see if it changes anything.

@Panderine

I've tested tethering my HTC One with Android 5.0.1 and it works great, Bittorrent spreads out over both links.

@atomizazzer

I'm not sure but 300Mbps might be pushing it as far as LAN/WAN speed goes because of NAT. Did you compare with an official OpenWrt build? What release of my build are you on by the way?

@hix3r

Ok, I'll build smile

arokh wrote:

@Panderine

I've tested tethering my HTC One with Android 5.0.1 and it works great, Bittorrent spreads out over both links.

@atomizazzer

I'm not sure but 300Mbps might be pushing it as far as LAN/WAN speed goes because of NAT. Did you compare with an official OpenWrt build? What release of my build are you on by the way?

@hix3r

Ok, I'll build smile

@arokh
I've tested with 15.05-RC2 and RC3 and the result is the same, only 200Mb.

arokh wrote:

@Panderine

To do it with another usb wifi dongle it should be as simple as plugin it, load the correct driver package and it should work the same way as with your phone right?

@atomizazzer

What revision of my build did you try? Someone else reported the latest releases not working.

@Panderine

If it's using cdc or rndis protocol which is what I've included. I think those are the most common.

Updated to r46693 on my Archer C7 v2 without saving settings and then loaded config file back in after. No issues noted and router is running as normal. Wish I could say the same for my Cisco Linksys e3000 being used as an Access Point. It seems to require a "Power down reboot" after every firmware upgrade on my TP-Link router to come back to life.

exrwagon wrote:

Updated to r46693 on my Archer C7 v2 without saving settings and then loaded config file back in after. No issues noted and router is running as normal. Wish I could say the same for my Cisco Linksys e3000 being used as an Access Point. It seems to require a "Power down reboot" after every firmware upgrade on my TP-Link router to come back to life.

On the Archer C7 v2: you didn't use TFTP recovery, but sysupgrade and it didn't have issues? Hmm... I will do some more tests tomorrow.

Wow, loooks like an awesome build. I want to use it for my WNDR3700v1, but the latest build seems to lack the sysupgrade images....

http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/w … mb/r46693/

I'm missing a file called "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3700-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin"

Hi arokh,

Hope you don't mind me coming back to you dude, especially after being such a pest over issues i caused myself...

I've tested the last two builds and got IPSec working with very little issue and DNS is routing perfectly. But i can't get OpenVPN to work now. Seems to be missing openvpn-easyrsa package, although it may be by design??

When i start the service it fails to find the required files ca.crt dh1024.pem.... , supposed to be split between two locations, /etc/easy-rsa/ and /etc/openvpn/keys/. Checked the openvpn config and i can see that they're referenced.

You mentioned being able to use the caCert.pem file created by the new vpn.sh script, do i need to alter the Openvpn config to point at the files in /etc/CA/?

Let me know if you want any logs.

As always, your amazing work, and continued support of it, are hugely appreciated, man!!

Wriggerz

(Last edited by Wriggerz on 21 Aug 2015, 18:26)

@Wriggerz

I removed openvpn-easyrsa because I use a different tool to make the certificates. Looks like I forgot to change the configuration to reflect the new file locations. SSH into your router and paste this:

uci batch << EOF
set openvpn.udp.ca='/etc/CA/caCert.pem'
set openvpn.udp.cert='/etc/CA/serverCert.pem'
set openvpn.udp.key='/etc/CA/serverKey.pem'
set openvpn.udp.dh='/etc/CA/dh.pem'
set openvpn.tcp.ca='/etc/CA/caCert.pem'
set openvpn.tcp.cert='/etc/CA/serverCert.pem'
set openvpn.tcp.key='/etc/CA/serverKey.pem'
set openvpn.tcp.dh='/etc/CA/dh.pem'
commit
EOF
/etc/init.d/openvpn restart

@fizze

Yeah I see now and found the problem. I've rewritten my script creating certificates using a different tool which requires more packages and the image is now too big. I might switch to using openssl which is already included, but then again it complicates the process so I don't know if it's worth it. Time to switch out the old 3700 tongue

(Last edited by arokh on 21 Aug 2015, 20:36)

Wriggerz wrote:
arokh wrote:

@Wriggerz

I removed openvpn-easyrsa because I use a different tool to make the certificates. Looks like I forgot to change the configuration to reflect the new file locations. SSH into your router and paste this:

uci batch << EOF
set openvpn.udp.ca='/etc/CA/caCert.pem'
set openvpn.udp.cert='/etc/CA/serverCert.pem'
set openvpn.udp.key='/etc/CA/serverKey.pem'
set openvpn.udp.dh='/etc/CA/dh.pem'
set openvpn.tcp.ca='/etc/CA/caCert.pem'
set openvpn.tcp.cert='/etc/CA/serverCert.pem'
set openvpn.tcp.key='/etc/CA/serverKey.pem'
set openvpn.tcp.dh='/etc/CA/dh.pem'
commit
EOF
/etc/init.d/openvpn restart

Do i need to create the serverCert and serverKey files? They're not there.

Nevermind, created them using the commands you gave a couple of pages back.

But.... i "cleaned" deleting the dh.pem file, how do i get it back?

Is it build-dh? Then rename that dh.pem and put it in CA?

(Last edited by Wriggerz on 21 Aug 2015, 23:17)

Sorry, posts 2326 to 2325 are missing from our archive.