OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: vpnc on CC - tun error

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I tried to get vpnc to work like described in the wiki.

I have used extroot on a usb storage and installed vpnc and vpnc-scripts.

The vpnc-scripts are missing at /etc/vpnc so I searched for them in /lib/netifd/vpnc-script.

Buf if I try to start vpnc from the commandline (after set the default.conf) I get:
can't initialise tunnel interface: No such file or Directory

The tun0 device is missing. But kmod-tun is installed, tun is loaded and /dev/net/tun is available. I try to do a symlink to /dev/net/tun so vpnc connects but all the other stuff like Routing is missing.

Why the tun0 device and all the Routing stuff is not created through vpnc?

Thanks,
Patrick

Ok, in CC the configuration has moved to uci.

You have to set the configuration there (see https://github.com/openwrt/packages/tre … net/vpnc).

But if I try to connect (ifup vpn), I get this error:
error: arbitrary naming tunnel interface is not supported in this Version

Someone out there with a working vpnc connection in chaos calmer?

hi

gogle "arbitrary naming tunnel interface" you should get a clue
i guess you have to define a tunnel name.. among others

Hi, thanks for your answer!

But.. there is no option to define a tunnel name... the only options I set are these:

config interface 'vpn'
    option server 'server'
    option username 'user'
    option password 'pass'
    option authgroup 'user'
    option passgroup 'secret'
    option local_port '0'

Yes, there are more instructions, but I don't need them in the past (see OWRT wiki). The wiki only describes the procedure in barrier breaker with the old configuration. I have transferred the old configuration into the options above. There is no option to set the tun-device.

Ok – I give up and try to backport the old working vpnc module from barrier breaker...

(Last edited by ps00de on 19 Aug 2015, 19:20)

The discussion might have continued from here.