OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I have configured an Edimax EW-7811Un micro wireless USB adapter for use as a second radio with the HooToo TM-02.  See this post for other details.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=58548

The unit works as either a WWAN and WLAN adapter.  It will only support a single SSID.  It must be preset at boot time to be recognized. 

I connected a USB hub to the router.  It will recognize a USB thumb drive, but it did not recognize the EDImax also attached.  If any one thinks it's related to wpad vs wpad-mini please let me know.

I tested this with OpenVPN and get about 4.2 down and 2.5 up wireless on both sides.

Hi,
I installed the lastest development version that doesn't have LuCI and i don't know how to reinstall it.
I hope that someone can help me.
Thanks

(Last edited by TheGiolly on 20 Jul 2015, 15:14)

TheGiolly wrote:

Hi,
I installed the lastest development version that doesn't have LuCI and i don't know how to reinstall it.

I did it the stupid way, but it is the only way I know how to get it working.

1) connect TM02 to the computer's ethernet port. Is will assign IP to the computer
2) from the computer, use the telnet command to connect to 192.168.1.1
3) once connected and see the welcome screen, execute uci set network.lan.proto='dhcp'
4) run uci commit
5) connect TM02 to a router, it should get IP allocated by the router
6) telnet to TM02 using the IP assigned by the router, and run opkg update
7) after the update is done, run opkg install luci
8) connect to TM02 from the browser.

ken218 wrote:
TheGiolly wrote:

Hi,

I did it the stupid way, but it is the only way I know how to get it working.

1) connect TM02 to the computer's ethernet port. Is will assign IP to the computer
2) from the computer, use the telnet command to connect to 192.168.1.1
3) once connected and see the welcome screen, execute uci set network.lan.proto='dhcp'
4) run uci commit
5) connect TM02 to a router, it should get IP allocated by the router
6) telnet to TM02 using the IP assigned by the router, and run opkg update
7) after the update is done, run opkg install luci
8) connect to TM02 from the browser.

Thank you very much, it worked!
ia anyone alse needs it: after "uci commit" reboot the TM02 wink

Anyone know about the feasibility of using one of these as a USB device via the microUSB port?  It'd be nice if it could present itself as an USB Ethernet interface.  (I have a TM03, like the TM04 with a smaller battery)

At some point between unboxing and flashing OpenWRT, I had a microSD card inserted, and plugging the device into my laptop presented the SD card as a UMS device.  I think this might be the behavior when the router is powered off and the device is plugged in to a USB host.

It appears that the RC3 image of Chaos Calmer includes LUCI now? So people should be able to go straight from wing’s Factory Image to RC3 (just make sure you un-tick the “Keep Settings” box).

Also, an update on my probing of the TM04’s battery circuit: Sadly, there is no communication between the SoC and MCU as I originally thought (the MCU does have two lines coming from it with pull down resistors in place, but it’s not I2C data and doesn’t appear to be going to the main SoC; most likely some sort of open drain logic related to the battery circuit).

The good news is, if one did want to implement a gas gauge, you could easily tap the two GPIO that control the network status LEDs and bit bang I2C. (Add a I2C GPIO expander along with an I2C coulomb counter  and you could even retain the LEDs.)

yxalag wrote:

Anyone know about the feasibility of using one of these as a USB device via the microUSB port?  It'd be nice if it could present itself as an USB Ethernet interface.  (I have a TM03, like the TM04 with a smaller battery)

At some point between unboxing and flashing OpenWRT, I had a microSD card inserted, and plugging the device into my laptop presented the SD card as a UMS device.  I think this might be the behavior when the router is powered off and the device is plugged in to a USB host.

There’s a generic SD to USB Bridge chip in there that’s connected to the SoC’s USB lines. From what you’re describing they’ve either got the same bridge chip wired into the micro USB charging port too. I can’t imagine they’d have them wired up together directly (as USB is pretty specific when it comes to trace impedance, etc.) so my guess is they’ve got a MUX chip on the USB data lines from the SD to USB bridge, controlled by the little MCU that handles battery charging/power button duties. When the router is off, the MCU toggles the MUX to direct the USB data lines to the micro USB port instead of the main SoC.

Even if it was all directly connected together, you still couldn’t use it to directly hook a computer up to the router’s SoC, as the SoC is acting as a USB host, not a device. (Though I’d guess these Ralink SoCs support USB OTG, but that almost always requires a hardware connection which in this case isn’t exposed.)

