OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: $10 reward. Remove OPENWRT from TP-LINK WDR 3500-Help enter failsafe

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I flashed the original firmware fine.  Got into the configuration fine and set the root password. Then I started setting up the router as an access point.  At some point the LuCI GUI started not starting or starting very slowly.  I'm now at the point when if I access LuCI I just get a black screen that never proceeds to the login.  Since this has occured I have tried changing my IP to static similar to the router and telnet'ing/ssh though putty.  Never once has it connected and it times out in about 20 seconds.  I have tried setting it into failsafe mode which seems to be working however it still refuses any connection.  I do have the ability to run linux if need be to fix this problem.  Any help anyone could give me would be appreciated.  I will start to search for more links around the forum just wanted to get this post out there in case someone could direct me better.

(Last edited by Red40 on 30 Jul 2015, 17:02)

Focus on troubleshooting failsafe. You should be able to get in that way and use that to reset to defaults.

troubleshooting fail safe mode?   If I enter fail safe mode nothing changes.  No ping, telnet or ssh.  Anything else you can tell me would help,  this thing is about to get hit with a hammer.  Then shot.  Then lit on fire with gasoline.

can I use a command line editor to do anything here? or must I log in first?  Is there anyway to access the config files on the router to alter in linux?

(Last edited by Red40 on 29 Jul 2015, 19:04)

Red40 wrote:

troubleshooting fail safe mode?   If I enter fail safe mode nothing changes.  No ping, telnet or ssh.  Anything else you can tell me would help,  this thing is about to get hit with a hammer.  Then shot.  Then lit on fire with gasoline.

can I use a command line editor to do anything here? or must I log in first?  Is there anyway to access the config files on the router to alter in linux?

Why do you think you've successfully entered failsafe if telnet doesn't work? If failsafe is working, telnet is enabled. No password is required (via telnet) in failsafe. I believe ping should also work. So to me, it doesn't sound like you've gotten into failsafe.

Other things to try:
- Make sure you set a static IP on your PC in the same range.
- Make sure you are using a wired connection (wireless is not enabled in failsafe)
- A few routers require that you connect to the WAN port instead of a LAN port, but I don't think this is one of them.

Can you also provide a link to the exact file you flashed?

(Last edited by drawz on 29 Jul 2015, 20:16)

so far I have tried to do this on centos to no avail.  Virtual box in order to install ubuntu and that hangs on installs(get-apt) and network.  No moving of the vmware to get a damn copy of ubuntu running in order to run the pos tftp server.  Maybe this thing unbricks by next week but i doubt I can hold off annihilating it in the mean time.

I must note open wrt is the worst software I have ever had to deal with by far.  I wish I could delete this crap so bad.

Failsafe mode hold the reset buttton while rebooting.  Until it starts flashing very fast.  I can do this no problem but the router never opens up. connection fails.  etc

Now I just want the factory firmware back with all the trouble this has caused.

got a telnet to work however it will not let me change password says the file is read only.  Any Ideas?

Did you run "mount_root" as instructed in the failsafe page on the wiki? Do that then "firstboot" to reset to defaults. Reboot the router and configure everything using the web interface. Or go back to stock, but be careful doing that - you can brick your router doing that as well. The wiki is helpful here too, but you'll actually have to follow those directions carefully or you will have a brick.

I did mount_root and firstboot and got back into GUI for a little bit.  Attempted reflash but doesnt look like it when through. So back a square one for the time being.

i wanna run a sysupgrade to an old tp-link firmware.  If I could ever manage to do it.

(Last edited by Red40 on 30 Jul 2015, 03:56)

Not sure how I managed to telnet in with failsafe mode the first time lucky I guess.  Now I am unable to recreate failsafe mode even watching using the windows program that does nothing(recvudp) the whole time it runs.   Never tells me to hit a button.

-Need help with failsafe
-need help with telnet
-neeed help ssh
-need help removing wrt.

would like to know more about MRT(?) program and tools to help me copy files around.  Also what operating system do I need to do all this stuff.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

From generic install:
"via OpenWrt CLI

You can use the program mtd for this:"

What is mtd, what operating system.....?

(Last edited by Red40 on 30 Jul 2015, 06:59)

$10 to whoever gets it factory restored.

Red40 wrote:

got a telnet to work however it will not let me change password says the file is read only.  Any Ideas?

How did u get the telnet to work - I'm having exactly the same issues

Did you follow the wiki carefully? Did you try both methods of rapidly pressing the hardware button during boot? Did you try timing it as soon as the Sys LED lights up? This advice is all in the wiki.

You also have the option of a TFTP flash recovery. Also well described in the wiki.

Are you connecting over an ethernet (i.e. not wireless) connection? Did you try the WAN port instead of a LAN port? Did you set a static IP?

The discussion might have continued from here.