TL;DR: No, not feasible.

(Last edited by timb on 28 Jul 2015, 09:21)

Can someone explain why, despite vlan’s being disabled, the router always boots with both an eth0 and eth0.1 interface? There is no configuration for it in /etc/config/network and, as far as I can see it serves no purpose. (Taking it down with 'ifconfig eth0.1 down’ doesn’t affect access to anything, as far as I can see.)

So, where is this being enabled from?

(Last edited by timb on 28 Jul 2015, 09:20)

Can someone who is knowledgeable enough please make another update on the wiki page, at least the title to identify the supported models.  http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hootoo/tripmate-nano

It might be appropriate at this point, as the supported models appear to be growing, to have a HooToo page with cross model content and then link this to model specific pages with their respective content.  There also is a TM-05 at this point, which I am not sure has been cracked.

Also, it appears that someone has created a new TM-02 V1.5 page, which is probably not appropriate.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/hoot … =revisions

The Table of Hardware is also behind this product.  It only includes the TM-02.  I know it's in flux right now.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

(Last edited by RangerZ on 28 Jul 2015, 14:25)

Does anyone know if Under OpenWRT if both the USB ports on the TM04 can support USB devices, or if like in stock one is just for charging?

Also regarding the TM03, there was a post about installing from the sd card.  Is it correct that after install and some config, that the USB will also function to support a USB storage or wireless device?

Finally, has anyone tested any of the battery versions for some level of run or charge time   I realize that it is a function of use, but can we at least frame it in 0-4, 4-8, 8 or more hours.  I have a 10200mah rechargeable battery and it takes about 12hrs to recharge when connected to my PC, so I can expect it's overnight to fully charge the 6000 mah units.

RangerZ wrote:

I have a 10200mah rechargeable battery and it takes about 12hrs to recharge when connected to my PC, so I can expect it's overnight to fully charge the 6000 mah units.

charging from your PC is likely to be slow and use only 0.5A 5V; try an adapter that supports at least 1A or whatever your device's rated input capacity is.

I have a $10 microUSB cable that has a small VFD that displays how much current is flowing through, useful for debugging these things

RangerZ wrote:

Does anyone know if Under OpenWRT if both the USB ports on the TM04 can support USB devices, or if like in stock one is just for charging?

Using Chaos_Calmer rc3 only one USB port is recognized.  The second only supports charging.

Thanks for your reply

I am taking the Road Warrior approach.  I do not want to carry an extra adapter if I have a viable way to recharge the device (PC USB Port).  That said I am more interested in how long the devices run before they power off than time to charge.

I used my RavPower RP-PB31 7800mAh battery.  Output is 5V/2.4A and 5v/2a input.  I ran two tests.  The first at idle, and then a second with YouTube continually running over OpenVPN.  I was surprised that both tests were in the 15 hr range.  I expected something lower for the test under load.  The manual says 5v/1A, but it looks like the average consumption was about 500 mAh. 

That implies the TM03  should run in the 6 hour range, and the others should go 10-12. 

Are you able to do a discharge test on the TM03, and can you confirm if both the SD and USB can be used for media devices simultaneously?

wingspinner wrote:
Preluder wrote:

can someone help me with reverting the stock firmware back on the TM02?  I have all the files from the USB drive. Thanks

I've tried to write the instructions here twice and the forum keeps logging me before I finish and I loose all my work so I'll compose offline and then cut and past. In the meantime I'll leave you with some pointers though....

1. Connect to the serial console
2. Setup a TFTP server (lots of instructions around on how to do that)
3. Using uboot and your TFTP server, reprogram the "u-boot" partition with "Bootloader.bin"
4. Reboot into the original factory uboot and using that program the "ALL" partition with "ALL.bin".
5. Reboot - you are done

BTW, it can also be done from the ash command line but it's a bit more complicated. In short you'd need to do this:

1. Shutdown the squashFS and run out of a ramdisk
2. Using mtd write "Bootloader.bin" to the u-boot MTD partition
3. Concantenate Kernel_RootFS.bin + params.bin + user_backup.bin + user.bin + Rootfs.bin into one file using cat
4. Useing mtd write that file to the firmware MTD partition
5. Reboot

Ideally, someone could write a short script to do the above but my time is tight and I don't have time to write it or test it at the moment. I strongly recommend that if one just wants to experiment with OpenWRT that they use a platform that can easily be switched back and forth like RPi or beagle black (I prefer the latter).

Hope this helps

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to revert back to stock? I am correct to say the first method requires additional hardware (serial console)? I am trying to understand how to revert back to stock without needing additional hardware, but I am stuck even on step one (Shutdown the squashFS and run out of a ramdisk) :S Can someone point me to the right direction if at all possible?

I was successfully able to load openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r44945-ws.bin image on my HooToo TH-01 this evening. I can get it to route between ethernet and wireless interfaces without any issues. However, one thing i cannot make it do is wireless repeating (ap + sta modes). In the system log i see

Tue Mar 24 06:41:09 2015 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (6899): Interface 0 setup failed: BRIDGE_NOT_ALLOWED

I realize that TH-01 is technically not fully supported (thought my understanding hardware is the same..), but just wanted to see if this is specific to this model, or this is generally an issue with TH-02 models too? Or perhaps i am just doing something completely incorrect.

configs:

v@vmb ~> ssh 192.168.1.1
config wifi-iface
        option ssid 'W-GuestRooms'
BusyBox v1.22.1 (2015-03-23 00:18:43 PDT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
        option mode 'sta'
  _______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 CHAOS CALMER (Bleeding Edge, r44945)
  * 1 1/2 oz Gin            Shake with a glassful
  * 1/4 oz Triple Sec       of broken ice and pour
  * 3/4 oz Lime Juice       unstrained into a goblet.
  * 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
  * 1 tsp. Grenadine Syrup
root@OpenWrt:~#
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
    option type 'mac80211'
    option hwmode '11g'
    option path '10180000.wmac'
    option htmode 'HT20'
    option disabled '0'
    option channel '1'
    option txpower '20'
    option country '00'

config wifi-iface
    option ssid 'W-GuestRooms'
    option encryption 'none'
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'sta'
    option bssid 'C4:01:7C:26:8A:C8'
    option network 'lan'

config wifi-iface
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'ap'
    option ssid 'OpenWrt'
    option encryption 'none'
    option network 'wwan'

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/network

config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fdd4:3230:735f::/48'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option force_link '1'
    option macaddr '00:1c:c2:15:91:c5'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ip6assign '60'

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '0'

config interface 'wwan'
    option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'stabridge'
    option proto 'relay'
    list network 'lan'
    list network 'wwan'

root@OpenWrt:~#

I too am interested in this.  I have 2 TM-02's one i bricked the other i would like to get back to stock ideally through SSH / web gui.  I have USB files however i am not sure which TM-02 they came from not sure if that matters or not?

ken218 wrote:
wingspinner wrote:
Preluder wrote:

can someone help me with reverting the stock firmware back on the TM02?  I have all the files from the USB drive. Thanks

I've tried to write the instructions here twice and the forum keeps logging me before I finish and I loose all my work so I'll compose offline and then cut and past. In the meantime I'll leave you with some pointers though....

1. Connect to the serial console
2. Setup a TFTP server (lots of instructions around on how to do that)
3. Using uboot and your TFTP server, reprogram the "u-boot" partition with "Bootloader.bin"
4. Reboot into the original factory uboot and using that program the "ALL" partition with "ALL.bin".
5. Reboot - you are done

BTW, it can also be done from the ash command line but it's a bit more complicated. In short you'd need to do this:

1. Shutdown the squashFS and run out of a ramdisk
2. Using mtd write "Bootloader.bin" to the u-boot MTD partition
3. Concantenate Kernel_RootFS.bin + params.bin + user_backup.bin + user.bin + Rootfs.bin into one file using cat
4. Useing mtd write that file to the firmware MTD partition
5. Reboot

Ideally, someone could write a short script to do the above but my time is tight and I don't have time to write it or test it at the moment. I strongly recommend that if one just wants to experiment with OpenWRT that they use a platform that can easily be switched back and forth like RPi or beagle black (I prefer the latter).

Hope this helps

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to revert back to stock? I am correct to say the first method requires additional hardware (serial console)? I am trying to understand how to revert back to stock without needing additional hardware, but I am stuck even on step one (Shutdown the squashFS and run out of a ramdisk) :S Can someone point me to the right direction if at all possible?

I am using a HT-TM03, flashed it like a TM02, just with microSD instead of USB, worked fine!

Now i am wondering, is it possible to easily run ddserver on this thing?
https://github.com/hubaiz/DslrDashboardServer

Thanks in advance, Michael.

Before jumping in with this project, I am considering using this as a wireless bridge or client.  So, can you tell me what the operating wifi power range is for the TM02 after this OpenWRT is installed?

I am on CC RC3.  The power is set at 20dBm 100mw, but the drop down goes to 30dBm 1000mw.  Not tried any thing other than default.  I get full signal at about 15 feet and through a wall.

Hard to give you a good speed test as I have it set up to run OpenVPN.  With a second radio on the USB, I can get about 5/2.5 Mb over OpenVPN running wireless on both sides and about 15 feet between the HooToo and the router it's talking too.

It's a great device, but I would buy the TM-03 for a few bucks more to get the battery, unless you are going to use it at home in a fixed application.

RangerZ wrote:

I am on CC RC3.

Are you using the TM03? What Version of RC3 are you using? Or did you build it yourself?

ijon_tichy wrote:

I am using a HT-TM03, flashed it like a TM02, just with microSD instead of USB, worked fine!

Now i am wondering, is it possible to easily run ddserver on this thing?
https://github.com/hubaiz/DslrDashboardServer

Thanks in advance, Michael.

On my HT-TM04 ddserver is working fine.
Just follow my post on
http://dslrdashboard.info/phpBB3/viewto … 8202f84297
It should also work on your TM03.
Make sure that you download ddserver package for rt305x platform:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMZ8X … sp=sharing

Good luck!

(Last edited by octav59 on 6 Aug 2015, 11:06)

ijon_tichy wrote:

Are you using the TM03? What Version of RC3 are you using? Or did you build it yourself?

Sorry I was not clear.  I have a TM02.  If you need it for travel you really want a battery.  If it will be stationary then it does not matter as much.  All the TM01-TM04 use the same software.  There is a slightly different approach to installing on the TM02 (SD card vs USB)

There is only 1 version of CC RC3 that I am aware of.  I did not build it.  I do not suggest building this if you have not used the product before and there is a version that will work for you.  Start with something that works.  Trunk does not have the GUI, so it's another complexity you CAN avoid to start.  You can upgrade later with trunk or your own.  Just backup and save your /etc/config and keep a list of packages you installed after initial upgrade.

If you want to bridge you either need relayd or to add another (USB) wireless adapter.  See my other posts in the last few pages.  Expect this to apply for any other device in this class as they all have only one radio.  realyd was to hard and to slow.

If I were to do this again, I would probably get a GL.iNet.  It's got more brains, two Ethernet ports and already running on OpenWRT custom version.  I prefer to run cable when ever I can as it's faster and more secure.  Its more money, about $25 delivered as opposed to $18-20 USD.  No Battery.

http://www.gl-inet.com/w/?page_id=676
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/gl-inet/gl-inet
https://revspace.nl/GL-iNet
https://www.google.com/search?q=gl.inet … p;oe=utf-8

This is a great tutorial.  Very easy to upload OpenWRT compared to some other routers I've used, thanks to your hard work and documentation.  A question - if you were to mod with an external antenna, where would you attach the lead and braid of the coax?  I'm interested in trying to max out the range in the same way others have done for the TP-Link WR703n:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=46543

I understand linux and openwrt pretty well, but I know very little about antenna design.
Thanks for any thoughts.

RangerZ wrote:

If I were to do this again, I would probably get a GL.iNet.  It's got more brains, two Ethernet ports and already running on OpenWRT custom version.  I prefer to run cable when ever I can as it's faster and more secure.  Its more money, about $25 delivered as opposed to $18-20 USD.  No Battery.

http://www.gl-inet.com/w/?page_id=676
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/gl-inet/gl-inet
https://revspace.nl/GL-iNet
https://www.google.com/search?q=gl.inet … p;oe=utf-8

This is fantastic!  From what I can see, you get their custom-built OpenWRT out of the box, plus a way to run pure OpenWRT, and even DD-WRT, on this little box.  I have already ordered one, and my HooToo will probably get ignored now... (Or, once I become more comfortable with OpenWRT using the GL.iNET, I'll come back here and do it all again with my TM02.)

Once you get it please start a new threat "Gl.iNet 6416A" and let us know what you install and how it goes.  There are a few people interested and frietpan has also ordered one.

Sorry, posts 251 to 250 are missing from our archive.